GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My gs wont start properly! (start button issue)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 10:40 PM
redhwangso
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My gs wont start properly! (start button issue)

I have about 60k miles on my car. Usually, when i would step on the brakes and push the Start button, the car would start. However, recently, if i did that, the car wouldnt start. It would attempt, but fail. Now, i have to HOLD the button in until it starts. Everything else seems to be working fine.

is this a common occurance to anyone with a PUSH button start? or is there something wrong? Low battery or new ignition module?
Old 12-01-09, 10:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wonder if the ignition system is not picking up the key fob. I wonder if a new battery in the key fob will fix that. I had an issue when I first got my car where the car wouldn't pick up the signal and wouldn't start and sometimes it wouldn't even let me into the car. The dealership changed the battery 2 times and it helped for a little bit, but then finally ended up just replacing the ignition system under warranty
Old 12-01-09, 11:09 PM
redhwangso
Rookie

my educated guess is that it is not the problem of the key fob (changed its battery couple of months ago). It's detecting my keys....

its hard to judge because it is a push start, rather than the traditional Turn start.

U know how older cars, you need to turn and hold for little longer for the car to start? it kinda feels like that. Im just hoping, its something not major, and i just have to accept the fact that the car is getting old.
Old 12-02-09, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

could it be car battery? i am not 100%, but i doubt it's a starter problem? car only has 60k
Old 12-02-09, 06:12 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have to hold it down, you are "cranking" the engine. It's described in the manual somehwhere.

The reasons you would have to "crank" the engine, are the same for a push start car as any other car.

Some things would be:

- Weak battery not providing quite enough juice to the starter
- Bad alternator causing the weak battery
- Bad starter having a hard time turning over the engine effectively
- Fuel delivery issues (fuel pump) is not pressurizing your fuel system as fast as it used to.
Old 12-02-09, 06:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by redhwangso
I have about 60k miles on my car. Usually, when i would step on the brakes and push the Start button, the car would start. However, recently, if i did that, the car wouldnt start. It would attempt, but fail. Now, i have to HOLD the button in until it starts. Everything else seems to be working fine.

is this a common occurance to anyone with a PUSH button start? or is there something wrong? Low battery or new ignition module?
How long do you have to hold the button b 4 it starts?
Old 12-02-09, 09:02 AM
redhwangso
Rookie

its not too long... probably for 2 ~ 3 seconds. It felt like it was more than necessary Since before just push of a button would start the car.

Couple weeks ago, i did help my friend jumpstart his car. Could that be the reason why? Damn Mercury!
Old 12-02-09, 09:10 AM
fides7
Driver School Candidate

I had the same prob happen to my 07 gs350 about 2 months ago. Had the Start button replaced but that did not fix problem. Believe it or not the issue was an exhaust manifold that had become "clogged up". Dealer replaced under warranty and no probs since. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails My gs wont start properly! (start button issue)-img_8311.jpg  
Old 12-02-09, 09:16 AM
redhwangso
Rookie

thanks fides... but unfortunately.. im out of warranty... FML
Old 12-02-09, 09:20 AM
fides7
Driver School Candidate

thanks fides... but unfortunately.. im out of warranty... FML
my car had about 58K when it was towed in. Service rep told me at that time that I had 8yr/80K warranty on the part that was replaced.
Old 12-02-09, 04:43 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fides7
I had the same prob happen to my 07 gs350 about 2 months ago. Had the Start button replaced but that did not fix problem. Believe it or not the issue was an exhaust manifold that had become "clogged up". Dealer replaced under warranty and no probs since. Hope this helps.
how was the car running before?

my friend's ls430's having a same issue as op. it will crank, but at least 5-7 seconds to start the car. first, he replaced battery.. second, the dealer diagnosed the problem as fuel pump, but didn't help either. i wonder if this is somehow related to exhaust manifold.
Old 12-02-09, 06:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am absolutely going to be buying the extended warranty on this car. I am 46k right now so I don't have a lot of time
Old 12-02-09, 06:58 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am absolutely going to be buying the extended warranty on this car. I am 46k right now so I don't have a lot of time
Wouldn't most of the things that will go wrong be "Basic" warranty things? I had an extended warranty on my last toyota and it didn't do me a lick of good even once. The first thing that broke that would have been covered by it, was like a month out of ECP.
Old 12-03-09, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

its not too long... probably for 2 ~ 3 seconds. It felt like it was more than necessary Since before just push of a button would start the car.

Couple weeks ago, i did help my friend jumpstart his car. Could that be the reason why? Damn Mercury!
When you push the start button and let go, its suppose to hold crank for something 10 or 15 second or until the car starts. If you let go of the button and the car stop cranking, there is a problem with either the start computer or some kind of sensor.
Old 12-03-09, 10:45 AM
redhwangso
Rookie

ill try to upload a vid of it. I can take it to the dealer, but its gonna cost me an arm and a leg just for them to inspect whats wrong with it.. and anohter $$$$$ just to fix it. But then again, i shouldnt have gotten a lexus then.. lol

Quick Reply: My gs wont start properly! (start button issue)