GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2010 Stereo questions (yes -did a search already)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 02:01 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Driven a 08 TL-S , I got 06 GS300 ML and I find that the GS has better sound quality IMO. Strong and crisp, tested both at full blast too.
Old 12-05-09, 07:28 PM
chauss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound quality is very subjective.
What sounds good to some may not for others.
Old 12-06-09, 05:27 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
Driven a 08 TL-S , I got 06 GS300 ML and I find that the GS has better sound quality IMO. Strong and crisp, tested both at full blast too.
The 09 & 10 Acura is an entire new car and stereo than the 08. I had an 04, which is the same as the 08 Acura. The new system is a very noticable step up.

I know all about the debate over stereo systems, and more specifically the debate over the ML system. I think it's a good system, but I think it is over rated and over priced. While I agree that sound is subjective, I found a test in Edmunds comparing all of the top car stereo's for 2010 - the Acura beats them all. The ML in the LS460 finished second, and from what I've heard the ML in the LS is better than the GS.

Regardless of my comments above, as stated I will get the ML if I get a GS - which is a very good chance I will in the next week or two.

Again, thanks for the input.
Old 12-06-09, 08:03 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Default I would not get ML...

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Next, we listened to both systems with discs that I had with me. The ML sounds a little better, but not night and day. Having said that, all three of us agreed that it was enough of a difference that I would get the ML. My theory is that if I'm going to spend the money to get a Lexus, then why stop short of the best stereo they have to offer.
I was faced with exact same decision when I was ordering my 2010 GS a few weeks ago. I currently drive the 2007 GS with ML, and I'm not very impressed with the sound system. It does sound better than the stereo in my 2004 TL, and I have not compared it to the new TL's stereo.

I went to the dealer and asked to listen to the standard stereo in the GS, and I found very little difference from the ML. For my money the ML would be a waste of $1,500 or so. So I ordered my 2010 GS 450h without the ML.

I also did not order the factory navigation system. I consider any system that does not allow the driver to program it when driving to be garbage. I do have the navi in my 2007 GS. Back in 2007 you could not buy GS 450h without ML and Navi. The 2010 GS 450h I ordered is the base model. I would supplement it with the best available Garmin navi for $300.
Old 12-06-09, 08:50 AM
chauss
Driver

my .02
Get the standard stereo and do an upgrade yourself with the money saved.
Wish I would have....the ML system is VERY expensive to upgrade...
Old 12-06-09, 11:55 AM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had true 5.1 DVD players in my last three cars. I'm not sure why you say you couldn't see ever using it, but each to their own.
because I daily drive my car to work and back. I don't ever see me watching/listening to concerts in my car. The type of music I listen to I just download from itunes and play it from my ipod so thats why I dont really care about a true 5.1 surround sound in my car.
Old 12-06-09, 12:12 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Amalan
because I daily drive my car to work and back. I don't ever see me watching/listening to concerts in my car. The type of music I listen to I just download from itunes and play it from my ipod so thats why I dont really care about a true 5.1 surround sound in my car.
I don't watch them either - but a 5.1 surround is improved sound regardless of whether you are watching it or not.
Old 12-06-09, 12:19 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

I don't watch them either - but a 5.1 surround is improved sound regardless of whether you are watching it or not.
No not really because the music you buy at stores or on itunes isnt 5.1. I honestly think that only a few genres of music would sound good in 5.1 (eg. classical). Everything else you can't really separate the music into different elements and distribute them individually to each speaker region. Most music is recorded in stereo and the car will emulate surround sound but it isnt a true 5.1 surround sound that you would get on a dvd.
Old 12-06-09, 02:31 PM
jjscsix
Racer

No not really because the music you buy at stores or on itunes isnt 5.1. I honestly think that only a few genres of music would sound good in 5.1 (eg. classical). Everything else you can't really separate the music into different elements and distribute them individually to each speaker region. Most music is recorded in stereo and the car will emulate surround sound but it isnt a true 5.1 surround sound that you would get on a dvd.
You don't think DVD-A's recorded in DTS or one of the other surround sound formats have discrete surround sound?

Also, all of the cars I've had with surround sound stereos will play DVD-videos of concerts recorded in 5.1. You can still listen to them even though you are not watching them. I do it all the time.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about discs that are available and specifically state that they are 5.1 surround sound.

Last edited by jjscsix; 12-06-09 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-06-09, 02:33 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

You don't think DVD-A's have discrete surround sound?
No they do I am saying that the type of music that is actually recorded on dvd-a is very limited.
Old 12-06-09, 05:51 PM
jjscsix
Racer

No they do I am saying that the type of music that is actually recorded on dvd-a is very limited.
Thanks for the clarification - I do agree with that.
Old 12-07-09, 03:23 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

To be honest, I thought that DVD-A was finally dead. It was already dying when I bought my 2004 Acura TL. I bought a couple of DVD-A discs, but found them to be a really poor value: I can truly tell the difference from regular stereo sound only when the car is not moving.
Old 12-10-09, 01:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i guess everyone is different, i have listened to the new tl system, it's "louder", but idon't think it's as clear.

on the lexus side, the gs ml audio is noticeably better than the premium, but i have to agree that it's far from the normal "ml" audio that i expect on lexus. the 2is has much better ml audio, not to mention the reference system in ls460 which is far superior. the ml system in the gs just lacks the punch and clarity compared to other ml systems. i don't know why, i blame the car

with that said, i also notice big difference between playing dvd and normal audio cd

the ls460 has hdd system, but i believe even for 2010 gs it's still just dvd base, no hdd. trust me, the hdd isn't that much more exciting. you can't copy mp3 songs directly, you can only pop in audio cds and copy from that. in my case most of my songs in computer are already in mp3 format, so when i had my ls460l, the hdd was always empty. i always just burn mp3 cds

2010 has usb connection so that's a plus, get an ipod and you are set