GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What happens to the bluetooth when you get a new phone

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 06:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default What happens to the bluetooth when you get a new phone

Hey guys I have been using a old Razor phone and I have been wanting to get a new phone but I am afraid of having issue connecting the car. HAve you guys had any issues connecting the phone to the car when you got a new phone????? Do you have to reenter any numbers??? what should I expect?? anything to watch out for ????
Old 12-08-09, 06:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just reconnect? i changed my phone (nokia to iphone) and took me about 15 secs to connect

phone information still in the car. it's stored in the car (which i honestly don't like)
Old 12-08-09, 08:38 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it will just add that profile for that phone, you also have 2 phone books, if your not going to use the other phone or phone book any longer and you want to copy everything over from the new phone, I would just delete everything in the Lexus console and start fresh so you know what you have.
Old 12-08-09, 10:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the tip guys. I figured it would be set up pretty well from Lexus.
Old 12-09-09, 05:15 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
phone information still in the car. it's stored in the car (which i honestly don't like)
you have to actully go in to settings and delete the old phone from the system...it wont automatically replace it with the new...
Old 12-09-09, 05:40 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've changed phones multiple times in the short period that I've owned the car. I started with an iPhone 2G, but couldn't get my phone book in the car with it and it even seemed to cause the whole head unit to freak out in a reboot cycle which hasn't happened since I went back to my old sony ericcson phone.

You just delete the pairing for the old phone and pair the new one, that's it. You can have multiple phones set up in the car at the same time.

The biggest pain with the setup is that there is no way to edit your phone book using the car at all that I can figure out... you need to maintain your phone book in the phone only.
Old 12-09-09, 06:48 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question. I have a blackberry storm and want to add a speeddial. Should i do that from my phone or from the car??
IT annoys me when someones calls and no number or name appears on the screen... why is that??
Old 12-09-09, 06:50 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider
I have a question. I have a blackberry storm and want to add a speeddial. Should i do that from my phone or from the car??
IT annoys me when someones calls and no number or name appears on the screen... why is that??
Speed Dial is called 1-Touch in the car, you set that up in the car after you import your phone book.

As for nothing showing up on the screen, this happens when you don't have the number in your phone book - I think the NUMBER still shows up, no? I'm guessing it's a limitation of the handsfree bluetooth profile, as most handsfree devices don't even have displays (think of the car as just a 2 ton bluetooth headset).
Old 12-09-09, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by nehal51086
you have to actully go in to settings and delete the old phone from the system...it wont automatically replace it with the new...
yup, that's something i dont' like about lexus at all. i can't seem to understand the concept of transferring the phones over. that sounds very unsafe. what if the car is stolen, all the info is in there? not to mention the time to transfer.

bmw system is much better. the bluetooth access the phones directory to browse through the phone book -- always instant, always updated
Old 12-09-09, 09:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

It annoys the hell out of me as well. I always have to pull my phone out of suitcase or bag to see if I want to answer. I think if we had the nav override we wouldnt have this issue, but I dont want some clown messing with the wiring in my car and creating issue. Can you imagine chasing down an electrical issue in car this advanced
Old 12-09-09, 11:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

coz' lexus nav locks out everything when moving. that's why i love my override. when phone rings, i hit the button and see the number so i know who's calling me before i answer. all with the phone still in my pocket
Old 12-09-09, 11:47 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Someone correct me if im wrong...but this is what i had to do with the IS, I am almost 100% sure i see names while im driving.

the bluetooth phone sesytem is desinged to show the name of a person that calls...here are the requiremnts
1. name and phone number must be stored in the car phone book.
2. phone numbers in both places must match exactly

when u get a call, ur phone only forwards the phone number to the car (or the car only looks at the number), depending on whose service u have when u get a call it may have something in front of what u think is the phone number like + or +1 (or nothing at all).....you will see names of the caller on the nav screen if the phone numbers in the cars phone book matches what ever ur carrier uses.

for example
phone number in phone- 704-123-4567
number from carrier- +17041234567
the car will not make the connection (but ur phone will)

easiest way to see what your phone numbers should look like is go to the call log in the car and see what the incoming phone numbers look like, make the adjustments in ur phones phonebook and update the cars phonebook.....and you should see names of callers even if your driving....a bit of a hassle...but i think its worth it...ill verify on my drive home today...
Old 12-09-09, 12:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by nehal51086
Someone correct me if im wrong...but this is what i had to do with the IS, I am almost 100% sure i see names while im driving.

the bluetooth phone sesytem is desinged to show the name of a person that calls...here are the requiremnts
1. name and phone number must be stored in the car phone book.
2. phone numbers in both places must match exactly

when u get a call, ur phone only forwards the phone number to the car (or the car only looks at the number), depending on whose service u have when u get a call it may have something in front of what u think is the phone number like + or +1 (or nothing at all).....you will see names of the caller on the nav screen if the phone numbers in the cars phone book matches what ever ur carrier uses.

for example
phone number in phone- 704-123-4567
number from carrier- +17041234567
the car will not make the connection (but ur phone will)

easiest way to see what your phone numbers should look like is go to the call log in the car and see what the incoming phone numbers look like, make the adjustments in ur phones phonebook and update the cars phonebook.....and you should see names of callers even if your driving....a bit of a hassle...but i think its worth it...ill verify on my drive home today...
unless my car is working differently, when the car is moving (>5mph), when someone calls, there will be no display of either the number or the name of person calling

it only displays when the car is stopped. if i recall that's the case on all the is, gs, ls, lx i have worked on
Old 12-09-09, 01:15 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

on my drive home today, i had my sis call me....her name did come up...shes in my car phone book's speed dial if that makes a difference...i was on the highway doing atleast 70mph...

We both have AT&T and i do not have + or +1 in front of my phone numbers...

IS this not working for anyone else?...no one at all?
Old 12-09-09, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

really, that's interesting, we need more people to chime in for sure. it would definitely be a plus i have to say

you don't have any nav/dvd hack done on your car right?

Quick Reply: What happens to the bluetooth when you get a new phone