GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

BBK owners please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 06:46 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default BBK owners please chime in

So what are you doing for a spare tire

I am fortunate to have a spare I guess with my GS but now with the larger BBK its worthless. So today I got to find out the hard way when its snowing/freezing rain out today Luckily it happened right in front of my house but trying to lift my car with a flat tire made for some fun times Guess the fact the jack just barely made it out from the car when I changed the summer tires off the car I never though...what the F do I do if I get a flat

So has anyone found something or tried the ISF spare? I was lucky that the tire can be fixed tomorrow but I want to be ready if this happens again.

Thanks
Old 12-08-09, 11:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well for my car, even without a flat i can't stick a freaking jack in anyway, so it doesn't really matter. if anything happens there is probably little chance i can change the spare myself. so aaa and lexus roadside is probably my best bet

but in any case, if i have to choose, i will probably try to just get some cheap 19s. technically there are aftermarket 18s that will fit, but i don't like to pay that. infiniti g 19s can be a good choice, some of them are already designed to fit over bbk
Old 12-09-09, 04:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

yea this is typical for a lot of owners with bbk. i dont have a bbk but ive had them before on other cars. typically you want to stay with 18s and up.
Old 12-09-09, 05:01 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yea I had to pull it in my garage and lift from the rear of the car with boards under the rear tire. Had I been out on the road I would have been SOL. Not what I wanted to do last night but I really did luck out. I found out it was a nail so I can get it patched today.

I cant imagine them trying to get my car on a flat bed with it being so low now? especially with the flat tire.
Old 12-09-09, 05:05 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

if they have any common sense they will use boards to help get the car on the flatbed.

hopefully the nail was not too close to the sidewall.
Old 12-09-09, 06:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I was going to try a spacer with the spare but I have yet to go get them from a local member being so busy. I had read that it wont help but I would think if the spacer pushes it out far enough that it would? I really wish we had a full size spare and I wouldn't have this issue. I was surprised the spare was still inflated when I pulled it out of the trunk.

I should be okay with fixing the tire. One of the buildings next to my office was having roof work done so I can only assume I picked up the nail by my office. I had my low tire light go on and off the past few days but since it was going off I assumed it was just the temp change. What is crazy is how the nail came back out or what caused it to come out. Never had this happen before but sliding around on the roads yesterday I'm sure didn't help out.

Just waiting for Discount to open up so I can get it patched and not plugged. They have a great service for this I may have damaged the tire driving home depending on when the nail came out if so then the tire is trashed but I dont show any signs of the sidewall being damaged or driving on.
Old 12-09-09, 07:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

For my 2GS with Brembo 355GT brakes, I consulted with Brandon from the Tire Rack on getting a spare that was the right offset & would clear + included the different lug nuts you'd need if you used it.

Beyond the obvious brake clearance, I looked for 1) cheap (it is a spare afterall) and 2) light (don't want a 45 lb wheel back there) 3) overall size would fit in my spare tire well.

He recommended the 18" SE Fox 5 at $165 and a lightweight performance tire to go with it. This was several years ago, not sure if they still sell those.

At the time I really wanted to dump an extra $300 and get a single SSR competition wheel since they're so light, but I just couldn't justify that cost for 8-9 lbs and a wheel I hopefully will never use.
Old 12-09-09, 08:33 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yea I wish the 3gen allowed the full size spare like the 2gen. I was hoping I would never have this issue myself

If I go get an extra rim I am 99% sure I will never get a flat or blow out. Either way I guess we end up spending the money one way or another. Maybe I can find a used OEM rim on here and just have it sit in the trunk but I would rather the spare fit so its "clean" in my trunk

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-09-09, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by passnu2
Yea I had to pull it in my garage and lift from the rear of the car with boards under the rear tire. Had I been out on the road I would have been SOL. Not what I wanted to do last night but I really did luck out. I found out it was a nail so I can get it patched today.

I cant imagine them trying to get my car on a flat bed with it being so low now? especially with the flat tire.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
if they have any common sense they will use boards to help get the car on the flatbed.

hopefully the nail was not too close to the sidewall.
yup, a good drive will know what to do. if they can get a lambo or so on the flatbed, they will be able to get our cars on. i have seen them do it

the bad ones? even putting a rx on with scrape

I was going to try a spacer with the spare but I have yet to go get them from a local member being so busy. I had read that it wont help but I would think if the spacer pushes it out far enough that it would? I really wish we had a full size spare and I wouldn't have this issue. I was surprised the spare was still inflated when I pulled it out of the trunk.

I should be okay with fixing the tire. One of the buildings next to my office was having roof work done so I can only assume I picked up the nail by my office. I had my low tire light go on and off the past few days but since it was going off I assumed it was just the temp change. What is crazy is how the nail came back out or what caused it to come out. Never had this happen before but sliding around on the roads yesterday I'm sure didn't help out.

Just waiting for Discount to open up so I can get it patched and not plugged. They have a great service for this I may have damaged the tire driving home depending on when the nail came out if so then the tire is trashed but I dont show any signs of the sidewall being damaged or driving on.
spacer won't help, coz' it's the problem of the overall diameter of the wheel. the brakes are big, and the overall inside diameter of the stock 18s don't clear the caliper. in fact the stock calipers are thicker than most bbk so you don't need spacers to push out stock wheels more to clear

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
For my 2GS with Brembo 355GT brakes, I consulted with Brandon from the Tire Rack on getting a spare that was the right offset & would clear + included the different lug nuts you'd need if you used it.

Beyond the obvious brake clearance, I looked for 1) cheap (it is a spare afterall) and 2) light (don't want a 45 lb wheel back there) 3) overall size would fit in my spare tire well.

He recommended the 18" SE Fox 5 at $165 and a lightweight performance tire to go with it. This was several years ago, not sure if they still sell those.

At the time I really wanted to dump an extra $300 and get a single SSR competition wheel since they're so light, but I just couldn't justify that cost for 8-9 lbs and a wheel I hopefully will never use.
great info dave, for the price that's not a bad choice at all!~~~

Yea I wish the 3gen allowed the full size spare like the 2gen. I was hoping I would never have this issue myself

If I go get an extra rim I am 99% sure I will never get a flat or blow out. Either way I guess we end up spending the money one way or another. Maybe I can find a used OEM rim on here and just have it sit in the trunk but I would rather the spare fit so its "clean" in my trunk

Thanks for the info!
my sc430 had no space for spare. i only put in spare when i went on long trips
Old 12-09-09, 09:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i thought there was a thread on here about someone putting a full spare in their trunk? or maybe im thinking about another car forum where someone did that.
Old 12-09-09, 10:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

well the tire was shot and of course it has to be ordered. so I had the pleasure of driving in the snow with a spare on the back. I couldnt make it up my driveway its so bad out today and we are getting more snow/ice the rest of this week. talk about perfect timing. I had to take the rear rim and put in the front and put the spare on the back of the car so I can drive.

My OEM rims clear my BBK, barely, but they do. But the spare the car came with the rim its self doesnt clear the BBK. Its not off by much so I dont see how the spacer pushing the spare away from the caliper wouldnt allow it to work? assuming the right size spacer to give enough room. I would like to have something that will fit in the spare in the trunk if possible so I can just leave it there. Maybe I can get the dealer to test fit an ISF spare to see since they have a larger BBK.

So I hope they can get a tire by Saturday.
Old 12-09-09, 11:02 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why don't you try the supra TT spare, unless your bbk is bigger than the TT calipers
Old 12-10-09, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well the tire was shot and of course it has to be ordered. so I had the pleasure of driving in the snow with a spare on the back. I couldnt make it up my driveway its so bad out today and we are getting more snow/ice the rest of this week. talk about perfect timing. I had to take the rear rim and put in the front and put the spare on the back of the car so I can drive.

My OEM rims clear my BBK, barely, but they do. But the spare the car came with the rim its self doesnt clear the BBK. Its not off by much so I dont see how the spacer pushing the spare away from the caliper wouldnt allow it to work? assuming the right size spacer to give enough room. I would like to have something that will fit in the spare in the trunk if possible so I can just leave it there. Maybe I can get the dealer to test fit an ISF spare to see since they have a larger BBK.

So I hope they can get a tire by Saturday.
i guess you still don't get the idea. there are two dimensions for a wheel to clear bbk. one is the "depth", meaning when the wheel sits on the hub, does the spokes hit the face of the caliper.

2nd dimension is the diameter, meaning when the wheel is on, does the barrel of the wheel scrape the side of caliper (the side where you slides in and out pads).

if the first criteria is the problem, then yes, spacers will be your solution. but if it's the later case, then spacers won't help anything.

prime example is stock 18s on isf. when the wheel sits on the hub nicely, the spokes actually clears the face of the calipers fine. however the barrel is scraping the side of calipers. in that case, spacers will not help.

now i am not 100% sure which way the stock spare is not clearing the bbk, but sometimes spacers might not be the answer

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
why don't you try the supra TT spare, unless your bbk is bigger than the TT calipers
that might not work in most cases anymore, unless OP has bbk less than 14". supra tt spare is for the supra stock brakes which are "only" 12.7" in size. it clears max rotor sizes at 13.5" (ap racing), that's the max already. most of the bbk these days are 14", and in that case, the supra tt spare won't clear for sure
Old 12-10-09, 01:29 AM
heyitzalex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depending on the size of the rotor and caliper, an is-F spare might work.
Old 12-10-09, 04:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

rominl my OEM rims work just fine was my point. Your post said the OEM rims and I want to be clear that my OEM rims do work and they are my winter set up. I understand how/why the need to clear the BBK. Maybe I wasnt clear in my post but the spare hits the front of the caliper and I cant see how it would not on just about any car with a BBK. But I made an assumption with my spare and car! Most spare donuts are the same arent they?

The spare for my car hits the front of the caliper. So pushing it out with a spacer would solve this issue and this is why I posted I dont understand why others are saying this wont work. The spare has no barrel to wrap around the brake caliper that is in my car. Not sure if its GS specific or not but what I have. I also cant imagine to many "donut" spares wrapping around a BBK when on the car? they are awfully small to have a barrel on them arent they? I do not have a Full size spare with the 3gen GS to make things clear here. I "wish" I did like the 2gen GS owners!

Quick Reply: BBK owners please chime in