GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS300, M45 or LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 02:20 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally i like the M 45 better also but good luck on finding one under 25k without a higher mileage, i love my gs and the Ls is probrably one of the best cars ever built but there is something about the M 45 that catches my eye every time and they haul *** too!!!
Old 12-09-09, 02:50 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Reality check......selling your 545 to avoid deprication and buying a used car and keeping it for 1.5 yrs to 2 years and buying something else will not make financial sense. if your 545 is holding up and in good shape just drive it till you buy your next "dream car"
Old 12-09-09, 02:53 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Reality check......selling your 545 to avoid deprication and buying a used car and keeping it for 1.5 yrs to 2 years and buying something else will not make financial sense. if your 545 is holding up and in good shape just drive it till you buy your next "dream car"
Thing is, it probably isn't going to hold up good for much longer.

It would make more sense were he to sell the car and then take that money and buy something new. If you buy a 2006 worth $25k it won't be worth much in one and a half to two years.

But let's not be armchair financial advisers here, the OP did not ask for any financial advice. He asked for everyone's opinion on these three cars and which he ought to get - everything else is completely irrelevant.
Old 12-09-09, 03:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my vote goes to the LS 430. Its a better quality car than the Infiniti and will still give you the v8 power you are used to. The GS350 would be a solid compromise for fuel economy.

Remember gas prices are not going to stay where they are for a lot longer.
Old 12-09-09, 03:26 PM
chauss
Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Agree!
If your 545 is in sound shape and not needing a bunch of repairs - just keep it for another 1 1/2 yrs then buy a new car....you will probably lose less money that way than trading (loss) and buying another used car to sell down the road.
You already know you like that car...

FWIW- I did not care for the M45 for anything other than acceleration when I bought my Lexus GS. No where near the luxury and solid ride in the M45 as in the GS. The M45 is just a modern day hot rod - plain and simple. Fast in a straight line but handling leaves something to be desired...
Old 12-09-09, 06:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Way to come in, make up the same comments, then tell the man to look at a bunch of cars NOT ON HIS LIST. The GS 430 is not as "boring" as people make it to be. Its no 545 but its no slouch.

Seriously, a TSX? Going from a 545 to a TSX? He did not say he wanted to die of boredom. 0-60 in tomorrow is not fun after life in a 545. He does not want an ACCORD.

A TSX.....what on earth?

LeXuSrAcIn, at this rate, might as well check on the Sonata, Jetta, Fusion
HaHa, only you could be offended and worked up by that post for some reason It's okay, just take a deep breath. I guess the word Acura must have set something off again and you ignored or did not understand my point so I will break it down a little more for you.

The OP is looking for a car to hold him off until the new 5 series comes out and wants something not boring. He is coming from a 545 so it is going to be very difficult to get a different model that offers the performance and feel of the BMW. Only the M45 comes close from the 3 he listed as possibilities which I recommended like many others did.

A GS300 or 430 is not going to suit him in the performance, fun to drive, handling, feedback department compared to a BMW 5 series. That is not a knock against the GS, it is just not a engaging fun sports sedan like a 5 series or M45. It has its own strengths over the 5 series like nicer interior design/execution, reliability, quality, etc which the OP does not seem to care as much about.

If it was up to me I would chose a GS430 over the current 5 series any day.

Since the OP will probably take a loss or is not going to save anything by selling his current BMW to get another relatively expensive used v8 mid-higher end class sedan to own for a year or two and then sell that car to get a new BMW 550 I suggested getting a smaller sporty less expensive car to suit him for a year since going that route will save him money but he still gets a nice car. I suggested lower priced but sporty "CARS" like a 3 series, G35, or TSX just in case you did not notice the other two after seeing the TSX suggestion as you only mentioned the TSX.

If it makes you happy I will also suggest a Lexus like a used IS300 for something less expensive and still fun.

A TSX is not a fast sedan, never said it was but a used one is fun to drive, handles well, is sporty, is much cheaper to buy and own and holds its value well as demand on the used market are pretty high for them hence the suggestion.

It would make much more financial sense for him to get a 13K-15K older 3 series, TSX, IS300, or G35 then spending 25K on something nicer and more upmarket if he is trying to save some money. Nothing outrageous about that.

Not sure what the unicorns have to do with this subject but that is your business and not worth commenting on.

I do know someone in a somewhat similar situation who had a Jaguar XJ but grew tired of it, did not like all the little issues it was having, and really wanted a slightly used 997 Porsche mainly to attract women. He wanted to get rid of the XJ before it depreciated too much but was not ready to get the Porsche right away and wanted to wait a year or so for the used prices of the 997 to go down a bit and find a great deal. He has money but is not really a car guy and generally buys nicer cars just for their image or what he knows women like. He is also very frugal and tries to save as much as he can while still getting things he wants.

He was considering getting a TL, 3 series, A4 to hold him off but when going through the numbers it was going to cost more then he wanted and would not be saving what he wanted so I suggested just getting something much cheaper but still decent like a civic or corolla until he gets the Porsche if he is trying to only spend a certain amount, plus he needs a decent daily driver beater for the winter. He agreed he did not need something all that nice to hold him off and by spending half of what he was planning the numbers would work out. He ended up getting a Hyundai Elantra for a great deal and was surprisingly happy with it. He liked it and got the 911 a few months later and was happy with the chunk of money he had saved over getting a A4, TL, or 3 series. That is partly why I suggested getting something much less expensive but still fun then what the OP was originally thinking if he wants to save some money.
Old 12-09-09, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
HaHa, only you could be offended and worked up by that post for some reason It's okay, just take a deep breath. I guess the word Acura must have set something off again and you ignored or did not understand my point so I will break it down a little more for you.

The OP is looking for a car to hold him off until the new 5 series comes out and wants something not boring. He is coming from a 545 so it is going to be very difficult to get a different model that offers the performance and feel of the BMW. Only the M45 comes close from the 3 he listed as possibilities which I recommended like many others did.

A GS300 or 430 is not going to suit him in the performance, fun to drive, handling, feedback department compared to a BMW 5 series. That is not a knock against the GS, it is just not a engaging fun sports sedan like a 5 series or M45. It has its own strengths over the 5 series like nicer interior design/execution, reliability, quality, etc which the OP does not seem to care as much about.

If it was up to me I would chose a GS430 over the current 5 series any day.

Since the OP will probably take a loss or is not going to save anything by selling his current BMW to get another relatively expensive used v8 mid-higher end class sedan to own for a year or two and then sell that car to get a new BMW 550 I suggested getting a smaller sporty less expensive car to suit him for a year since going that route will save him money but he still gets a nice car. I suggested lower priced but sporty "CARS" like a 3 series, G35, or TSX just in case you did not notice the other two after seeing the TSX suggestion as you only mentioned the TSX.

If it makes you happy I will also suggest a Lexus like a used IS300 for something less expensive and still fun.

A TSX is not a fast sedan, never said it was but a used one is fun to drive, handles well, is sporty, is much cheaper to buy and own and holds its value well as demand on the used market are pretty high for them hence the suggestion.

It would make much more financial sense for him to get a 13K-15K older 3 series, TSX, IS300, or G35 then spending 25K on something nicer and more upmarket if he is trying to save some money. Nothing outrageous about that.

Not sure what the unicorns have to do with this subject but that is your business and not worth commenting on.

I do know someone in a somewhat similar situation who had a Jaguar XJ but grew tired of it, did not like all the little issues it was having, and really wanted a slightly used 997 Porsche mainly to attract women. He wanted to get rid of the XJ before it depreciated too much but was not ready to get the Porsche right away and wanted to wait a year or so for the used prices of the 997 to go down a bit and find a great deal. He has money but is not really a car guy and generally buys nicer cars just for their image or what he knows women like. He is also very frugal and tries to save as much as he can while still getting things he wants.

He was considering getting a TL, 3 series, A4 to hold him off but when going through the numbers it was going to cost more then he wanted and would not be saving what he wanted so I suggested just getting something much cheaper but still decent like a civic or corolla until he gets the Porsche if he is trying to only spend a certain amount, plus he needs a decent daily driver beater for the winter. He agreed he did not need something all that nice to hold him off and by spending half of what he was planning the numbers would work out. He ended up getting a Hyundai Elantra for a great deal and was surprisingly happy with it. He liked it and got the 911 a few months later and was happy with the chunk of money he had saved over getting a A4, TL, or 3 series. That is partly why I suggested getting something much less expensive but still fun then what the OP was originally thinking if he wants to save some money.
Your're the one worked up with a huge post no one is going to read. The OP asked for a;
GS 300
M45
LS 430

And you suggest a TSX?

Maybe you missed my post but I SUGGESTED a M45.
The TSX cannot begin to compete with those 3 cars above, it should not be mentioned.

End of story.
Old 12-09-09, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have to be honest, if i am deciding between gs300, ls430, and m45, there is no freaking way i will even peek at the tsx, it's not even close it's like if i am considering a used is250 and someone says corolla is always an option
Old 12-10-09, 06:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Your're the one worked up with a huge post no one is going to read.
I often wonder why people writes these long novel they call a post. I take one look at the length and I skip to the next one. If they really want to get their point accross, keep it short and to the point
Old 12-10-09, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by The G Man
I often wonder why people writes these long novel they call a post. I take one look at the length and I skip to the next one. If they really want to get their point accross, keep it short and to the point
that's why the new internet term:

tl;dr
Old 12-10-09, 08:57 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The bmw 545 is not faster than the gs430. In fact, the gs430 is about 0.2 faster than the 545 (0-60). Plus, the handling of the gs430 in sport mode is superb, second to none in its class. Handling is very responsive to the driver. And for that reason, you won't find many 06+ gs430 available.
But to the original post, so did the OP decide what to buy yet???
Old 12-10-09, 09:44 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by The G Man
You should tell that to Lil4X, haha.
Old 12-10-09, 10:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by scorpio74
The bmw 545 is not faster than the gs430. In fact, the gs430 is about 0.2 faster than the 545 (0-60). Plus, the handling of the gs430 in sport mode is superb, second to none in its class. Handling is very responsive to the driver. And for that reason, you won't find many 06+ gs430 available.
Sorry I disagree, the 545 will whip the 430, 0-60 and on a roadcourse. It also has an optional manual. The GS 430 handles fine in sport but I wouldn't call it the class leader (hell no one does ). I completely agree its not some "Town Car" like some internet people want others to believe.

I looked at prices and 06 430s values are higher than M45s but around the same as the 5.

Originally Posted by rominl
that's why the new internet term:

tl;dr
Well us being mods, we don't have the luxury of the "ignore" button
Old 12-10-09, 10:16 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just keep the 545...
Old 12-10-09, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by scorpio74
while i agree the gs430 is a nice car, i am not sure if i agree with your entire post. to me 545 and gs430 probably have very similar acceleration, i would call it a toss.

but i will never call the gs430 handling superb, even in sport mode. it handles pretty good i will agree, but i won't say superb. first off, gs450h with apsss will blow it away completely already, and imho that's a much closer match up with the 545. and bmw handling is always very good, and 545 is no exception

i also think bmw has noticeably better steering response than lexus. in fact, steering response is something lexus has always lagged imho.

and i doubt your reasons are why there aren't many gs430 in the market. i think there are just not a lot of gs430 to begin with

Well us being mods, we don't have the luxury of the "ignore" button
lol, imagine how much we read every day

Quick Reply: GS300, M45 or LS430