GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Are these conditions normal???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 05:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Rider, if you post here, you should expect all kind of response, good or bad. I agree with the responses here, you are cooking your brakes and your rotor is warped. You need to replace the rotor or re-surface them, may I suggest some high performance rotors and pads.
Old 12-16-09, 07:37 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.... may not be relevant for driving outside tracks, but....a German car magazine tested the breaks of a one dozen cars a few years ago. 3GS was one of them.

The mag truly abused the cars in the test. For example accelerating hard to 115 mph and then breaking hard to a very slow speed and doing this for 10 times in a row without letting the breaks cool down at all in between. The 3GS was the only car which failed the test. They had a break failure and could not complete all the individual tests. The magazine suspected that they had faulty parts and replaced the pads, the rotors etc. A new test showed the same result. Break failure again. Corporate Lexus responded that they have no plans to change the configuration as the test had nothing to do with real life driving.

The 3GS OEM breaks are pretty decent, but they do seem to wear down and heat up quickly if raced hard.
Old 12-16-09, 12:54 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider
Please, leave your intellectual comment to yourself. People here seem to not know how to mind their own business ffs...
I have a 300 and its brakes are tiny in comparison to yours and MINE HAVE NEVER WARPED. I do drive agggressively at times but I also know how to drive...I would never get in a situation to 125mph where I may have to do a panic stop.....you can figure out what that means....

This is a public forum and we can all post...if you ask questions you are getting answers.....IT IS SIMPLE....you are toasting your brakes. Every other post you have goes something like....why is ouur gulf spec car weaker, what can i do to make this car faster, is it normal for the car to hesitate when puching it, brakes are warping, wht does car peel out, why does the car make so much noise when I am flooring it, can i get a new exhaust to make this go faster......on and on....so my first answer stands.....it was not meant to be disrespectful

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Rider, you have had this thing for like a few months and are driving it like some formula one race car (based on your other posts)....Sell it and get an M5 or GTR or something more suitable for extreme driving habits...drive the damn thing like a Lexus
Old 12-16-09, 01:04 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

By the way Rider, in addition to my little GS... I have a sport bike and I'll smoke you in your race car any day without breaking a sweat. Perhaps you should get yourself one of those, too, it might help with hastening your removal from this forum the way it seems you'd use it. :P

I honestly can't tell if you're just trolling, or if you genuinely have no tact.
Old 12-16-09, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

alright everyone, let's get back on topic. if you have anything to say about the brakes, please feel free. any other matters please leave it out

thanks
Old 12-16-09, 01:17 PM
StrannikMD
Rookie

If you want more performance from brakes - upgrade them. GS is "luxury performance", but it's much more "luxury" then "performance". And knowing how people drive in Middle East, I can see why you would have the problem you describe just trying to keep up with the traffic
Old 12-16-09, 01:31 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I would never get in a situation to 125mph where I may have to do a panic stop.....you can figure out what that means....
Where do I say that I made a panic stop?? I said, I just touched to brakes to slow down.. thats y I do not understand why my brakes had a flame-like smell and was making sounds. During the 4 months of owning this car, I probably made only 1 panic stop with my 3GS.
Old 12-16-09, 01:35 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
By the way Rider, in addition to my little GS... I have a sport bike and I'll smoke you in your race car any day without breaking a sweat. Perhaps you should get yourself one of those, too, it might help with hastening your removal from this forum the way it seems you'd use it. :P

I honestly can't tell if you're just trolling, or if you genuinely have no tact.
I hope the meaning of this post is not what I have in mind, coz if it really is, you are really an ***.
Old 12-16-09, 04:56 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

you are really an ***.
THIS is exactly what "you have no tact" means.

Last edited by arnieosp; 12-16-09 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 05:12 PM
chauss
Driver

To the OP:
Sounds like you need slotted/ vented rotors and some ceramic pads.
They are made to withstand more extreme conditions (heat, repeated stops, etc)
Good Luck with getting your brakes where they work as you seem to need them to.
------>
I do agree with most of the other posters on this topic that the GS is not made for this type of driving. It is more of a cross between a luxury car and a sport luxury car. I have slowed down quite a bit coming from an MB CL to the GS...
The CL was a bigger car- but that puppy liked to be driven hard!
Change in my driving style was not really planned- this car just likes to cruise- and that's OK....

Perhaps you should consider an IS-F to better suit your driving style?
Old 12-16-09, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I hope the meaning of this post is not what I have in mind, coz if it really is, you are really an ***.
i said it very clearly in post #20

this thread it closed