GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Harsh Riding 07 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 12:15 AM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am used to the boat rides, but, the Solara will out corner the GS. Not with the run flats but with the bridgestones. I take the same off ramp and the GS starts to slide at 45 and the Solara is still holding. Amazing what a few inches of wheel base will do. I guess I would be very happy with the GS if I could get rid of the rattles. I think that is why I am trying to make it more boat like, something rattles over every bump, and to be honest, I don't think this is how a 40K car should be when you can have cheaper cars that are tight. Don't get me wrong, I love the car in all ways, but the rattles are killing the enjoyment. I am leaving with it from Madison WI on Friday and going to Florida and the wife doesn't let me play the radio very load.
Old 12-17-09, 12:35 AM
dwiall
Driver

Thought I made another post but I guess I did something wrong.

Yes, I am used to the boat like ride, but, the Solara will out corner the GS, not with the run flats but with the Bridgestones. The GS starts to slide when the Solara is still holding, must be the shorter whell base and tires.

The more I think about what is really bothering me about the car, it is the rattles. Something rattles over every bump and I don't think a car in this price range should rattle when, cars half the price are tight. My dealer is very nice (lexus of Madison) even though I did not purchase the car from them. They did all the window TSB's, and infact, said they took it apart twice because when they test drove it they found more rattles. I don't know if I should take it back and offer to pay them to get rid of the dash rattles or what. The most annoying is in the dash up by the vent. I shoved some foam up there but it did not help. The other is right by my ear by the seat belt hight adjuster. The dealer said when it got cold that it would rattle. This makes no sense to me. If they know it will rattle then they know what it is and should be easy to fix. Should I go back and see what they think they can do about it or just live with it?
Old 12-17-09, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

dwiall, there are quite a few cars that will out corner the GS. The GS is built more for high cruising. I have to say, on the highway, the GS can ridfe with the best from Germany in this price range. As far as the Rattles, as long as your dont mind, then who cares. I agree with though, you can push on some panels on the GS and it would make some kind of noise. The interior material on the GS is great but the engineers did not design it to be tight and rattle free.
Old 12-17-09, 09:47 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Op,

Do you have the 17 inch rims or 18 inch rims? I have the Michelin Primacy MXV4 which does not come in our size for the 18 inch rims but a slightly thicker rubber which is unnoticeable. The size I have is 245/4518 instead of the standard 245/40/18 tire size. The ride is so much nice and natural and very connected to the road without any harshness. It also gives more room for the tire to protect the rim from potholes, etc. The pressure I keep is at 32 PSI or its slightly harsh at 35 psi. MPG is great for this car since michelins are known to make tires that give great car MPG. I am getting 25-27 on highways at 75-80 mph with no loss of mph with the lower tire pressure. There is one small thing and that is that the tires will rub a little ONLY when you are reverse and full turn which is very very rare for me to experience any rubbing. My LExus dealership likes these tires and recommend them despite slightly larger profile which is unnoticeable. Also this PRIMACY MXV4 is not the standard MXV4, but a newer version that is ranked NO 1 on tirerack grand touring all season tires. I have placed over 20k miles on it and its still has a lot of thread left and its simple amazing in light and deep snow. Also this tire comes with a 60 thousand miles warranty. Not bad.
Old 12-18-09, 12:03 PM
chauss
Driver

Originally Posted by ivanz
The GS isn't meant to give you a boat like ride...that's what the ES is for. All those cars above purposely have softer suspensions.
Try taking a corner fast in any of the above, and you will see that the GS has way better handling. You can't have a boat like ride and good handling at the same time.
Yes you most certainly can.....just not for 50-60K! 8-)
My MB CL500 handled like it was on rails (for a car that size) and also rode as smooth as an S-Class...it lists for almost 100K though- so it is expected!