GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Harsh Riding 07 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 04:00 AM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh Riding 07 GS 350

have a 2007 AWD GS 350 with 22k miles. When I first got the car the first thing I did was get rid of the Dunlop run flats, they are excellent for handling but suck for ride comfort. I put on a set of Bridgestone seinities and they are much better. My cmplaint is, the car just has a harsh ride. I know it is suppossed to be sporty suspension but this just seems a little to much, its not a corvette but yet it seems they want it to be. I am wondering if anyone has the new 350 or a 460 that has the suspension mode switch, and if so, can you tell the difference. I would like to put Goodyear tripple treads on and go up a size in the sidewall but the dealer said the sensors would always be on and the speedo would be off. They should be able to compensate for this in the computer somewhere. How about if I put ES 350 shocks on it?

Does anyone else think the cars ride is a little harsh, or do I just need to get used to it? The car is also a rattle trap. I took it in to the dealer and they did both front and rear windows and a couple of other things and it still rattles up by the defrost vent and a couple of other places. I have had cars with 250k + on them that ride and don't rattle like this thing. I am ready to go try out the new Buick.

Thanks for listening. The car is just not fun, I am always picking it apart while driving. It is the only body style I like by Lexus right now and can't afford the LS 460 yet.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave
Old 12-16-09, 05:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

dwiall, I agree with you. Love the way the GS looks, inside and out. Hate the harsh ride and the rattles. The ride is way too harsh for its handling capability, the rattles are simply not acceptable in a car at this price range, especially a car that is design to have a quiet ride.
I would not put ES350 shocks on your GS, not sure if they will even fit, but it will make the handling even worst. It might be a better idea to just trade it in for an ES.
Old 12-16-09, 07:22 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Tein CS coilovers or even K1 V3's (for the ISX50)..My friend has a set on his ISF and that thing rides smoother than butter...
Old 12-16-09, 07:59 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

I don't know what you people are talking about. My ride is smooth and plush. And I have an 06 with 0 rattles
Old 12-16-09, 10:44 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

It all depends on your definition of "harsh." My Outlander SUV has a really harsh ride compared to the GS. The GS has a relatively soft suspension and works pretty good most roads IMO. I've been in situations where I could go fast with the GS and was afraid to do half that speed in the Outlander due to fear of causing wheel/suspension damage (strange I know, since the GS wheels and suspension are probably way more sensitive)
You could always do some mods to improve the ride, but that requires money and can have complications/warranty issues, etc. Maybe trade it in and go for an older LS if it really bothers you?
Old 12-16-09, 01:18 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has rattles only on cold days, so yes most of the winter. As far as the ride I dont really remember how the stock ride was because I slammed mine the first week I got it.

All in all the look of this car makes me keep it over the rattles. My IS300 was totally rattle free and cost 1/2 what this car cost.
Old 12-16-09, 01:27 PM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Ride quality feel is very personal; what feels great for some is terrible for others. The only suggestion I can make - rent the car out for a few days before buying it next time, to see if you definitely like the ride.
Old 12-16-09, 03:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to say I was truly amazed at the ride qualty of the car when I first got BUT I came to Lexus from a slammed G35 that had every single component of the suspension replaced with track ready parts. Man even the suspension bushings were replaced. I still feel like the car rides better than my wifes TL and my car is dropped
Attached Thumbnails Harsh Riding 07 GS 350-img_0002.jpg   Harsh Riding 07 GS 350-img_0036.jpg  
Old 12-16-09, 05:21 PM
chauss
Driver

You have one really sharp GS!
I like your style.
Old 12-16-09, 05:23 PM
chauss
Driver

To the OP-
The only harshness I notice in the ride seems to be coming from the tires.
I will be upgrading to Michelins next time around...
Old 12-16-09, 05:30 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To OP-

Im sorry to say that it is your tires that are giving you a harsher ride. The Bridegstones are known to give unforgiving rides. The RE960, Serentities, Turanzas etc. There are not as good as Michelins. I have the Michelin MXV4 18 inch tires on my Lexus GS300 AWD and they are sporty and have an amazing ride comfort. Its no wonder why Michelins cost more but are much better tires.
Old 12-16-09, 10:22 PM
dwiall
Driver

I will have to agree that it is the tires. I wanted to get the MXV4's but they do not come in the right size, I have the stock 17" rims. Unless I can put these on somehow I think I am stuck with the bridgestones for now. I do like how the Goodyear Triple tread work on my 1999 Solara and would try them on the GS but it would cost me $700 to throw the Bridgestones away and $1200 more for the Goodyear's. The wife drives the car 90% of the time and she loves it and the rattles don't seem to bother her. I just can't get comfortable in the car, the ride and rattles drive me nuts. The car also feels very fragile, like I might break something if I get on it too much. I think this is just because the car is so quite and tight that I hear and feel everything. Also, my complaints come from driving on concrete. Concrete does not get rounded like blacktop and you always feel that hard hit on the concrete.
Old 12-16-09, 10:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked your tire pressure???
Old 12-16-09, 10:47 PM
dwiall
Driver

I check the tire pressure all the time. I have them at 35 psi. I ran them down to 32 for a while too see if it would soften up but lost ~2mpg.

I just checked Tire rack and they do make the MXV4 in the size I need. They also have the Bridgestones rated very high and the MXV4's not so high. I know all cars are going to be different with the same tire and I really don't think Tire Rack's rating is unbiased.

For all of you that have owned a few Lexus's. do you feel the quality has deteirorated over the years. This is my first luxury car and things seem a little cheaper then other cars I have owned, example: Olds Aurora, lincoln MK 8, Toyota Solara.
Old 12-16-09, 11:18 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

The GS isn't meant to give you a boat like ride...that's what the ES is for. All those cars above purposely have softer suspensions.
Try taking a corner fast in any of the above, and you will see that the GS has way better handling. You can't have a boat like ride and good handling at the same time.

Quick Reply: Harsh Riding 07 GS 350