GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

V-LED DRL brightness during daytime?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 10:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered a hundred times... but is replacing the DRL/Parking bulb a simple reach in from the hood procedure? I can't imagine it being much of a job but...
Not quite as simple as that but not too hard. You will need to remove the plastic cover on top. Find the extention for the bulb holder and just turn and pull. Whatever you do, dont drop the bulb in the light housing One of the sticky up top have step to step direction with pictures.
Old 12-18-09, 10:53 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Not quite as simple as that but not too hard. You will need to remove the plastic cover on top. Find the extention for the bulb holder and just turn and pull. Whatever you do, dont drop the bulb in the light housing One of the sticky up top have step to step direction with pictures.
I recall seeing that but thought it was for the lowbeams.

The bulb holder pulls out both the DRL and the parking light bulb, or are there two rods?
Old 12-18-09, 10:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The DRL is the high beam and there is no rod, just the socket.
Old 12-18-09, 11:02 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
The DRL is the high beam and there is no rod, just the socket.
Pretty sure I remember seeing in the sticky a long "rod" at which the bulb attached to the end... maybe I'm just going crazy.

Found it:

Old 12-18-09, 11:19 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure I remember seeing in the sticky a long "rod" at which the bulb attached to the end... maybe I'm just going crazy.

Found it:

I'm just jumping in the middle here, but that's for the parking light, not the DRL.
Old 12-18-09, 11:32 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

i'm assuming the ones in Chancellor's pics are the 68 SMT DRL LEDs, right? For those who have it, does it look like disco ball in person? Or was that just an effect of the pics?

And to the OP, since you've been considering the 2x brighter DRL LEDs, i have a question for you (and anyone who's using the 2x brigher ones). It says in the description we'll need to use DRL module and HID relay harness. Does anyone know how many of each do we need? i'm guessing 2 of each? anyone know for sure?
Old 12-18-09, 11:39 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raptor22
i'm assuming the ones in Chancellor's pics are the 68 SMT DRL LEDs, right? For those who have it, does it look like disco ball in person? Or was that just an effect of the pics?

And to the OP, since you've been considering the 2x brighter DRL LEDs, i have a question for you (and anyone who's using the 2x brigher ones). It says in the description we'll need to use DRL module and HID relay harness. Does anyone know how many of each do we need? i'm guessing 2 of each? anyone know for sure?
I don't think you need the relay thing at all... considering the "kit" they sell for lexus includes only the modules. Maybe I misunderstood... your best bet is to send an email to v-leds and ask, and let us know.
Old 12-18-09, 12:19 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Only the modules and bulbs needed and I am using the 2x brighter led smt. They work like a charm
Old 12-18-09, 04:03 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRGS300
Only the modules and bulbs needed and I am using the 2x brighter led smt. They work like a charm
V-Leds site says "Do not use this bulb directly with our DRL module it may cause issues with some Lexus vehicles. Use one 9005_DRL_MODULE and one HID_RELAY_HARNESS"
Old 12-18-09, 04:28 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

this is what i used. the 2x smt bright leds and the 9005 module. im not going to lie but when i installed them it blew out my fuse which i then replaced with a higher one and to this day, that was 2 months ago, no problems
Old 12-18-09, 05:13 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

this is what i used. the 2x smt bright leds and the 9005 module. im not going to lie but when i installed them it blew out my fuse which i then replaced with a higher one and to this day, that was 2 months ago, no problems
Now that's a piece of information that was missing.

Kind of makes you wonder, though.
Old 12-18-09, 08:25 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

I don't think you need the relay thing at all... considering the "kit" they sell for lexus includes only the modules. Maybe I misunderstood... your best bet is to send an email to v-leds and ask, and let us know.
yeah the 'kit' they sell is the 68 SMT LED and comes with everything you need, i.e. the bulbs and 2x DRL modules, no relay needed.

However, i asked v-leds twice about the 2x brighter LEDs, because of what mysteryan quoted from their website, but for some reasons they don't seem to understand my question as they really didn't answer my question. The first time i asked, they said only one module is needed, but they didn't say whether it's the relay or the DRL module. i don't feel like asking a third time

Based on what the DRL module does (i.e. allow the LED bulbs to run at full power at all time), it would seem we would need a pair even for the 2x brighter leds? Is that right SRGS300? But apparently the 2x brighter ones require the relay harness to be safe, but not sure how many

Last edited by raptor22; 12-18-09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 09:20 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had any1 tried this ??? I'm curious how it look, how bright it is, and if it can survive the heat from the high beam.
Old 12-19-09, 07:18 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

like i have said i have the 2x brighter leds with 2 modules and have had no problems. you do not need the relay kit.
Old 12-19-09, 08:09 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

like i have said i have the 2x brighter leds with 2 modules and have had no problems. you do not need the relay kit.
What fuse did you blow, and what rating did you replace it with?

Quick Reply: V-LED DRL brightness during daytime?