GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

MT: GS beats M35 S, RL....finishes behind everyone else

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 10:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
You are right rominl, it is an option. I dont think I have ever seen a GS350 with that option though, it must be a Lexus regional thing.
Old 12-18-09, 11:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
You are right rominl, it is an option. I dont think I have ever seen a GS350 with that option though, it must be a Lexus regional thing.
nah, it's just extremely rare. so far i have only seen ONE gs350 with avs and that's more like a super special order
Old 12-18-09, 01:27 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah where's the Genesis in this one
Old 12-18-09, 02:53 PM
LexFather

I agree that for 60k, you can easily get a 450h or 460. Still the GS has nothing to be ashamed of here, it did really well, even the slalom it performed well. It just isn't communicative which is something most agree with.

For OWNERS, the GS here is a great deal. It is lightest, the fastest auto, arguably the most luxurious, the most reliable, has some great features, was the cheapest here and IMO one of the better looking vehicles.

A SHAME they took 3 YEARS to FINALLY test the GS 350
. sigh.......
Old 12-18-09, 06:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

disappointing that my Lexus always get ranked very poorly when compared to its competition.
Old 12-18-09, 07:40 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be the only one, but I actually feel better about the car after reading that review. They hit on all of the major selling points for me as to why I bought the car in the first place: great over-all quality, great value for money, and a really comfortable car. Honestly, what more could you ask for? Call me biased but the idea of having to row gears in a BMW during rush hour on a Friday night does not sound like my idea of a good time.
Old 12-18-09, 09:06 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Very interesting......Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-18-09, 10:30 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Xwakeboard
I may be the only one, but I actually feel better about the car after reading that review. They hit on all of the major selling points for me as to why I bought the car in the first place: great over-all quality, great value for money, and a really comfortable car. Honestly, what more could you ask for? Call me biased but the idea of having to row gears in a BMW during rush hour on a Friday night does not sound like my idea of a good time.
^^^ +1. Saved me typing )
Old 12-19-09, 05:11 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
I think their assessment is pretty accurate. I didn't buy it to carve backroads, I bought it to transport me around town or on long trips in great comfort, safety, and quiet. The fact that it's not a total pig in the twisties is a bonus.

I thought these two phrases are spot on:
Exactly. I've been reading all of the major mags for over 40 years. They rate the cars based upon how well they handle - almost without fail, regardless of what the vehicle is or what it's intended purpose is.

I live in Houston and for me the car is to drive around town and an occassional trip to Dallas or Louisiana. Not that we have many, but I didn't buy it to take out and terrorize the back roads (I have other vehicles for that).
Old 12-19-09, 09:13 PM
wesleyan92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
The GS350 doesnt have the AVS option, but it rides pretty stiff as it is, it rides like a GS460 with AVS when on sport.
I think the GS450h would have done better here but its not within the price range. By the way, where can I buy a BMW 535 for under $55000, I sure would like to know. The last time I look, they were all over $60000, some as high as $70000. Maybe they found one with vinyl seats and halogen headlights
G Man: I have a 2010 535 - my MSRP was 56K and I paid well below that (courtesy of the holiday credits and negotiations based on invoice pricing). Granted, my 56K car did not come with Navi or Keyless entry but I have the sports package, sports seat, leather, sports auto transmission, iPod and a few bells and whistles. The xenons are standard on the 535 as opposed to my 528 where BMW charges extra
Old 12-19-09, 09:59 PM
Clark245
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Exactly. I've been reading all of the major mags for over 40 years. They rate the cars based upon how well they handle - almost without fail, regardless of what the vehicle is or what it's intended purpose is.

I live in Houston and for me the car is to drive around town and an occassional trip to Dallas or Louisiana. Not that we have many, but I didn't buy it to take out and terrorize the back roads (I have other vehicles for that).

I totally agree.... I've come to understand that the opinions in these publications are all based on drivers who are more interested in european style handling over luxury. I didn't purchase my GS to swerve through cones. I wanted the "rolling living room" an "extra aggressive grand tourer" for everyday driving that provides me with the option to "lash out" on the road if and when I feel like it. On that note my GS has never left me disappointed...... especially when I need to teach a lesson to a driver on the highway!
Old 12-20-09, 06:08 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wesleyan92
G Man: I have a 2010 535 - my MSRP was 56K and I paid well below that (courtesy of the holiday credits and negotiations based on invoice pricing). Granted, my 56K car did not come with Navi or Keyless entry but I have the sports package, sports seat, leather, sports auto transmission, iPod and a few bells and whistles. The xenons are standard on the 535 as opposed to my 528 where BMW charges extra
Let's compare a GS350 and 535i similarly equipped if we are going to talk price.
Old 12-20-09, 06:48 AM
wesleyan92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Let's compare a GS350 and 535i similarly equipped if we are going to talk price.

The only reason I quoted the price was in response to G Man's question if a 535 can be had for less than $55K. How am I doing a comparison?
Old 12-20-09, 10:29 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I still think its interesting that the only cars the GS can beat in a comparison is the dated M35 and the horribly pathetic RL ( the least competitive car in its class. In fact its almost as if the car was designed with no competition in mind)

many comments to this thread seem like we are blowing smoke up the *** of our Lexus. Lexus just cant win a competition outside a consumer reports reliability ranking....and even there they have been slipping recently. We should and can all expect more from our Lexus. Look at BMW, the cars just seem to do it all very well in all tests in every magazine ( minus consumer reports )

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-20-09 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-20-09, 05:18 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still think its interesting that the only cars the GS can beat in a comparison is the dated M35 and the horribly pathetic RL ( the least competitive car in its class. In fact its almost as if the car was designed with no competition in mind)

many comments to this thread seem like we are blowing smoke up the *** of our Lexus. Lexus just cant win a competition outside a consumer reports reliability ranking....and even there they have been slipping recently. We should and can all expect more from our Lexus. Look at BMW, the cars just seem to do it all very well in all tests in every magazine ( minus consumer reports )
I disagree. GS is unique and quite rare in comparison. Not to mention on many points according to the same review it is a clear winner for me. If I read this report without owning the car, I would have chosen GS. Swear!
535 is just blah to me look-wise... one of too many...

Last edited by vladbph; 12-20-09 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: MT: GS beats M35 S, RL....finishes behind everyone else