GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help me decide GS350 AWD or Audi A5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 05:05 AM
LexFather

S5 is one of those good looking cars that do it for me. Its also much much rarer than a 3 series coupe seemingly everyone has. I gripe to me about the S5 is the sunroof while huge does not open. The V-8 pulls strong but it isn't much quicker than a 350.

The S5 has a pretty large trunk too. If you need to extra room and quality is a major concern the GS is the no brainer. For me, the heart says S5.

Good luck
Old 12-28-09, 08:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kuruption213
Hi,
I am a long time visitor of this site but haven't been on much in the past few years. Well I am amping up now as I am researching a new car. I am currently an owner of a GS 400 but am thinking of getting either a GS350AWD or an Audi A5. I know the cars are vastly different but as GS owners what do you think of your cars, has it been reliable (heard that the 3rd Gen had some issues, my 2nd gen has been great for the most part).

Thanks in advance.
I had a GS350 and now own an Audi, my GS spend more time in the shop than my Audi. It just goes to show you, it’s no guarantee reliability just because you buy a certain brand.
The following users liked this post:
kolyan (01-30-23)
Old 12-29-09, 07:34 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
On Audi forumd I keep reading about vibration problems from the A/S5 and the manufacturer giving customers a hard time despite numerous trips to fix it. Doesn't sound like they are better to me.
I do really like the A5/S5 and the emotional part of me is leaning towards that car, however I've read the same thing about the vibration issues on a Audi A5/S5 site. Also I saw that it was rated worst in reliability amongst cars in its group. So it looks like I'll be leaning towards what has treated me well in the past the GS. I've still got a couple of months before I'll choose but its seems like my decision now will be 07/08 GS350 AWD vs 07/08 GS450H.

Thanks as always for the great insight.
Old 12-30-09, 07:18 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I just bought (leased actually) a 2010 GS 350. The A5 was high on my list - maybe the best looking car on the road today short of an Aston Martin. I did drive a couple and like them.

But in the end, a couple of things conspired against the A5. One is that they have botched the engine lineup in the A5. I drove the turbo-4 and was not impressed - and that is the model they are stocking up on now. They still make the 3.2 V6 version, but they are very limited in availability, and in my opinion it was not a good value equiped the way I wanted it. I would lust after the S5, but too much money and hard to find (and no deals on them).

Also, the A5 does not offer a couple of features I really wanted, like ventilated seats and a true surround sound stereo. The B&O stereo in the A5 would have probably kept me happy, but the other issues I was not willing to deal with in the end (along with the fact that Lexus has better lease deals in December).
Old 12-30-09, 08:27 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the price point, wouldn't you bee looking at the S5?

S5 for sure if you don't need rear doors.
Old 12-30-09, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
For the price point, wouldn't you bee looking at the S5?

S5 for sure if you don't need rear doors.
s5 is quite a bit more expensive than gs350
Old 12-30-09, 01:08 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
s5 is quite a bit more expensive than gs350
Correct. Comparably equiped, about $10,000 difference, and even more to buy because they don't deal on them.
Old 12-30-09, 02:32 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kuruption213
I do really like the A5/S5 and the emotional part of me is leaning towards that car, however I've read the same thing about the vibration issues on a Audi A5/S5 site. Also I saw that it was rated worst in reliability amongst cars in its group. So it looks like I'll be leaning towards what has treated me well in the past the GS. I've still got a couple of months before I'll choose but its seems like my decision now will be 07/08 GS350 AWD vs 07/08 GS450H.

Thanks as always for the great insight.
Hello, when I was looking for a new car 1 year ago, I also looked to BMW, Audi, and Mercedes.

For me, Audi was the last choice of them all - the styling is good. I'll give them that, but maintenance is overly expensive and the cars develop a lot of little problems that add up $$$.

I would personally go with the GS350 because the styling is classy but understated. The more I stare at the car, the more beautiful it gets to me haha....

AWD is always a great choice, plus the GS350s use timing chains instead of belts now, so that's one maintenance item that you can check off.

Whatever car you get, as long as you're good about keeping it clean, polished, and waxed, it's all good.
Old 12-31-09, 07:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dadoody
For me, Audi was the last choice of them all - the styling is good. I'll give them that, but maintenance is overly expensive and the cars develop a lot of little problems that add up $$$.
The last time I check, Audi's maintenance hourly rate is the same as BMW and MB and Lexus. MB is actually the most problematic of the 4. If you consider routine maintenance, Lexus is by far the most expensive. The 5000 miles oil change and the routine maintenace addes up quick. The parts for Lexus are also way up there as well. The only good thing about Lexus is that after the warranty runs out, generally there is less maintenance, but thats no guarantee.
A good general rule is that if you keep your new car for 4 or 5 years, buy European, if you drive your car to the ground, buy Japanese.
Old 12-31-09, 01:13 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
The last time I check, Audi's maintenance hourly rate is the same as BMW and MB and Lexus. MB is actually the most problematic of the 4. If you consider routine maintenance, Lexus is by far the most expensive. The 5000 miles oil change and the routine maintenace addes up quick. The parts for Lexus are also way up there as well. The only good thing about Lexus is that after the warranty runs out, generally there is less maintenance, but thats no guarantee.
A good general rule is that if you keep your new car for 4 or 5 years, buy European, if you drive your car to the ground, buy Japanese.
Really? I haven't experienced these rates for the most part. Maybe because I avoid the Lexus dealership for minor work - their technicians haven't proven to be that much more competent to me than the guys @ my local oilstop when it comes to changing oil. Warranty work and stuff I want guaranteed goes to dealershop.

Everything else is DIY or goes to my friend's shop. I just keep all service records.

I mean, these things are basically Toyotas. If I need an oil change, I use my preferred synthetic oil. If I want to use a Toyota oil filter, I can pick one up @ Toyota for 3.99 as opposed to going to a Lexus dealership and getting it for 10 bucks or whatever ridiculous mark up they want.

Only a shmucks or old people who don't know any better go to the dealership for minor things like this. Maybe I've had enough bad experiences with dealership shops that I'm pretty negative about them doing work on my car, unless it's on their dime.

Last edited by dadoody; 12-31-09 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-31-09, 03:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i will also say i don't find lexus maintenance to be much cheaper, especially the first few years. after warranty i cant' say much. but looking at the first 4/5 yrs of ownership, bmw is free, mb and audi they offer one time maintenance plan and that's around 700 to 1000 bucks. i haven't really seen any for lexus and from my experience the first 5 yrs i will likely pay more than 1000

but again, after 5 yrs, that's another question. coz' german cars, they start to have more "weird" problems
Old 12-31-09, 09:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the Audi wil be more fun but the lex more reliable. Do you need the 4 doors?? Do want a fun car???? Or a reliable car???
Old 01-01-10, 07:08 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexzam
Audis, in particular the FWDs, are generally not famous for great handling. Good maybe, but not great. There are some exceptions (R8, S4 etc) though. GS should hold pretty well against A6. A5 is a bit smaller, so it could be a bit more nimble.
I have to strongly disagree on that. A Quatro A6 handles WAY WAY better than GS. Don't take my word for it; read any automotive magazine. And A6 with 3.0T is more powerful than GS350 in normal daily driving. Only the V8 or hybrid GS are more powerful than 3.0T.

I came very close to replacing my GS450h with A6 3.0T a month ago. In the end, the hybrid HOV exemption, ventilated seats, keyless entry / start, and the get-out-of-the-way steering wheel in the GS swayed me over back to GS. But it was a VERY close competition.

Like you mentioned, A5 is not A6, it is closer to A4 than to A6. I sat in A5 and was not as comfortable as in the A6 so I decided to not even drive it. I don't consider A5 to be a comparable vehicle to GS350; not by a mile.
Old 01-04-10, 07:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Modeler
I have to strongly disagree on that. A Quatro A6 handles WAY WAY better than GS. Don't take my word for it; read any automotive magazine. And A6 with 3.0T is more powerful than GS350 in normal daily driving. Only the V8 or hybrid GS are more powerful than 3.0T.

Like you mentioned, A5 is not A6, it is closer to A4 than to A6. I sat in A5 and was not as comfortable as in the A6 so I decided to not even drive it. I don't consider A5 to be a comparable vehicle to GS350; not by a mile.
I have to agree with your comparison. Having owned both the GS350 and the A6, the A6 handles much better in stock form and rides smoother. Although the A5 does not have the same quality as the A6, it does handle better, but much like you, I dont like the low sitting position and the over all quality.
Old 01-04-10, 08:21 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I have to agree with your comparison. Having owned both the GS350 and the A6, the A6 handles much better in stock form and rides smoother. Although the A5 does not have the same quality as the A6, it does handle better, but much like you, I dont like the low sitting position and the over all quality.
A6 Quattro does not handle anywhere near as well as my GS. Just goes to show it depends what options and tires you have. You can add Quattro to compensate for the crappy front wheel drive, but even with Quattro, a car with passive suspension and a poor weight distribution can't hold a candle to a well balanced rear wheel drive sedan with power stabilizer and sports tires.

I am convinced the reason most magazine reviews rate GS badly is because they test models without APSS and without high performance tires. You can't drive a car on touring tires against one on Pilot Sports and claim the one on the touring tires handles badly. That's just testing the tires.

Quick Reply: Help me decide GS350 AWD or Audi A5?