GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help me decide GS350 AWD or Audi A5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 12:47 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
A6 Quattro does not handle anywhere near as well as my GS. Just goes to show it depends what options and tires you have. You can add Quattro to compensate for the crappy front wheel drive, but even with Quattro, a car with passive suspension and a poor weight distribution can't hold a candle to a well balanced rear wheel drive sedan with power stabilizer and sports tires.

I am convinced the reason most magazine reviews rate GS badly is because they test models without APSS and without high performance tires. You can't drive a car on touring tires against one on Pilot Sports and claim the one on the touring tires handles badly. That's just testing the tires.
Its basically impossible to find a GS350 equiped the way you suggest (at least anywhere in Texas). Every dealer has them equiped with one of two option groups. There is zero variance from those equipment levels in all of Texas.

I was told that it might be possible to get one equiped exactly as you want if you are willing to wait a few months. Note that I said "possible".
Old 01-04-10, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Its basically impossible to find a GS350 equiped the way you suggest (at least anywhere in Texas). Every dealer has them equiped with one of two option groups. There is zero variance from those equipment levels in all of Texas.

I was told that it might be possible to get one equiped exactly as you want if you are willing to wait a few months. Note that I said "possible".
i don't think apsss is available on gs350 at all
Old 01-04-10, 01:04 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

A6 Quattro does not handle anywhere near as well as my GS. Just goes to show it depends what options and tires you have. You can add Quattro to compensate for the crappy front wheel drive, but even with Quattro, a car with passive suspension and a poor weight distribution can't hold a candle to a well balanced rear wheel drive sedan with power stabilizer and sports tires.

I am convinced the reason most magazine reviews rate GS badly is because they test models without APSS and without high performance tires. You can't drive a car on touring tires against one on Pilot Sports and claim the one on the touring tires handles badly. That's just testing the tires.
Your argument would be valid if all GS comes with the APSS which I think it should. Being that only maybe less than 10% of them have the APSS option, the statement of A6 generally handles better than the GS holds true. The GS is not any more balance than the A6, it sure as heck is not 50/50 like most BMWs. The A6 actually show that a car can handle well without being perfectly balance. I believe the handling capability of the Quattro system have been proven over and over again already. A high performance RWD BMW can handle as well as a Quattro, but we all know that the GS does not handle as well as the BMW. If you want to add sport tires and suspension, then you should really compare your GS460 to the Audi S6, we all know how those 2 cars will compare.
Old 01-04-10, 04:24 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Your argument would be valid if all GS comes with the APSS which I think it should. Being that only maybe less than 10% of them have the APSS option, the statement of A6 generally handles better than the GS holds true. The GS is not any more balance than the A6, it sure as heck is not 50/50 like most BMWs. The A6 actually show that a car can handle well without being perfectly balance. I believe the handling capability of the Quattro system have been proven over and over again already. A high performance RWD BMW can handle as well as a Quattro, but we all know that the GS does not handle as well as the BMW. If you want to add sport tires and suspension, then you should really compare your GS460 to the Audi S6, we all know how those 2 cars will compare.
Not true. Even when I switch off the APSS it handles better than a Quattro. You guys continue to ignore my point about tires. The stock touring tires, vs. Michelin PilotSport PS2 makes a black and white difference. It is a different car on performance tires.
Old 01-05-10, 06:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Not true. Even when I switch off the APSS it handles better than a Quattro. You guys continue to ignore my point about tires. The stock touring tires, vs. Michelin PilotSport PS2 makes a black and white difference. It is a different car on performance tires.
Sure, tires do make a difference. I had all seaon tires on both my GS350 and the A6 and the A6 handles better.