GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help me decide GS350 AWD or Audi A5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 09:08 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide GS350 AWD or Audi A5?

Hi,
I am a long time visitor of this site but haven't been on much in the past few years. Well I am amping up now as I am researching a new car. I am currently an owner of a GS 400 but am thinking of getting either a GS350AWD or an Audi A5. I know the cars are vastly different but as GS owners what do you think of your cars, has it been reliable (heard that the 3rd Gen had some issues, my 2nd gen has been great for the most part).

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-09, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

one is sedan, one is coupe though. how much do you need the rear doors?

styling wise, a5 wins hands down. but that's not a car i'd want to keep for long. i think 3gs awd have been pretty ok, there were some talk about the drivetrain but personally i haven't seen anything major
Old 12-24-09, 01:13 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

i wanted a sedan since most cars i owned before were coupes and hated pulling chairs for passengers. so far ok, but i have minor issues like many others here, dashboard rattle which gets annoying, and dusty, sqealing brakes which come and go. the drivetrain only if you want to lower AWD model..
Old 12-24-09, 03:38 AM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are in two different catergories but they are both great cars. its honestly up to you whether or not you want a coupe or a sedan. the coupe styling of the a5 is gorgeous and every time I see one I turn my head. 350 is more practical imo and a great sedan but like said above, the a5 wins styling hands down. Whichever way you go, im sure you'll be pleased with the outcome.
Old 12-24-09, 04:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The four doors are the only thing I dislike about my GS cars.
If it weren't for the Audi reliability history, I'd say A5 hands down....it sure looks sweet.
Old 12-24-09, 05:30 AM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
The four doors are the only thing I dislike about my GS cars.
If it weren't for the Audi reliability history, I'd say A5 hands down....it sure looks sweet.
audi does have a horrible reliability history, but they have vastly improved since those dark times. I wouldn't say they are as reliable as lexus, but they are def. not as bad as they used to be.
Old 12-24-09, 06:53 AM
kuruption213
Pole Position

Thanks for the thoughts. As all of you have said they are in completely different categories and I know the coupe is really impractical but I'm single and usually only have one other person in the car (if any one). I also love the car its been out for a while but I find myself noticing it every time I see it.

But on the other end the GS is a known entity for me and I love my 2nd Gen. Also Audi's reliability rankings are a concern they seem to have been better in recent years though.

Anyways thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you updated.
Old 12-24-09, 07:31 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Audi offers a great product now! I came from an 06 S4 to the Lexus brand and I had NO troubles with my Audi. I was only in the shop for my "FREE" services. Nothing is for "FREE" I always loved that

With what you have posted I would say go with the Audi. To me its more of a "fun" car to drive and since you dont need the 4 doors its the direction I would go. The 3gen GS, to me, is not the same as the 2gen. My biggest complaint with both of my Lexus is the rattles. Both being newer gen makes this isnt what I knew and recalled from Lexus. Outside of this I have had NO problems with my car. A few recalls but that can happen with any brand.

All in all Audi makes a great product. I had the same fear when I got the S4 as you may have. I was talked into it and to be honest I wish I had never left. Fit and Finish was perfect. No rattles or issues with anything. The car never had one issue and I had my fun with the car

Another possibility is the IS350 or ISF depending on your budget. If you dont need as large of a car but want the convenience of having 4 doors. I had the IS350 prior to the GS and the "fun" factor is by far with that car. The GS is more practical for the family though.

Good luck in your search
Old 12-24-09, 07:57 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kuruption213
Thanks for the thoughts. As all of you have said they are in completely different categories and I know the coupe is really impractical but I'm single and usually only have one other person in the car (if any one). I also love the car its been out for a while but I find myself noticing it every time I see it.

But on the other end the GS is a known entity for me and I love my 2nd Gen. Also Audi's reliability rankings are a concern they seem to have been better in recent years though.

Anyways thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you updated.
I don't know about Washington, but in Toronto there are vastly more numbers of A5s on the road than there are GS. Actually, it applies pretty much to Audi and Lexus in general - this town really has a thing for the perceived prestige of European badges. Whenever I see a Lexus around here, it's 90% of the time either an IS250 or an RX350. I rarely see another car like mine on the road, so even though it's a few years old now it still gets people looking at it, which always feels nice.

Also, I used to think that I didn't need 4 doors (and real back seats) but honestly life is so much simpler with them. You may be single now, but trust me that can all change in a flash and you might be shopping for a replacement family car before you thought it could ever happen. If the GS looked exactly the same but had foldering rear seats and opened like a hatch, that would have been the ultimate for me, but oh well...

I was looking at an Avant before buying the lexus but ultimately my research scared me away from taking the chance. I keep my cars a long time, and I've been driving Toyota for a long time and I'm very familiar with what to expect as far as the aging process goes so ultimately I went for the comfortable path. It really gets under my skin whenever things go wrong despite being on a regular service schedule, but if you have a higher tolerance for surprises and keep some extra cash in the bank account to cover them then the audi could be the car for you.
Old 12-24-09, 09:23 AM
anaq110
Driver

I was very close to purchasing an Audi A8 (Even left a deposit for one) but almost every A8 I test drove I found one thing or another wrong. After reading a lot of reviews I was surprised to find the engine\electrical issues that come up with Audis. The GS350\430 has issues with dash rattles but I would rather have dash rattles then engine problems. Good luck on your search.
Old 12-24-09, 12:33 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Powerwise, the A5 is no match for the 350. Thats all I know bout the difference :P
Old 12-24-09, 04:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalan
audi does have a horrible reliability history, but they have vastly improved since those dark times. I wouldn't say they are as reliable as lexus, but they are def. not as bad as they used to be.
On Audi forumd I keep reading about vibration problems from the A/S5 and the manufacturer giving customers a hard time despite numerous trips to fix it. Doesn't sound like they are better to me.
Old 12-24-09, 09:28 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked at the A5 with the possible intent to purchase, however found the dealer was unwilling to (in my opinion) reasonably deal on the price. I subsequently ordered a BMW 3 Coupe. Quite possibly the lack of Audi dealers in my area vs. the number of BMW dealers played a significant role.
Old 12-25-09, 06:02 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I am selling our GS, so I am a bit biased in favor of the Lexus... My neighbors just bought an Audi (different model - Q5), and the fit and finish are great. That said, I'm still sticking with Lexus for reliability.

Last edited by caha14; 12-25-09 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 05:02 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Audis, in particular the FWDs, are generally not famous for great handling. Good maybe, but not great. There are some exceptions (R8, S4 etc) though. GS should hold pretty well against A6. A5 is a bit smaller, so it could be a bit more nimble.

Quick Reply: Help me decide GS350 AWD or Audi A5?