GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Homelink with condo garage doors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 09:02 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Homelink with condo garage doors?

Another thread reminded me of this, it's something I attempted to set up a long while ago and gave up because I could never get it to work.

The instructions in the manual were confusing at best, but following them to the best of my understanding I could never seem to get it to learn my RF remote to open my condo garage doors. The light just seems to flash forever, and it never resulted in any opening action (which would be fantastic because I hate having to find the remote in my pocket).

Has anybody gotten it to learn anything other than standard home garage openers?
Old 01-10-10, 09:07 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

by looking at the remote, can you tell if it is code hopping tecnology?
Old 01-10-10, 09:15 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine programmed for my condo gate, my parents gated community, and their garage door. The car has to be in park i think. It took me a few times to get the first one, but then they were easy after that, i forgot how i did it tho.
Old 01-10-10, 09:28 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
by looking at the remote, can you tell if it is code hopping tecnology?
It just says "DKS" on it, has three buttons (only one of which I use), says MADE IN USA on the back and otherwise is unmarked. I would be surprised if it had a rolling code since the garage door is opened by probably a hundred other remotes that other owners hold.

Not really sure what I should be doing but I recall holding down the homelink button until the light flashes and continue holding the button down on the mirror, then holding down the "open" button on my remote simultaneous... but the light on the mirror just keeps flashing and it never seems to register anything that I can tell. Am I comprehending the instructions wrong, should I not be holding down the homelink button after it starts flashing or something?

When I hold down the button on the garage remote, the light on it flickers rapidly.

I went to the homelink web site and saw this, which I'm pretty sure is nowhere to be found in my manual...

"1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)"

Maybe I'll try doing this first...

Last edited by BinaryJay; 01-10-10 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 09:46 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok, i think all you do is press and hold down the button you want to use on the mirror until it changes from a solid to a slow blinking.....when the slow blink starts, that is when you also start to press the rmeote button and you keep them both pressed until the mirror's flashing light goes faster, then it is done
Old 01-11-10, 11:30 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had trouble at first as well...but you have to be careful and follow instructions to the tee even if it would appear that it would not have a negative impact on setting up the remote.

It wasn't as hard as trying to eliminate the seatbealt buzzer alarm for the first time..
Old 01-11-10, 11:34 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have to find out if your garage opener has the rolling code tech, see if it has the "learn" button on the actual unit
Old 01-11-10, 11:52 AM
dentalstud
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the answer

1) you need to have your garage remote to program (even if you have a rolling code)
2) make sure the button you are trying to program has no previous memory (you can clear the memory if you are unsure)
3) hold the homelink and garage remote button at the same time (if it blinks rapidly after a few seconds then it means you have the rolling code)
4) push the learn button on your garage door opener (not the remote but where the actual motor is located)
5) press twice the homelink button that you programmed earlier with the remote (the one that was rapidly blinking)
Old 01-11-10, 11:55 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I'm hoping my problem was not clearing out a previously set code, as I don't recall reading that had to be done when I was originally trying it. I haven't been in my car yet so I have yet to try it again but maybe I'll do that this afternoon.
Old 01-11-10, 12:01 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We live in a condo and have our GS programmed for the main gate as well as garage. I tried to follow the owners manual and had nothing but grief. Solution was to go to the homelink web site, their instructions are dead on and work every time.
Old 01-14-10, 01:06 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

It looks like I'm screwed as long as I'm living here.

http://www.doorking.com/pages/dks-acc-rf-con.php

It appears that we have DoorKing openers, which use some complex proprietary code technology that HomeLink doesn't support. I found this after trying again, after resetting my homelink, and still didn't have any luck.

I just hope I didn't click the remote button so many times trying to program it that I'll get locked out.

From another IS forum:

"I talked to the makers of this gate security system, it is specially made to let only the garage remotes open it, and specifically programmed to NOT let homelink systems copy the code, or any other form of copying."
Old 01-14-10, 02:30 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
It looks like I'm screwed as long as I'm living here.

http://www.doorking.com/pages/dks-acc-rf-con.php

It appears that we have DoorKing openers, which use some complex proprietary code technology that HomeLink doesn't support. I found this after trying again, after resetting my homelink, and still didn't have any luck.

I just hope I didn't click the remote button so many times trying to program it that I'll get locked out.

From another IS forum:

"I talked to the makers of this gate security system, it is specially made to let only the garage remotes open it, and specifically programmed to NOT let homelink systems copy the code, or any other form of copying."
I wonder if some gated community does that. I can't program my sis's HomeLink to her gate...
Old 01-14-10, 02:47 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My building used to have this issue. It's intended to stop a thief from capturing the signal and gaining carte Blanche access to the garage.

My building solved the inconvenience issue by adding a proximity sensor. Basically they give you a small sticker with an RFID on it to put on your windshield. The sensor senses the sticker and opens. It's great you just drive up but don't need to press anything. You should lobby the homeowners committee for that.
Old 01-16-10, 03:04 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I don't think DoorKing makes transmitters. 95% of motorized security gates in an HOA complex along the west coast, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Nevada use either a Multi-Code or Linear transmitters (genie is used most often for private residences). If DoorKing has their name on a transmitter (or a remote), most likely Multi-Code supplied them with the device and I doubt the transmitter is proprietary (I know of what I type). You might need an electronic remote transmitter to program your HomeLink.