GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS 300 - Voice Command System Post Original v4.2 DVD Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 02:10 AM
DoosaiWolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS 300 - Voice Command System Post Original v4.2 DVD Questions

Hi everyone, here goes my first post/thread on Club Lexus, I am not much of a poster unless I have something to contribute or a question to ask. I hope someone out there can help.

I have researched the Voice Command System extensively looking for any information I could find about improvements made to the software post the original v4.2 DVD. Unfortunately I am unable to find very much data at all other than things such as, "it has been improved" or "a few new commands have been added".

What I am most interested in is a feature I have seen on newer model years with the Gen 5 system where you can input an address or dial a phone number with the voice command. I am not sure how well it works but it peaked my interest. You can see a demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaFVk-Oz14w Somehow I would hope they would update the software to include this capability on the Gen 4 systems but so far I haven't been able to confirm this one way or another.

Aside from searching the internet to find more information I have used hex editors to pull out a list of the commands and screen prompts to see what exists in the loading.kwi firmware. Unfortunately the only firmwares I have had access to are the Gen 4 v4.2, Gen 4 v6.1, and various Gen 4 Fujitsu-Ten Eclipse Navigation versions up to the current version (suprisingly the voice command exists on the Eclipse models even though it is not a named feature of the product, I also found code and prompts for climate control features on this unit as well which is odd for an aftermarket type model which means that there is a common code base across the different platforms). Unfortunately I have not been able to get my hands on a loading.kwi file from the Gen 4 v9.1 DVD to search this disc but I am hoping maybe someone has it unhacked and installed in their car and confirm is the voice command is updated or not. What I have seen in other forum posts where people have attempted to hack the Gen 4 v9.1 loading.kwi is that the file is "significantly larger" then the original firmware of around 50MB+/-, almost twice the size they said but I am not sure if that is true or not...

I have never updated the Navigation System as works with the older disc for my purposes. I have been fortunate that usually addresses and roads that I drive haven't really been changed but I am wanting to update now as it is becoming more noticeable. Like everyone else I don't like that the system locks down and I have had passengers use the override option in the hidden menu to access the system while I drive so I haven't wanted to upgrade. I guess I am also too lazy to deal with hybrid discs as I haven't had too many problems with my current DVD.
Old 01-16-10, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally i have had 3 lexus with voice recognition system. i hardly (can almost use never) use them, coz' they just don't really work that well, at least to me.

i only use them for POI usually, like gas station or restaurants
Old 01-16-10, 10:06 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too, never use it in my GS or my past honda's which had this feature.