GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Please explain the Power mode Toggle switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 08:16 AM
mlinn1967
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please explain the Power mode Toggle switch?

Can someone tell me what the difference is in the 3 power modes? (The toggle switch under the arm rest) Do you get the full amount of horsepower in the Power mode, and a reduced amount in the Normal mode? I'm sure the Snow mode will reduce power for better traction but I don't understand what is going on with the other two. Does the car get better gas mileage in the normal mode opposed to the power mode, EVEN IF you are driving the car the same in both modes? If so, why wouldn't you just leave it in Power mode all the time, and have the extra power when you need it?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-18-10, 08:21 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

im sure this is covered in the manual but it has nothing to do with the engine itself i believe. its more for the trans and how it shifts.
Old 01-18-10, 08:21 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This has been covered many times in this forum and just about every other Lexus forum out there. Search is your friend, even Google will find the answer for you in no time.

I would explain it all again, but it seems redundant.

The answer to why you wouldn't leave it in power all the time is economy.
Old 01-18-10, 08:49 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow..I'm sorry but this (as well as your TPMS question) can be answered by reading the manual.
Old 01-18-10, 08:53 AM
LexFather

As stated please SEARCH

In short it adjusts throttle response and shift points. Power means things will be more aggressive and sensitive to foot inputs. Normal is more for economy and just cruising. Snow I believe engages the car in 2nd gear instead of 1st so you don't spin out.
Old 01-18-10, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes. in short, snow mode you start in 2nd gear (iirc), and also it slows down your gas pedal timing so you don't get fast acceleration

pwr mode it changes the shift point a bit

it doesn't change the "power" of your engine
Old 01-19-10, 08:25 AM
NJSID
Driver

leave it in the power mode and you'll always have a rocket under your butt.
Old 01-19-10, 08:36 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
yes. in short, snow mode you start in 2nd gear (iirc), and also it slows down your gas pedal timing so you don't get fast acceleration

pwr mode it changes the shift point a bit

it doesn't change the "power" of your engine

So what your saying is since I put it on snow mode and it slows down the gas pedal timing would it give you better gas mileage to leave it on snoww all the time?
Old 01-19-10, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SRGS300
So what your saying is since I put it on snow mode and it slows down the gas pedal timing would it give you better gas mileage to leave it on snoww all the time?
depends on how you compare it. since now in snow mode, if you do "sudden" hard press on the gas pedal, the car will still continue to accelerate relatively slowly, so between that and normal mode where rpm jumps and car surge forward, yes, gas mileage will be better of course

but if you compare the snow mode to normal mode but you drive very very carefully and moderately, causing the rpm to rise slowly and such, then gas mileage will be the same

in other words, the main idea of slow mode is to "slow down" all the actions for better traction
Old 01-19-10, 10:17 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I guess it's conceivable that leaving it in snow mode during heavy start and stop driving could give you a bit of an MPG boost but it will do nothing for you when cruising.

If it really does start in second gear, I would hazard a guess it would also put a bit of undue strain on the transmission if used for long periods of time.
Old 01-19-10, 10:28 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I guess it's conceivable that leaving it in snow mode during heavy start and stop driving could give you a bit of an MPG boost but it will do nothing for you when cruising.

If it really does start in second gear, I would hazard a guess it would also put a bit of undue strain on the transmission if used for long periods of time.
my Porsche cayenne always starts in 2nd gear. Never had a problem with it
Old 01-19-10, 10:31 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my Porsche cayenne always starts in 2nd gear. Never had a problem with it
Why does it always start in 2nd gear?
Old 01-19-10, 10:36 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

It's from factory like that
Old 01-19-10, 10:38 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

So... is there a first gear that you just can't use, or do they call it a 6 speed transmission but really it only has 5 speeds? (Second gear is really first gear, if no first gear exists!).
Old 01-19-10, 10:44 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah I see...

From Car and Driver:

"With only 229 pound-feet of torque at the driver's disposal, the V-6 simply does not have the wherewithal to get the 5000-pound Cayenne moving with any exuberance. Not helping matters is the six-speed Tiptronic S manumatic that starts out in second gear unless you manually select first. The relatively small engine needs all the torque multiplication it can get, but the gearbox would rather not bother with first gear. A second-gear start is a characteristic of all Tiptronic S gearboxes, but when a 911 Turbo moves away in second, you're still capable of enough acceleration to annoy a traffic cop. In the V-6 Cayenne, you'll annoy exactly two people, yourself and the driver in the car behind you."

Quick Reply: Please explain the Power mode Toggle switch?