GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2009 Hyundai Genesis vs 2008 Lexus GS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 05:32 AM
LexFather

The Genesis is a fantastic vehicle. Let us not forget that a lot of people looked at Lexus with the same eyes as they do the Genesis back in 1989 and even to this day. Some people will never consider a Japanese luxury car, nor a Korean one for whatever reason.
Old 01-21-10, 06:56 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am impressed with the v6 int he GS. It really pulls. Its faster than the Hyundais V8 to 60 mph.
I've driven both and don't believe that. If you are going by a couple of the road tests - go back and read them again. A couple of the early tests of the V8 Genesis admitted that the cars where not properly sorted out yet.

My experience was that the V8 Genesis pulled a lot harder from a dead stop and that the GS didn't "spool up" quite as quickly off the line.
Old 01-21-10, 07:56 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I've driven both and don't believe that. If you are going by a couple of the road tests - go back and read them again. A couple of the early tests of the V8 Genesis admitted that the cars where not properly sorted out yet.

My experience was that the V8 Genesis pulled a lot harder from a dead stop and that the GS didn't "spool up" quite as quickly off the line.
Based on my test drive of the Hyundai, I think the V8 throttle response on the GS is better than the Genesis. Hyundai went for smoothness and the throttle response is more sluggish, comparable to the last generation Mercedes E-class.
Old 01-21-10, 11:32 AM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, they are both equally fast from the line if you can launch them right the only thing that makes the genesis "feel" faster is the fact that its a V8 and it has more torque.
Old 01-21-10, 05:41 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Amalan
Honestly, they are both equally fast from the line if you can launch them right the only thing that makes the genesis "feel" faster is the fact that its a V8 and it has more torque.
You might want to re-read what you just said. If more torque makes it feel faster, then don't you think the more torque might actually make it BE faster?

I've been around a lot of fast cars in my life. I know that feel can be deceptive. You might want to check my sig below if you don't think I know the difference.

Now, having said that, it is possible that the GS 350 I drove that day had regular gas in it, or had something else going on. But I had two friends with me on the rides and there was no question that the Genesis came off the dead stop harder - we all agreed.

By the way, the other guys with me? One drives a Maserati Quatroporte and the other has a BMW 550 sport and 335 sport. We've all been around fast cars for a long time.
Old 01-21-10, 05:51 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't driven the Genesis, the salesman tried hard to get me to do it but I saw no reason. I wasn't going to buy I just wanted to compare the look, the interior and specs to our car. I like the exterior design for it's understated attractiveness. I love the interior. The seats were nice, supportive and thickly bolstered. The dash and console were good quality and attractive.
I could drive it. I ain't hung up on names. I like value and quality.
Well, it would be hard to drive a car called Hyundai but Genesis sounds fine.
Old 01-21-10, 07:12 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Uhh, I just checked and the Genesis 4.6 has an MSRP here of $50,000. Good luck selling those here!

I don't mind the looks of the coupe version, the grill is the ugliest part of both. I get the feeling that the coupe is going to be another tiburon... stands out and looks sharp when first introduced and quickly starts looking like a tacky horror.

My family had a Tiburon when they were first released, it didn't last very long... blew it's engine and got sold to a scrapper. Pretty much poisoned me on the brand.

Gosh does this look a little bit familiar to you guys...

Last edited by BinaryJay; 01-21-10 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 07:36 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

You might want to re-read what you just said. If more torque makes it feel faster, then don't you think the more torque might actually make it BE faster?

I've been around a lot of fast cars in my life. I know that feel can be deceptive. You might want to check my sig below if you don't think I know the difference.

Now, having said that, it is possible that the GS 350 I drove that day had regular gas in it, or had something else going on. But I had two friends with me on the rides and there was no question that the Genesis came off the dead stop harder - we all agreed.

By the way, the other guys with me? One drives a Maserati Quatroporte and the other has a BMW 550 sport and 335 sport. We've all been around fast cars for a long time.
Are you a displacement meathead? My 745Li puts out way more torque than a honda s2000 yet I continually get fried by my friends at digs.

Im not debating whether or not you know the difference, but dont assume that I am some n00b that has no car knowledge what so ever. I have owned/driven everything from ****ty beaters that I bought to trash to high end flagship models. And I dont buy cars to baby them and show off how shiny my paint is, I drive them to a point where the dealer regrets giving me a warranty. Sorry I am not trying to be pretentious, but I am just trying to help you understand where I am coming from.

Now, having said that, I agree that the hyundai genesis will beat the gs350 in a top speed run, but in a quarter mile drag, I think the gs350 will either win or be tied. Looking at numerous articles it seems that the genesis will do the quarter mile in 14 flat at around 103 mph. Last time I went to the drag strip I was able to get under 14sec consistently and a 13.8 @ 101mph was the fastest I was able to get completely stock (heard another member was able to get 13.7).

By the way, telling me how many high end cars you and your friends have somehow makes your argument valid? I dont even want to list how many high end cars ive been in, but I am not going to use that as an argument to my case. Ill stick to hard evidence and numbers over ego.

Last edited by Amalan; 01-21-10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 08:01 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Amalan
Are you a displacement meathead? My 745Li puts out way more torque than a honda s2000 yet I continually get fried by my friends at digs.

Im not debating whether or not you know the difference, but dont assume that I am some n00b that has no car knowledge what so ever. I have owned/driven everything from ****ty beaters that I bought to trash to high end flagship models. And I dont buy cars to baby them and show off how shiny my paint is, I drive them to a point where the dealer regrets giving me a warranty. Sorry I am not trying to be pretentious, but I am just trying to help you understand where I am coming from.

Now, having said that, I agree that the hyundai genesis will beat the gs350 in a top speed run, but in a quarter mile drag, I think the gs350 will either win or be tied. Looking at numerous articles it seems that the genesis will do the quarter mile in 14 flat at around 103 mph. Last time I went to the drag strip I was able to get under 14sec consistently and a 13.8 @ 101mph was the fastest I was able to get completely stock (heard another member was able to get 13.7).

By the way, telling me how many high end cars you and your friends have somehow makes your argument valid? I dont even want to list how many high end cars ive been in, but I am not going to use that as an argument to my case. Ill stick to hard evidence and numbers over ego.
All I was doing was taking your comment that the torque is what makes the Genesis FEEL faster - implying that it only feels it and is not really faster.

I made the comment about my friends cars because they were with me, and I think it gives credibility that we are used to driving cars of similar performance.

As far as hard evidence, I've read plenty of road tests on both cars. I've seen some Genesis V8 tests that are definitely quicker than the GS350. But I'm not quoting them because I realize that different tests on different days cannot be compared. I'm comparing what all three of us experienced in the two cars within 30 minutes of each other. There was no question that the Genesis was faster.

Have you actually driven a V8 Genesis?

Sorry if I offended you.
Old 01-22-10, 05:45 AM
Amalan
Pit Crew

All I was doing was taking your comment that the torque is what makes the Genesis FEEL faster - implying that it only feels it and is not really faster.

I made the comment about my friends cars because they were with me, and I think it gives credibility that we are used to driving cars of similar performance.

As far as hard evidence, I've read plenty of road tests on both cars. I've seen some Genesis V8 tests that are definitely quicker than the GS350. But I'm not quoting them because I realize that different tests on different days cannot be compared. I'm comparing what all three of us experienced in the two cars within 30 minutes of each other. There was no question that the Genesis was faster.

Have you actually driven a V8 Genesis?

Sorry if I offended you.
If you look at the performance numbers theyre pretty identical so what I am saying is that the extra torque makes it feel faster but it isnt. Torque isnt everything but it does provide that whiplash feel when you accelerate. The gs350 is more subtle and doesnt give you gut wrenching acceleration but whether you're realizing it or not, its accelerating pretty quickly.

so unless you raced the two side by side, its hard to tell if one is faster than the other from a dig. When looking at the numbers or just even the average of all the results from different days, different tracks, different altitudes, different temperatures, the two cars seem to have identical performance in the quarter mile. The genesis does seem to have a higher trap speed so eventually if you went past a quarter mile, im sure the genesis would beat the gs350. Regardless, your comment about how the gensis pulled harder from a dead stop is just the whiplash effect the car had which, in my experience, comes from more torque.

And no I have not driven the new genesis, though I would like to if I got a chance. Maybe ill go to the dealership and take one out for a test drive to see what its all about. Its def an interesting car that shouldn't be overlooked because of the brand. Would I ever buy one? Nope. But when I see them on the road, I look at them with a different point of view than I do with every other hyundai.
Old 01-22-10, 03:14 PM
chapagetti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

omg. how can anyone compare a POS hyundai to a Lexus?! this is an outrage! lol.. okay i'll give them one thing, that their cars are IMPROVING.. but its still a hyundai. if you wanna compare the hyundai's V8 genesis then compare it to a Lexus V8!! if you wanna compare a car at a similar price for speed then try a STI / Evo, or even a fully built turbo civic... who the hell cares? its still not a lexus. haha. dont get me wrong, i love koreans, matter fact, I AM korean. koreans make great cell phones, electronics, and instant noodles.. but the cars suck. big time. my parents bought a korean car a while back to "help our peoples economy".. big mistake. the car was a piece of garbage and we traded it in for my WRX and got crap trade in value (and i almost died driving it cuz they are unsafe- brakes failed on the freeway). now that i got my lexus (less than a week ago), im shocked to see that the lexus owners are comparing their cars to hyundais like apples to oranges. id say its more like comparing apples to pieces of doo doo. and $50,000 msrp on a genesis?? what the. lets all get together and throw money in the dumpster and light it on fire while we're at it.
Old 01-22-10, 03:22 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice first post, welcome to CL
Old 01-22-10, 03:27 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The reason why the Genesis gets compared to a GS is because it gets compared to lots of high end cars but it seems the GS is easy to pick on and compare to. It is not like it has class leading performance, handling or looks (though subjective). It does not have a high end sport model and it gets mediocre reviews consistently. Yes it is lower priced and better built than the German sedans but that is exactly what hyundai is trying to do and they are getting better at doing it. You dont see Mb or BMW trying to outdo the others AND charge way less, adding options those cars add up quickly. Hyundai is simply trying to pull off what toyota did 20 years ago and arguably the Genesis is probably as good as the original LS400 was back then....except it happens to be in the midsize sedan class, maybe not ...I dunno LOL
Old 01-22-10, 05:36 PM
chapagetti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Nice first post, welcome to CL
haha thanks, just picked up my first lexus a few days ago..
Old 01-22-10, 07:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chapagetti
omg. how can anyone compare a POS hyundai to a Lexus?! this is an outrage! lol.. okay i'll give them one thing, that their cars are IMPROVING.. but its still a hyundai. if you wanna compare the hyundai's V8 genesis then compare it to a Lexus V8!! if you wanna compare a car at a similar price for speed then try a STI / Evo, or even a fully built turbo civic... who the hell cares? its still not a lexus. haha. dont get me wrong, i love koreans, matter fact, I AM korean. koreans make great cell phones, electronics, and instant noodles.. but the cars suck. big time. my parents bought a korean car a while back to "help our peoples economy".. big mistake. the car was a piece of garbage and we traded it in for my WRX and got crap trade in value (and i almost died driving it cuz they are unsafe- brakes failed on the freeway). now that i got my lexus (less than a week ago), im shocked to see that the lexus owners are comparing their cars to hyundais like apples to oranges. id say its more like comparing apples to pieces of doo doo. and $50,000 msrp on a genesis?? what the. lets all get together and throw money in the dumpster and light it on fire while we're at it.
People have the right to like other cars. The Genesis seems very nice and I won't slam on it. No, it's not a Lexus....but it isn't a piece of crap either.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hyundai Genesis vs 2008 Lexus GS350