GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY: Parking light/ D4S HID low + Xenondepot 194 LED

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 01:35 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^

just note that my 6000k is actually dimmer than the stock 4300k, so BRIGHTNESS is not the issue here, but as you can see from the pic above with the stock bulb, the color difference is pretty extreme, so I would not recommend going for LED

as other members have suggested, the Polarg M4 halogen bulbs is ur best bet to match stock hid
Old 01-20-10, 01:38 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quick question. When you did the HID fogs, were you able to use the stock wiring or did you have to run additional wiring directly to the battery?
Old 01-20-10, 01:43 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

pretty much plug and play with the stock wiring and the harness the kit comes with. Nothing else was needed.

here is the HID fog installation DIY: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tallation.html

Last edited by whlkev; 01-20-10 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 01:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
^^

just note that my 6000k is actually dimmer than the stock 4300k, so BRIGHTNESS is not the issue here, but as you can see from the pic above with the stock bulb, the color difference is pretty extreme, so I would not recommend going for LED

as other members have suggested, the Polarg M4 halogen bulbs is ur best bet to match stock hid
thx!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-10, 01:55 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

It looks from the picture that those new LED parking lights will look extremely blue next to the stock 4300K bulb. Like you said, pictures lie, what's your impression?

I don't think I ever want 6000k lows, the highest I might have to go is 5000k. I don't want those parking lights to stand out even more and force me to have to go to a higher colour and lose too much output. It's a family car, if I was the only person driving I wouldn't be concerned but I have to put safety first.

I wonder how the HID kits from XenonDepot compare with the likes of, the V-LEDs (V-HID) kits which are offered around the same price points?
Old 01-20-10, 02:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

for hid fogs, it depends on what kind of kit you got. some of them are completely 9006 plug and play that comes with two sets of harnesses and relays. those are what i had before, very easy to install (and worth it). but later i noticed some kids where the stock harness (one of them) is used as a trigger, and the hid fogs gets power directly from battery (extra wires). i don't think those are as well

kevin, so you are saying if i have stock hid, don't upgrade to the led you have huh? great, just how much money you want to make me spend!
Old 01-20-10, 02:10 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

someone else asked the same thing, look for my post #16 =)

here is a little color temp comparison

although the color that these LEDs produce are almost pure white, but it will look a bit bluish in the housing, so to properly match them 100%, it'll have to be up there with the 8000k HID

that's only if you want everything to match...

as for the kits, you guys are lucky, they are so cheap now, and they've been around for ages, so if they go bad after 3-4 years, no big deal, just replace some parts

my philips kit was 450 bucks when I got it, it will hurt if they go bad
Old 01-20-10, 02:15 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

lol Henry, I thought you like the color of the stock HID! i think it all comes down to personal preference, I just don't think white/bluish color match all that well with the stock HID's yellowish output

so when the 6000k is properly warmed up and becomes white-ish, it matches much better with these =)
Old 01-20-10, 02:22 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
for hid fogs, it depends on what kind of kit you got. some of them are completely 9006 plug and play that comes with two sets of harnesses and relays. those are what i had before, very easy to install (and worth it). but later i noticed some kids where the stock harness (one of them) is used as a trigger, and the hid fogs gets power directly from battery (extra wires). i don't think those are as well
They never seem to disclose very much information about the harnesses included etc. I can't quite figure out if these are true plug & play or not.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/ProductDet...dp-4k&CartID=2
Old 01-20-10, 02:31 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

not sure about the volt but spend a bit more on this kit, comes with the harness, the volt doesn't appear to include them

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme_HID..._2001_s/21.htm
Old 01-20-10, 02:32 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

BinaryJay,

The Volt kit does not come with a relay harness. The ballasts get powere directly from the OEM wiring. The Volt ballasts are low draw so you can safely power the ballasts directly from the OEM wiring. If you have any specific questions please feel free to send me a PM and it would be my pleasure to help you out.

whlkev - As you know, you tried out the 194 360 LED bulb however we also carry 194 LED Wedge Bulbs. The wedge bulbs will not be as bright and they will be shorter.

Great pictures! Did I lie about how bright these things are?

Steve
Old 01-20-10, 02:37 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Thanks Steve! yup, I've tried other version of the wedge and the result is not as great as the 360, it appears as a bright DOT inside the housing whereas the 360 fills the housing, it looks much more pleasing to my eyes

these are truly awesome and bright! the extra length is well worth it!
Old 01-20-10, 02:39 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
BinaryJay,

The Volt kit does not come with a relay harness. The ballasts get powere directly from the OEM wiring. The Volt ballasts are low draw so you can safely power the ballasts directly from the OEM wiring. If you have any specific questions please feel free to send me a PM and it would be my pleasure to help you out.

whlkev - As you know, you tried out the 194 360 LED bulb however we also carry 194 LED Wedge Bulbs. The wedge bulbs will not be as bright and they will be shorter.

Great pictures! Did I lie about how bright these things are?

Steve
Thanks. So, should I even ask... why pay almost twice as much for the "Xtreme" kit? It seems, from what you're telling me, that the Volt one is even simpler to install. Is it just a matter of quality? Being fog replacements, I doubt I need the fanciest kit on the intewebs. I just want something that I can easily get in there and swap out with as little fuss as possible that will actually light up the road compared to the oem halogen bulbs which don't seem to do a hell of a lot.
Old 01-20-10, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

someone else asked the same thing, look for my post #16 =)

here is a little color temp comparison

although the color that these LEDs produce are almost pure white, but it will look a bit bluish in the housing, so to properly match them 100%, it'll have to be up there with the 8000k HID

that's only if you want everything to match...

as for the kits, you guys are lucky, they are so cheap now, and they've been around for ages, so if they go bad after 3-4 years, no big deal, just replace some parts

my philips kit was 450 bucks when I got it, it will hurt if they go bad
ouch. years ago i spent so much time and found the philips hid kits for like 300 and i was so happy already

indeed, now, hid kits are cheap
Old 01-20-10, 03:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol Henry, I thought you like the color of the stock HID! i think it all comes down to personal preference, I just don't think white/bluish color match all that well with the stock HID's yellowish output

so when the 6000k is properly warmed up and becomes white-ish, it matches much better with these =)
lol kevin, my gs400, 6000k hid and 6000k hid fogs. my is300, 6000k hid. my sc430, 6000k hid.

ls460l and gs350 are my first cars without 6000k. i love the light of 6000k, even when sacrificing some light output. i am just too lazy.... must be an age thing

Quick Reply: DIY: Parking light/ D4S HID low + Xenondepot 194 LED