GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY: Parking light/ D4S HID low + Xenondepot 194 LED

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 04:14 PM
R.DUB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old 01-20-10, 04:20 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

great post kev, definetely should be considered for sticky, theres always a question every week regarding this.
Old 01-20-10, 04:39 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job Kevin, I'll be looking into these bulbs for sure.

rg
Old 01-20-10, 09:17 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a difference. It appears to do the job of fully illuminating the housing.
Old 01-22-10, 08:35 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^

yup, it surely does light up the housing very well with all those led pointing at different directions

and I just realized that owners of GS450h/350/300 might have slightly different layout of the engine bay, so, this is used as a guideline only
Old 01-28-10, 06:48 PM
R.DUB
Driver

So whlkev, do you thing the Osram bulbs or the 360 LED bulbs are the closest match to 6000k HIDs?
Old 01-29-10, 11:26 AM
pHamous
Driver School Candidate

Great write-up and descriptions! Just picked up my GS recently and this answered all my questions I had about the bulb types and coloring.

However, there's always that one guy that will ask for more when so much has already been offered.

What about the daytime running lights? What options are available for that and what bulb type is it to replace? I just placed an order for the bulbs and I can't wait to see how it looks at night but you didn't post any love for the daytime hours of driving. Hate that pale yellow stock color.....
Old 01-29-10, 11:36 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R.DUB
So whlkev, do you thing the Osram bulbs or the 360 LED bulbs are the closest match to 6000k HIDs?
neither, I am not a big fan of all matching colors, a nice contrast is much nicer look IMO, the Osram bulbs is a bit whiter than stock halogen bulbs as you can see from one of the pic, but that's about it, it's a nice contrast to both matching low/fog HID

360 LED would match better with 8000k because it's more blue than purple like 6000k, although the LED is pretty white but appears a bit bluish inside the housing

look here for more options on other LED, there is a HUGE thread about this here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...omparison.html

Originally Posted by pHamous
Great write-up and descriptions! Just picked up my GS recently and this answered all my questions I had about the bulb types and coloring.

However, there's always that one guy that will ask for more when so much has already been offered.

What about the daytime running lights? What options are available for that and what bulb type is it to replace? I just placed an order for the bulbs and I can't wait to see how it looks at night but you didn't post any love for the daytime hours of driving. Hate that pale yellow stock color.....
haha, DRL is for safety reason, having it white/blue is useless in poor condition and most of us that don't like it have it turned off.

since DRL is high beam on lower wattage, you'll need a module to make it work. most people get them from VLED but please realize it will render your high beam useless.

It's too much trouble for little purpose, so yes, no love for DRL modding for me =)

here is a picture with one on, it looks like a disco going off in the housing, more info here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...g-daytime.html

Old 01-29-10, 10:04 PM
NiceGS300
Rookie

hey i have a 06 gs300 and want to leave my stock hid's in but i want to make my to fog lights hid to match the top and change the bulbs on the two little inner ones to match as well. the guy told me 220 for the hid fog light kit with a 1 year warantee and 10 bucks each for each inner bulb to match is this a good deal? do i have to worry about any melting or problems or malfunctions? any advice im new to this id appreciate it thanks , matt
Old 02-01-10, 11:08 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Matt,

220 just for the kit? or is that installed price? look for kits sold by CL vendors, you can find some great deals. 220 just for the kit is way too expensive.

10 bucks each for the LED is around the avg price for a decent set, so that's not bad.

As long as you run the 35W HID for your fog, you have nothing to worry about.

malfunctions have a lot to do with your installation and kits quality.
Old 03-02-10, 08:41 PM
kazuto88
Rookie

hey guys so i ran into a little problem..i was trying to change the parking lights..but in the process, the bulbs fell into the headlight housing >.< anyone know how to remove the housing so i can get them out??
Old 03-02-10, 08:43 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

you have to bake the headlight to pull it apart.. i would not do it that way

I actually thought about this when I was installing, I would put some strong tape in front of a cloth hanger and try to stick it out that way

maybe that could work? not sure
Old 03-02-10, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, use metal cloth hanger and some tape at the end. that's your best bet

otherwise, can start thinking about taking out the whole headlight and "shake" it out
Old 03-03-10, 06:16 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kazuto88
hey guys so i ran into a little problem..i was trying to change the parking lights..but in the process, the bulbs fell into the headlight housing >.< anyone know how to remove the housing so i can get them out??
What do you think you did wrong? I ordered the Putco 360 LEDs (I'm going to the disco for better or for worse!) from this thread along with my 3000k XenonDepot kit (which has yet to ship, backorder... ), and I assumed it would be foolproof to get the bulbs out and in but now you've got me wondering if it's not that simple to get them out cleanly.
Old 03-03-10, 08:06 PM
kazuto88
Rookie

problem solved, metal hanger worked like charm
what had initially happened was that the 194 bulbs i used to replace the stock ones didn't hold tight once i put them in, thus they fell out when i was trying to put the stick back in the housing..this time around, i used some duck tape to make sure they stay on

overall, i'm satisfied with the outcome. of course, my new 194's don't match the stock HID's perfectly (little hint of blue compared to the pure white HID) but at least i got rid of that nasty amber color! lol next up are the fogs-hyper yellow!

Quick Reply: DIY: Parking light/ D4S HID low + Xenondepot 194 LED