GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bulb store

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 07:36 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bulb store

I'm planning to buy another pair of 6K D4S and I've been seeing that a lot of people on this site has Garax, and heard mostly positives about it, so I'm planning to get that or MobileHID or Kaixen. So is there any significance differences between these brands? and should if I buy the Garax from Ebay or JDMtoy store? Need some feedbacks before I orderthem today, thanks!
Old 01-22-10, 08:11 AM
LxBubble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In November I purchased a set of Garax 6000k bulbs (89.95) and a 6000k MTEC HID kit (200.00) for my fogs on Ebay from a seller Auto-Perfect. The seller shipped both right away and I had them in about 3 days. The two match perfectly and I couldn’t be happier; I have not had a problem with either item. Now if I could find a 194 bulb to match, my lights would be perfect but haven’t had much luck with that.
Old 01-22-10, 08:36 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mobileHID no longer carries regular car's bulbs

I highly recommend xenon depot's
Old 01-22-10, 09:29 AM
energie8
Instructor

I read a post few days ago on this site about how some people are saying that the Garax bulbs they sell on Ebay is different from the Garax one on JDMtoy site, what gives?
Old 01-22-10, 09:31 AM
energie8
Instructor

And has anyone from Canada bought it from USA? any customs issues?
Old 01-22-10, 02:28 PM
LexiGS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want the quality, longevity and not care about the price, i would suggest you get the Japanese Bellof 5800k or 6300k, they both are about $450, I got the 5800K two years ago before they released the 6300k last year, it kinda matches my MTEC HID fog, the 5800k's output on the road is very clear and is little bit silky white, I LOVE THEM!!! Once I turn on the headlight, it starts purple then turns to silky white color, I don't know about the 6300k, but i'm sure they got the look and quality. Here is the link to 6300k if you want to purchase them: http://www.rhdjapan.com/Bellof-Optim...ent-Bulb-62146 and here is the Bellof homepage: http://www.bellof.co.jp/products/optimal.html
Old 01-22-10, 02:34 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$450 for a pair of bulbs? are u serious, way too rich for my blood

not even philips ultinon costs that much, it is SO not worth it

for that price, i can get 7 pairs+ of lesser known brand bulbs and guarantee will outlast the life of that Bellof
Old 01-22-10, 02:51 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
$450 for a pair of bulbs? are u serious, way too rich for my blood

not even philips ultinon costs that much, it is SO not worth it

for that price, i can get 7 pairs+ of lesser known brand bulbs and guarantee will outlast the life of that Bellof
Seriously... It's like spending $400 on HDMI cables. Waste of money.
Old 01-22-10, 03:28 PM
energie8
Instructor

Wow,that's an arm and a leg.What's so special and different compared to the Garax and Philips?
Old 01-22-10, 07:22 PM
LexiGS
Pole Position

Well...it's just my own personal preference. I just know they are developed for racing use. Directly derived from Le Mans and JGTC racing and give unequaled brightness and stability. I'm sure they got the quality with no question asked, i've rather spend extra $100 to $200 to get the quality and longevity, i've had "OK" experience with Philips, but JDM/Garax from ebay and less than $100(pair) just makes me "PAUSE". Japanese famous shops "TopSecret", "MCR" and "Mine's" their cars are all using Bellof HID system, although it's expensive and well known brand HID in Japan, but it gives me happiness..... BTW, PIAA is releasing 6350k D4s, you can consider on that one too.
Old 01-22-10, 08:14 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Seriously... It's like spending $400 on HDMI cables. Waste of money.
Best analogy ever. It won't be long until we have Monster Bulbs. There are still people out there riding the placebo train blindly throwing their money away.

I'd like to believe that there are "Monoprice" brands out there for just about any kind of overpriced commodity product.

eBay and some of the import brands of things like light bulbs does make me wonder though, I am positive that a vast majority of them are counterfeits from hong kong.
Old 01-22-10, 08:20 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by energie8
And has anyone from Canada bought it from USA? any customs issues?
Customs issues are the same for everything. For most items there is no duty, some items made outside north america have duties attached to them averaging around 6%.

Low value items under $80 or so have a 50/50 chance of slipping through without any duty or taxes in my experience as long as they are shipped airmail through the US Postal Service. Higher value items almost always get assessed and you will normally only pay federal and provincial taxes on the declared value of the item, plus a flat $5 brokerage fee.

The situation worsens significantly with couriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.) as their brokerage fees can be excessive to the point where some are calling for governmental control over the fleecing.

Bottom line is for high value items, never allow it to be sent via courier unless you really need it.

Or do as I do, if you have a trip planned to the US and will stay there for 48+ hours you have a $400 exemption to bring things back duty/tax free. I'm going to Rhode Island next weekend for business and I'm taking a Porter Cable 7424XP kit back with me... much cheaper than locally available and bonus, no taxes (legally).
Old 01-22-10, 10:59 PM
LexiGS
Pole Position

it's a wrong analogy actually, I'm sure HDMI cable will last 10..20 years at least, it's either your TV or DVD player not working, you rarely heard..."Oh....my HDMI cable broke in half!!!" and I wouldn't spend $400 for HDMI cable, but I would pay for HID system, because we are looking at the quality and longevity, and longevity is already there for HDMI cable, just depends if you want to pay a little more for the quality. GOD.....i'm a economist!!!
Old 01-22-10, 11:01 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexiGS
it's a wrong analogy actually, I'm sure HDMI cable will last 10..20 years at least, it's either your TV or DVD player not working, you rarely heard..."Oh....my HDMI cable broke in half!!!" and I wouldn't spend $400 for HDMI cable, but I would pay for HID system, because we are looking at the quality and longevity, and longevity is already there for HDMI cable, just depends if you want to pay a little more for the quality. GOD.....i'm a economist!!!
So you're telling me that $400 bulbs are going to last longer than 8 sets of OEM bulbs from ebay? Spock would roll in his grave at your logic.
Old 01-22-10, 11:04 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Best analogy ever. It won't be long until we have Monster Bulbs. There are still people out there riding the placebo train blindly throwing their money away.

I'd like to believe that there are "Monoprice" brands out there for just about any kind of overpriced commodity product.

eBay and some of the import brands of things like light bulbs does make me wonder though, I am positive that a vast majority of them are counterfeits from hong kong.
LMAO. So true. Please don't bring up Monster. Can't stand that company. Just like Bose. Overpriced CRAP.

Sorry, off-topic but yeah...$400 for a set of bulbs is way too rich for my blood too! Yikes!

Quick Reply: Bulb store