GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Lexus sits for 5mo and then sold after just a wash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 08:11 PM
austinGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus sits for 5mo and then sold after just a wash?

Could this be true? Lexus dealerships do not have a clear protocol of whats to be checked right before delivery to you? They do however complete their 150 point check right after delivery from the Port to their dealership. But with today's economy, this could mean that your LS or GS was sitting in the dealership lot for 5months. Happened to me! the registration sticker tells the story.

The Service Director says that the Sales Dept should know to checkout the car before delivery! I'm wondering how would they know? My car ended up being delivered with flat spots on tires and brakes that shuddered when stopping. My bad, I did not test drive the car that was finally delivered to me. Yeah a brand new $50K GS350 - Thanks Lexus!

Last edited by austinGS; 01-24-10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-24-10, 09:00 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by austinGS
Could this be true? Lexus dealerships do not have a clear protocol of whats to be checked right before delivery to you? They do however complete their 150 point check right after delivery from the Port to their dealership. But with today's economy, this could mean that your LS or GS was sitting in the dealership lot for 5months. Happened to me! the registration sticker tells the story.

The Service Director says that the Sales Dept should know to checkout the car before delivery! I'm wondering how would they know? My car ended up being delivered with flat spots on tires and brakes that shuddered when stopping. My bad, I did not test drive the car that was finally delivered to me. Yeah a brand new $50K GS350 - Thanks Lexus!
My car was sitting on the lot for longer than that - 9 months.

However, I did not have any of these issues. The car drove perfectly, and it recieved a high quality full detail, not a car wash. It looked immaculate when I took posession of it. Also I did not have any flat spots, and no brake issues. I did have one issue which is that there was something wrong with the battery. However the dealer identified it before they delivered it and put a new battery in for me. I only knew about it, because after I bought it, it took them a while to get it ready for delivery and they explained it all to me. Run flats are particularly prone to flat spots, and these guys apparently make a point of moving the cars slightly every couple of weeks.
Old 01-25-10, 06:51 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

When I was shopping around trying to find the "right" GS for me...I was well aware of how long some of these had been sitting. Was trying to get the dealer to trade with a Knoxville dealer and he made the comment that it had been sitting there since April...it was September at the time. I told him to forget that one. Luckily he found the one I'm driving now in Indianapolis that had just got off the boat and had only been at the dealership for a week. 5 months of sitting outside cannot be good for the paint either. How often do they wash them after they've sat and collected bird crap, dust, acid rain..etc.
Old 01-25-10, 07:16 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

It's interesting. Around here all the bigger dealerships store all of their cars indoors, so they aren't out in the rain. We are lucky to have the 2 largest Lexus dealerships in the country in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

It make sense, I think all dealerships should have indoor lots. The BMW dealer here also build a massive indoor lot recently, and the Benz dealer has one too. They are indoor multi-storey lots, so what happens is you drive through the parking garage and pick out a car, but the outdoor lot is used for pre-owned.
Old 01-25-10, 07:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

All the Lexus dealers here in have indoor garage as well. The dealer usually pump up the tire pressure and move their new cars around to prevent flat spots. All of the Lexus I have bought were prep after I pay for it, not months ago.
Old 01-25-10, 06:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I can imagine in todays market vehicles are sitting around a bit longer that usual
Old 01-26-10, 05:13 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

I guess we got lucky. Ours was sitting on a delivery truck that had just arrived for unloading.
Old 01-26-10, 05:35 PM
austinGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by MI350_55
I guess we got lucky. Ours was sitting on a delivery truck that had just arrived for unloading.
Yup, that's what I will be looking for the next time I put down the $$.
Old 02-06-10, 10:36 AM
enigmaos
Driver

the dealer didn't take care of those two things after you brought to their attention?
Old 02-06-10, 12:07 PM
austinGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigmaos
the dealer didn't take care of those two things after you brought to their attention?
Yes they did, but not in a very comforting manner - It was less than 24hrs since I put down $50K for a new vehicle and the first response from my just introduced Service Manager was "We will see what we can do. I need to get an OK from the Sales Director". I was livid and I had to call the Lexus 800 customer care number to get the dealership to fix it. When I ask what went wrong, I am told by the dealership that tire and brakes are regular wear and tear items and this was never a repair. HUH - a car with 25miles on it, what wear and tear! The dealership was and still is quite dismissive and curt with me when I pointed out that I've potentially lost value in a New car. I sense that the dealership knew this defect all along and was looking to pass it off.

I love the GS, don't get me wrong - just sad that there is no competition for this Lexus dealer here (Austin, TX) and hence their poor customer care. Wish I had the $$$ to put up a real Lexus dealership and get all their customers - I bet anyone could.
Old 02-06-10, 12:34 PM
enigmaos
Driver

25 miles with wear and tear issues!? That is ridiculous.

Have you considered filing another complain with their customer service?
Old 02-06-10, 04:28 PM
dmjay
Rookie

When I was shopping for my GS back in 07, I was e-mailing dealership for a blk/blk combo. Needless to say, I told the internet manager that I would be coming in within minutes of emailing him to check out the car. Low and behold, the had the GS waiting for me next to the show room in the shade clean and ready to inspect.

Thats what I call customer service. I ended leaving the dealership with my GS and never could be happier
Old 02-06-10, 05:36 PM
austinGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigmaos
25 miles with wear and tear issues!? That is ridiculous.

Have you considered filing another complain with their customer service?
I did and thats when I was told that its regular wear and tear. Makes me wonder if Lexus is loosing its customer service magic - Lexus of Austin is in the Elite of Lexus list!

Not sure what I can do given that I am at the mercy of the dealership - If I pi** them off, then where will I go for any future service. Obviously not going there for just oil changes but I do expect to keep this car for another 7 years. The nearest next Lexus dealership is a 120miles away.
Old 02-06-10, 06:21 PM
enigmaos
Driver

do Toyota dealerships service Lexus vehicles? because some Honda dealers service Acura vehicles. Not sure about warranty work. Just a thought.
Old 02-06-10, 06:37 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

No stick to the Lexus dealer in Austin. They can't mess with you. I would write a customer service enquiry on the lexus owners site. Write it in a fact based but very unhappy way. Lexus will fix it with the dealer.

Lexus corporate can be really painful to a Lexus service manger. New car with 25 miles is a pretty black and white issue. They need to fix it perfectly and compensate you for the hassle.

They will call you in 24 hours. it will be resolved in less than a week.