GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Run Flat Replaced with Non-Run Flat

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 08:48 PM
rlin5741
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flat Replaced with Non-Run Flat

I've seen several posts about this topic, but I saw someone mention that run-flats are more resistant to blow-outs or easier to control in blow-outs. Is this true? I'm considering swapping out the stock run-flats with either Bridgestone Serenity or Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires.

Also, would a full size spare fit in the space below the trunk floor? Since I think the full size spare would go into the tire rotation, I assume it needs to be equipped with a tire pressure monitor and programmed into the car electronics, are Lexus dealers able to install non-OEM tires on cars? If anyone has experience with this near or around Manhattan, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-10, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the idea of runflat is to avoid blowout so you get the idea. but if you get a flat, there is no patching, tire has to be replaced, and imho that's painful. not to mention the harsh ride.

full size spare will not fit in the trunk floor, it will rise up quite a bit. the space is only enough for a donut, and although we have had a lot of debates here, personally i still don't think there is tpms in the spare donut.

i don't know if dealerships have specific rules on what tires to install, but personally i wouldn't really care much about having dealerships to install tires
Old 01-26-10, 01:38 AM
dwiall
Driver

I had a bad run flat when I bought the car and replaced them with Bridgestone serinity. The tire is good but not as good as the Goodyear Tripletread I have on another car. When I took the car in to get the rims replaced at the dealer I had them put on the Bridgestones. I don't think they care what you put on it. they know you will just get it done elswhere so they want your money. Try the Goodyears and tell me how they are on the GS for ride and handleing.

Unless you have a tendancy to slide the car off corners alot, the Bridgestone is a huge improvement over the runflats in terms of ride quality. Someone on here said Bridgstones are known for being a little harsh on the concrete expansion joints and the like, I can vouch for this also.
Old 01-26-10, 05:24 AM
rlin5741
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
the idea of runflat is to avoid blowout so you get the idea. but if you get a flat, there is no patching, tire has to be replaced, and imho that's painful. not to mention the harsh ride.

full size spare will not fit in the trunk floor, it will rise up quite a bit. the space is only enough for a donut, and although we have had a lot of debates here, personally i still don't think there is tpms in the spare donut.

i don't know if dealerships have specific rules on what tires to install, but personally i wouldn't really care much about having dealerships to install tires
Thanks for the help - disappointing a full size spare won't fit in that space. Has anyone found a good runflat? All the reviews on tirerack are rather miserable, except for the Pirelli Nero All-Season Runflat which has no reviews and is $100 cheaper than all the others but with higher treadlife rating -- anyone have experience with those?
Old 01-26-10, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't have experience on a lot of runflats, but i haven't heard anything good about them neither... most people complain about the harsh ride, and the fact that they are very expensive, and not repairable
Old 01-26-10, 01:46 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

It is not possible to have a "good" traditional runflat tire in a sense that it would offer good ride quality. That's because to be "run-flat" they need to have very stiff sidewalls. The only exception in recent time was the failed Michellin PAX system on Honda Odyssey minivans. That's a whole other horror story....
Old 01-26-10, 04:11 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're a member of AAA, I don't see the necessity of Run Flats unless you think you'll be driving through a lot of bad areas or war zones.
Old 01-26-10, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dadoody
If you're a member of AAA, I don't see the necessity of Run Flats unless you think you'll be driving through a lot of bad areas or war zones.
haha, well, if you are in the middle of a long trip where you are 100 miles from either way, AAA can still be a little trouble

but that's the time when i just put a stock wheel in the trunk