GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

So, does this malfunctioning gas pedal system affect us or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 05:17 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
It's a totally different design for the pedal on the GS...its not the type that hangs from the top like almost all Toyotas. I found it really hard to get used to when I first started driving the car...
My AWD has the hanging accelerator instead of the granny board. From what somebody else mentioned before, I think all AWDs have this kind of accelerator and the RWDs have the big old "board" type.
Old 02-04-10, 06:59 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Here is an article which expounds my concern about the government behaviour on this:

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...aspx?id=520091

Right, the conspiracy theory I was referring to. I definitely agree that the US government should just get out running companies and go back to running the government and cutting the deficit. That's not a discussion for this board though.
Old 02-04-10, 08:25 PM
enigmaos
Driver

Originally Posted by DWNYC
Well, conspiracy theory or not, LaHood does have a duty to make sure the cars are safe.

In terms of being educated, i won't claim to know enough about the electronics that LaHood wants to investigate but if that is an issue and can also be or actually be the cause of the acceleration issue, then hinge design won't matter nor does the manufacturer of the pedal (CTS or Denso). CTS did say it manufactured the higes to specs provided by Toyota. If it is really a faulty manufacturing rather than faulty design, then Toyota should sue CTS to clear their name. It would be interesting if they don't - perhaps CTS is too important for Toyota to go after....don't know.
We will find out sooner or later. CTS vs Toyota.
Old 03-03-10, 10:52 AM
formgs300
Driver School Candidate

Default My GS has accel issue and Toyota knows about it.

My 2004 GS 300 has an acceleration problem but not the one in the recall.
It began around 6k miles and has been chronic ever since. Every time I take it to the dealer I note it on the ticket and every time Lexus tells me that Toyota is aware of the issue but there is no resolution, recall or computer upgrade. They told me it seems to be an issue with the ECM, transmission and drive by wire.

The issue occurs when pulling out or at low speed. From stop press on the accelerator and the car moves about 25 feet then it slows up. The natural reaction is to give it more pedal then you take off like a rocket. At low speed below 45 it does not respond to the accelerator then surges ahead.

Countless times I've had to mash it to the floor to avoid an accident. Only solution found so far is pulling the EFI fuse after every oil change but it eventually shows up when you least expect it.

Seems their solution is to buy a new car. I submitted a compaint to the NHTSA and have found the same issue on line. Lexus dealer brushed it off the last time and I told them I would own the dealership if it wasn't fixed and it caused an accident. They stopped smiling.
Old 03-03-10, 11:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by formgs300
My 2004 GS 300 has an acceleration problem but not the one in the recall.
It began around 6k miles and has been chronic ever since. Every time I take it to the dealer I note it on the ticket and every time Lexus tells me that Toyota is aware of the issue but there is no resolution, recall or computer upgrade. They told me it seems to be an issue with the ECM, transmission and drive by wire.

The issue occurs when pulling out or at low speed. From stop press on the accelerator and the car moves about 25 feet then it slows up. The natural reaction is to give it more pedal then you take off like a rocket. At low speed below 45 it does not respond to the accelerator then surges ahead.

Countless times I've had to mash it to the floor to avoid an accident. Only solution found so far is pulling the EFI fuse after every oil change but it eventually shows up when you least expect it.

Seems their solution is to buy a new car. I submitted a compaint to the NHTSA and have found the same issue on line. Lexus dealer brushed it off the last time and I told them I would own the dealership if it wasn't fixed and it caused an accident. They stopped smiling.
This is the 3GS forum, 2006-2011. You are in the wrong forum and you joined just to share some bad news we cannot validate.

Thanks
Old 03-03-10, 02:00 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is the 3GS forum, 2006-2011. You are in the wrong forum and you joined just to share some bad news we cannot validate.

Thanks
That's a bit harsh. Can anyone really verify what anyone says on these forums?

Anyways, I hope Toyota is really trying to figure it out and regain consumer confidance in their products. Granted much of the hysteria has been caused by the witch hunt but that's Obama and his adminstration (and his GM).
Old 03-03-10, 06:57 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most people realize that Lexus is not included in the recall, but I can see people questioning the Lexus engineering too since it is designed by toyota afterall. Also, I can see Lexus owners being concerned if the issue is as pervasive as faulty engineering with the electronics. I can't imagine that wouldn't affect Lexus cars at that point.

Lexus is included, Look at the 07 ES 350 that were quietly repaired.
Old 03-03-10, 06:58 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just took delivery of a new BMW 328 Coupe. This is my 3rd, and probably not my last. However, I bought a new '07 GS350 and it's been problem free. Realistically, from a reliability standpoint, the Lexus will in all probability outlast the BMW. I realize and appreciate the attributes of both. I will in all likelihood replace the BMW again (and maybe again) before the Lexus ever needs replacement. But I've always loved the ride and handling of the BMW, and don't want to be without one.
Bottom line - I've loved BMW's for the past 15 years, and will hopefully continue to do so. But, I anticipate always having a Lexus GS (if mine is any indication) if only for the fact that it's such a 'perfect' machine.
Old 03-03-10, 08:57 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
Lexus is included, Look at the 07 ES 350 that were quietly repaired.
There's nothing wrong with the ES350. In fact I think the fix actually messes up the car. On the ES350 forums there are more people who don't want the fix than want it.
Old 03-04-10, 07:08 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

recall for the ES is the floor mats...not the accelerator pedal problem.

again though..this is a 3GS forum.
Old 03-07-10, 07:34 AM
98OysterES
Driver

Originally Posted by worker
I can only speak for my own personal experience with my Camry SE V6 '07. It was full of problems. Last problem I had was the rupture oil line.
Me too! My XLE V6 didn't have tons of problems, I only had the VVTi Oil Line issue ... I was luckily spared of the tranny flare issue!
Old 03-07-10, 11:54 AM
DaBeast
Driver

As far as the official word from Toyota goes, no. However, there seems to be some stories of the acceleration problem creeping up in Toyota cars that weren't included on the list. Also, there seems to be a larger investigation of the electronics. I would say if there is a problem with the electronics, I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus and other Toyota cars would be included.

I think it's more of a wait and see. Certainly not worried at this point. It's a little disappointing to see these issues coming up for Toyota. I wonder if they can ever recover on their reliability reputation. Has it been completely lost to Honda....
Very true and Honda's little fire in the door recall got quietly taken care of while Toyota took all of the heat. Most of the major manufacturers all issued recalls while Toyota went through the ringer.
Old 03-07-10, 02:26 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from what i understand if your vin # begins with JT your vehicle was produced in Japan and therefore not affected
Old 03-07-10, 03:36 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No it does not affect the GS. The hysteria is amazing though.
Hysteria is right. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightening than having your Camry go bezerk and start mowing down random pedestrians while you flail frantically at the wheel.

Anyone old enough to recall the Audi 'SAI' brouhaha of '86-87? First, 60 minutes did a hose job on them, by jury rigging a 5000 to with some high pressure hydraulic hose in the tranny (3sp auto ) Then the lawyers started smelling money. Then the owners started filing class-action lawsuits. End result? The NHSTA determined that EVERY incidence was due to "Driver error, pedal misapplication". Yes, Joe Boatfoot and Betty Twinkle toes were stepping on the gas not the brake. They pushed the pedal right to the floor, and still Audi would not stop! Uh, yeah, it was the Gas Pedal.

I don't know how much damage those things could have done, that old inline 5 had maybe 110 hp running through an ancient 3sp slushbox. I had one, bought it for $4000 used. nice car. Rattly dash though...
Old 03-08-10, 03:17 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Neutral is ur friend.

Quick Reply: So, does this malfunctioning gas pedal system affect us or not?