GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

So, does this malfunctioning gas pedal system affect us or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 06:59 AM
ramair57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, does this malfunctioning gas pedal system affect us or not?

Just wondering if I'm in the clear for my car - a 2009 GS 350 awd? I have heard rumors it affects lexus too; should I have my dealer do the replacement, or are we good to go?
Old 02-04-10, 07:08 AM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by ramair57
Just wondering if I'm in the clear for my car - a 2009 GS 350 awd? I have heard rumors it affects lexus too; should I have my dealer do the replacement, or are we good to go?
As far as the official word from Toyota goes, no. However, there seems to be some stories of the acceleration problem creeping up in Toyota cars that weren't included on the list. Also, there seems to be a larger investigation of the electronics. I would say if there is a problem with the electronics, I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus and other Toyota cars would be included.

I think it's more of a wait and see. Certainly not worried at this point. It's a little disappointing to see these issues coming up for Toyota. I wonder if they can ever recover on their reliability reputation. Has it been completely lost to Honda....
Old 02-04-10, 07:50 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

@DWNYC - haven't given up on Toyota/Lexus. If it ends up being electronic issues and not a pedal problem...then I'll re-think my allegiance...since that would mean they have no idea what's going on.

The GS is not included in this recall...and it wasn't included in the faulty all-weather floor mat recall either.
Old 02-04-10, 08:31 AM
LexFather

No it does not affect the GS. The hysteria is amazing though.
Old 02-04-10, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-of-sales.html
Old 02-04-10, 09:13 AM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No it does not affect the GS. The hysteria is amazing though.

I think most people realize that Lexus is not included in the recall, but I can see people questioning the Lexus engineering too since it is designed by toyota afterall. Also, I can see Lexus owners being concerned if the issue is as pervasive as faulty engineering with the electronics. I can't imagine that wouldn't affect Lexus cars at that point.
Old 02-04-10, 09:22 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The key is to be educated on this problem. Toyota cars built in the US with the Indiana base CTS corp are the ones recalled for sticky pedals and not the japanese built Toyotas or Lexus nor the canadian built Lexus RX350 since those have the pedal parts from Denso which is a japanese owned company. Plain simple.
Old 02-04-10, 09:34 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Rexus!!!!!.....thank you!!! I've been trying to tell everyone I know...nobody listens. It's easier to believe the bad stuff.

I've also been reading where everyone who drives one of these "recalled" vehicles believes the cold weather/morning warm-up, where the engine revs higher, is a faulty accelerator pedal and have stopped driving their cars. It's really getting ridiculous.
Old 02-04-10, 09:43 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't it weird that this was all triggered by the CHP officer that died in the ES350 loaner car yet no Lexus' are affected?
Old 02-04-10, 10:17 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Isn't it weird that this was all triggered by the CHP officer that died in the ES350 loaner car yet no Lexus' are affected?
That was the dealers fault. Even then Toyota is doing changes to avoid a repeat.

The recall and government bashing is due to a faulty Toyota Part which comes from a US Parts Supplier and which is only used in US built Toyota Vehicles.

Most Lexus's are built in Japan and use a Japanese part which is not badly made. Some of the RX350s are built in North America, but they use Japanese parts for consistency with Japanese built RXs so they are unaffected.

Also the GS and LS accelerator pedal designs are completely different from Toyota's and is bottom hinged. The top hinged design is only used in cheaper models, but since they are using an untainted Japanese part they are not affected.

This is why only Toyota's are recalled, and Lexus and Scion models are not.
Old 02-04-10, 10:19 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

BTW I think the Toyota bashing is getting out of control. I understand being diligent about getting Toyota to fix the mistake, but a lot of people are trying to make money out of this.

Especially the class action group suing for car payments. That is opportunism pure and simple, and I think those people should be treated like theives - put in gallows and stoned.

Plus the people who blow this out of proportion are hurting our resale values. If I was a money grabber I would launch a class action against LaHood for being overly zealous and causing depreciation loss as a consequence to me.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-04-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-04-10, 10:48 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can only speak for my own personal experience with my Camry SE V6 '07. It was full of problems. Last problem I had was the rupture oil line.

Last edited by worker; 02-04-10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-04-10, 11:10 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

It's a totally different design for the pedal on the GS...its not the type that hangs from the top like almost all Toyotas. I found it really hard to get used to when I first started driving the car...
Old 02-04-10, 02:11 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
BTW I think the Toyota bashing is getting out of control. I understand being diligent about getting Toyota to fix the mistake, but a lot of people are trying to make money out of this.

Especially the class action group suing for car payments. That is opportunism pure and simple, and I think those people should be treated like theives - put in gallows and stoned.

Plus the people who blow this out of proportion are hurting our resale values. If I was a money grabber I would launch a class action against LaHood for being overly zealous and causing depreciation loss as a consequence to me.

Well, conspiracy theory or not, LaHood does have a duty to make sure the cars are safe.

In terms of being educated, i won't claim to know enough about the electronics that LaHood wants to investigate but if that is an issue and can also be or actually be the cause of the acceleration issue, then hinge design won't matter nor does the manufacturer of the pedal (CTS or Denso). CTS did say it manufactured the higes to specs provided by Toyota. If it is really a faulty manufacturing rather than faulty design, then Toyota should sue CTS to clear their name. It would be interesting if they don't - perhaps CTS is too important for Toyota to go after....don't know.

I don't think all of this is bashing since this is one of the largest recalls ever with potentially deadly effects. All I'm saying is if it turns out to be more than a hinge issue, it's not inconceivable that more cars (whether US or Japanese manufactured) are affected. Hasn't there been some reports (although probably unsubstantiated) that cars made in japan (i.e., with VIN starting with J) has experienced acceleration issues.

Last edited by DWNYC; 02-04-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-04-10, 05:12 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Here is an article which expounds my concern about the government behaviour on this:

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnal...aspx?id=520091

Quick Reply: So, does this malfunctioning gas pedal system affect us or not?