GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mediocre GS Reviews - What is America Smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 08:11 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
It looks almost the same to me. I don't really hate it, but in my opinion the way the dash protrudes out is the part that fails.
Yes it doesn't protrude much when you see it in person. It's actually quite a smart design.
Old 02-06-10, 08:39 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
I take issue with your post. I personally hate all Audi interiors.
I used to think Audi interiors were ugly and non-luxury. I really couldn't understand why automotive magazines and other publications said they had top-notch materials and were luxurious. I also hated the red lights on the stereo and dash board.

This all changed for me with the 2010 Audi A6. While I still like my GS interior better, I do believe that A6 interior is now top-notch and is much better ergonomically. And the fugly dot-matrix displays are gone!

I was very close to buying an A6 3.0T a couple of months ago, but ended up buying another 2007 GS450h instead. Very happy I did. A6 would've been a downgrade in a few respects.
Old 02-06-10, 09:38 AM
enigmaos
Driver

perhaps the mag editors/reviewers get free cars from audi, bmw, and mb (for personal not for mags)?
Old 02-06-10, 07:57 PM
daudi81
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigmaos
perhaps the mag editors/reviewers get free cars from audi, bmw, and mb (for personal not for mags)?
Yea...maybe. There has to be some reason they are so biased towards BMW's despite their many flaws. Some of these reviews just contradict each-other, it's kind of funny to be honest.
Old 02-07-10, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
or maybe it's because the GS is good at everything, best at nothing.
Hmmm. Still best in quality. Seems in tests it gets the best MPG and is the fastest Automatic in acceleration.

The GS450h has no competition, it is the worlds only RWD luxury sport hybrid.

I am not going to say it is the best car in class or just beats the class in everything. However you are clearly selling it short.
Old 02-07-10, 09:02 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GS350 doesn't have a 'wow' factor. It's a predictable car with a boulevard ride. The RL's wow factor is its technology (including SH-AWD). The Infiniti M has a much sportier ride. The E350 is slow but like all German cars, their build quality is second to none (not to be confused with their mechanical quality...which is lacking). Same holds for BMW but Bimmer's have a more athletic ride then the E350.

The GS...its like a good pair of Levis.

A different concern for Lexus is Buick. My '07 GS350 cost $44,000 new. A comparably equipped 2010 Buick LaCrosse (including HID display) costs $37,500. When my lease expires in June, I'll be giving the LaCrosse serious consideration.
Old 02-07-10, 09:15 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bushwack
A different concern for Lexus is Buick. My '07 GS350 cost $44,000 new. A comparably equipped 2010 Buick LaCrosse (including HID display) costs $37,500. When my lease expires in June, I'll be giving the LaCrosse serious consideration.
The Buick is a front wheel drive car. If you are indifferent between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive, then you should definitely be driving a Buick or an ES350. The GS is more expensive because it is rear wheel drive. No point paying a premium for RWD if you don't value the difference. in fact there are a bunch of lower priced very nice FWD cars cheaper than the GS - Lincoln MKS, Acura TL, ES350, Volvo S80, and of even the New Taurus which has a very nice cabin and tech features.

I paid a premium for GS because of the handling benefits of RWD. No FWD car from any manufacturer can match that.
Old 02-07-10, 09:18 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

LaCrosse ....uhm OK.....that is not a GS competitor....that is an ES competitor. For you to cross shop the two means you dont care about the ride characteristics of the car and handling.
Old 02-07-10, 09:20 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Batman....we must have been replying at the same time....
Old 02-07-10, 09:20 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
LaCrosse ....uhm OK.....that is not a GS competitor....that is an ES competitor. For you to cross shop the two means you dont care about the ride characteristics of the car and handling.
We wrote the same thing at the same time!
Old 02-08-10, 09:04 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reviews donlt bother me. I also was not totally impressed
with bmw. My wife and I drove an 09 328i. It was nice but, I do prefer
sport LUXURY. I really did not look at any pre owned 5
series. BMW gets pricey with their options. Ilm happy with
our silky smooth ES350 and my sporty GS300.
Old 02-08-10, 10:12 AM
bs0dxi
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
I don't disagree with you. Your comment is about 2010s. The first part of my post was directed at the 2011 models which you probably haven't driven unless you are an automotive journalist. I saw the 2011 Infiniti M at a design event in Miami, and the 2011 BMW 5 in Detroit.

GS is certainly one of the best as far as cars you can go out and buy today. Pipped maybe by the E-class which is a brand new design.
batman, you are touting 2011 redesigned BMW's and Audi's against 2010 GS' which are largely unchanged. Thats not really fair. Have you seen the 2012 GS to be introduced next year? of course not...but rest assured it will be the one to beat.
Old 02-08-10, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bs0dxi
batman, you are touting 2011 redesigned BMW's and Audi's against 2010 GS' which are largely unchanged. Thats not really fair. Have you seen the 2012 GS to be introduced next year? of course not...but rest assured it will be the one to beat.
by that, do you mean unless two cars are released the same year / month, they can't be compared at all? i am not sure if i agree with that. all comparisons are valid as long as references are given. batman stated clearly it's compared against the newest out there.

it's just like if someone talked about interiors last year, people would say bmw and mb interiors were bad compared to lexus. well, i don't think those cars were released in 2006.

if anything, i think this only indicates just how much the lexus needs a change in the gs. the new e, 5, and m are all indications of how competitors have stepped up challenging lexus.
Old 02-08-10, 10:40 AM
bs0dxi
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
by that, do you mean unless two cars are released the same year / month, they can't be compared at all? i am not sure if i agree with that.
yes that's exactly what I mean...mainly because you cant compare something that has just be redesigned for 2011 to something that was introduced in 2006 (which should be noted there hasnt been any noticable refreshes in 3GS interior since its debut in '06).

I also understand why batman would attempt to compare the existing interior of the 3GS to the german cars but again, is that really fair? We all know that the redesigns are always better (most of the time)...so I would say wait for the 4GS then compare.
Old 02-08-10, 11:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bs0dxi
yes that's exactly what I mean...mainly because you cant compare something that has just be redesigned for 2011 to something that was introduced in 2006 (which should be noted there hasnt been any noticable refreshes in 3GS interior since its debut in '06).

I also understand why batman would attempt to compare the existing interior of the 3GS to the german cars but again, is that really fair? We all know that the redesigns are always better (most of the time)...so I would say wait for the 4GS then compare.
so again, that means there should never be any comparisons between the e, 5, m, gs, a6? i don't think any of them are released together

previous e class came out in 2003
previous (current) 5 series came out in 2004

when the 3gs came out as 2006, and i saw comparison of that to both the e and 5, i didn't see anyone complaining saying that the e and 5 were "old" already. all manufacturers have products come out one after another, with your analogy then there isn't really a right time to compare, and there is never fair.

redesign doesn't always mean better, i have seen plenty of failed cases left and right. of course i am not saying lexus will fail, i always like and prefer lexus interior to competitors. however, i would not take away fact that with the new redesigns coming out, lexus is under a lot of pressure to step up with their designs.

Quick Reply: Mediocre GS Reviews - What is America Smoking?