GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mediocre GS Reviews - What is America Smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 12:01 PM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2009 BMW 335i and 3GS. I drive 3GS almost 90% of the time because it has fun, luxury, and comfort factors. There are huge differences in how the interior was put together for comfort and luxury between the two. Hyundai’s Genesis interior is better than BMW and it is about $20000 less. BMW interior is down right ugly! I leased 335i with fully loaded options. $52000 sticker shock then followed by the salesman’s persuasion that I can hit the corners at any speed. Ha ha, I was stupid!
Whenever I drive 335i for a day I need to go back to 3GS. That just it, which car is better in our normal day to day life.
With 335i, I can dust most of the cars on the road but who cares. I made a mistake leasing 335i. I will keep my 3GS and lease a nice Hyundai convertible next time if they have one :-)
Old 02-08-10, 12:08 PM
bs0dxi
Driver

Yes, true, all car companies have their own redesign cycles and they dont release them at the same time. that being said, it should be noted that the timing of the release affects one's perception. Old versus new, and the new being favored/adopted.

However you must also take into consideration the aspect of time. Time equals progress. Also take into consideration of design trends. The inside cabin is increasingly becoming more futuristic and more accessible. Compare the interior of an '09 RX 350 vs. an '10 RX350 - no doubt the '10 will get more love. Simply because it's newer and different.

3GS, 5 series, and E-class all belong in the same segment, so yes, we can compare them, but I feel it's more (again) fair if the current models are used. My point is, I would make a better judgement and arrive at a more reasonable decision on which interior is better if I were able to see the 4GS' interior. 3GS, 5 series, and E-class were redesigned at different times doesnt mean much - they all conformed to that particular period's (early to mid 2000's) design, engineering, and look. the next decade's engineering and design of cars will be boldly different.

Last edited by bs0dxi; 02-08-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 04:32 PM
hughh
Pole Position

lexlovgs - He, he...I know what you're talking about! We picked-up a 04 BMW 330i in Munich. Since we are retired, that was our only car. My wife kept complaining about her butt going one way and her head the the way at EVERY curve and every turn. That's what Bimmers do to most drivers, make them feel like they can take every turn and every curve at insane speeds. They make the driver feel like a F1 driver and I loved that feeling and that car. Even in traffic, it was comfortable and even 'tho the interior design is nothing to brag about, you can still revel in the quality of materials and workmanship.

My wife got fed up with my driving that Bimmer and pulled my F1 wannabe drivers license. She wanted a comfy car and you know what I wanted! Our solution was a '07 350 GS. From the beginning I was not happy. The car's steering, handling, ride and straight line stability on the open road in cross winds plus the small amount of wind noise at 80+mph on windy days...geez! My wife liked it better than the Bimmer. The steering was lighter and it made me slow down at every turn and curve...her butt and head stayed planted.

This past Saturday we took the car in after the 3 yr. lease was over. We got a ES 350 and NOW we are both happy. This IS what you expect a Lexus to be, LUXURY! I had the car on the hwy yesterday at 80+ mph and the car's straight line stability felt more reassuring than the 350 GS. The ride was plusher and handled the expansion jolts without the harshness from the rear suspension and noise of the 350 GS.

You like the GS 350 GS better than the Bimmer, then you don't deserve to have a F1 drivers license (just kidding). Enjoy your ride, it's not a bad one at all!
Old 02-09-10, 09:07 AM
G2GS
Pole Position

I have in front of me the MT February issue. They compare the following cars.Infiniti M35 S, Acura RL, Lexus GS 350, Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI, Jaguar XF 4.2, Mercedes E350, Audi A6 3.0T Quattro and BMW 535I.
The above represents the order in which they finished, with the Infiniti being last and the BMW being first.
Now, here are some selected quotes from the article.
Lexus GS 350: "The Lexus GS 350 is a specs-checkers dream, strong sophisticated V-6, solid engine and chassis performance, class leading EPA fuel efficiency, highly competitive window sticker." That is the first paragraph!
" As a rolling living room - and a superbly crafted one at that -the Lexus is tough to outclass."
" You always feel in control in this one"
"your still well under the price of the less-richly equipped BMW"

Now for the winner, the BMW 535I
" At almost $58K as tested the BMW demands the second biggest wallet hit in the group, and even at that price it's awfully austere inside."
" The tally does not include say, a back up camera or even navigation"
" the cabin itself could use some dress-up".
After raving about the engine and driving experience, (because there is nothing else) we get to...
"and tied the Lexus quarter mile elapsed time"
"also tied the Lexus for best observed fuel efficiency"

Now I know this magazine has been drinking the BMW Koolaide for way too long, so they base the BMW win on " driving bliss".

If I had $50,000 to spend on a car for driving bliss, it sure wouldn't be a four door sedan.
Old 02-09-10, 12:43 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daudi81
I just got my 2006 GS430 a couple weeks ago, after hours and days of test driving pretty muh everything out there in the class (RL, Infiniti M, 5 series (and 3), A6 (and 4), CTS, Jaguar, even lexus's own IS350. Most were new, some were 08 - the GS430 is a 2006 with 34k miles.

Although there were a few close onse, the GS beat pretty much everything out there in every aspect. Some cars were a little more "fun" to drive (IS350 and 3 series, maybe 5 series), but 99% of the time I wouldn't be able to drive in a style that would take advantage of their perks over the GS. And the negatives of those cars FAR outweighed the fact they might be slightly faster or handle slightly better.

I go online, and buy a few car review magazines and look at reviews and I am shocked at what I find. Most reviews of the GS are pretty mediocre, even when they are pitted against the very same cars I test drove extensively. "This can't be right" I'm thinking.

Then I dive into the reasons and I'm even more shocked. All these reviews care about are things 99% of American drivers don't notice, and will never have the chance, nor the skill to put to the test. They ranked the 5 series above the GS because it has like .02g of more grip and .01 seconds faster 0-60 and .5 seconds faster on some track in California - to say nothing of their FOOGLY interior, cheap plastics, uncomfortable seats, and horrible reliability ratings (things I actually care about). I guess .02g of grip is a huge deal when I run to my parents house for dinner, or go get a gallon of milk for the wife at 6pm. *sigh*

And that's how most of these reviews are. They take it on a track and test all the numbers and pit them up against eachother. Who in the world takes their $50k+ luxury sedan to the track? I want a review that takes refinement, smoothness, quality of materials, reliability, mpg, styling (exterior and interior), visibility, if you can hear your wife talking to you at 80mph on the highway. Things most people care about (or should care about). Not Mario Andretti.

My 5hp lawnmower engine equpped go-cart in my garage has better handling than the 5series BMW, does that mean they will rate it higher?

I'm glad I didn't go out and blindly buy a car off these reviews, or I'd be a seriously unhappy car-owner.

That's a fair assessment. I have no complaints about the interior of the 3GS. The exterior is understated and blends in with a lot of other cars - probably a good thing.
Old 02-09-10, 12:58 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G2GS
I have in front of me the MT February issue. They compare the following cars.Infiniti M35 S, Acura RL, Lexus GS 350, Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI, Jaguar XF 4.2, Mercedes E350, Audi A6 3.0T Quattro and BMW 535I.
The above represents the order in which they finished, with the Infiniti being last and the BMW being first.
Now, here are some selected quotes from the article.
Lexus GS 350: "The Lexus GS 350 is a specs-checkers dream, strong sophisticated V-6, solid engine and chassis performance, class leading EPA fuel efficiency, highly competitive window sticker." That is the first paragraph!
" As a rolling living room - and a superbly crafted one at that -the Lexus is tough to outclass."
" You always feel in control in this one"
"your still well under the price of the less-richly equipped BMW"

Now for the winner, the BMW 535I
" At almost $58K as tested the BMW demands the second biggest wallet hit in the group, and even at that price it's awfully austere inside."
" The tally does not include say, a back up camera or even navigation"
" the cabin itself could use some dress-up".
After raving about the engine and driving experience, (because there is nothing else) we get to...
"and tied the Lexus quarter mile elapsed time"
"also tied the Lexus for best observed fuel efficiency"

Now I know this magazine has been drinking the BMW Koolaide for way too long, so they base the BMW win on " driving bliss".

If I had $50,000 to spend on a car for driving bliss, it sure wouldn't be a four door sedan.
That's some serious Kool-aid right there.

That's like a restaurant-bashing review that gives four out of five stars or vice versa.
Old 02-09-10, 01:33 PM
hughh
Pole Position

And that's how most of these reviews are. They take it on a track and test all the numbers and pit them up against eachother. Who in the world takes their $50k+ luxury sedan to the track? I want a review that takes refinement, smoothness, quality of materials, reliability, mpg, styling (exterior and interior), visibility, if you can hear your wife talking to you at 80mph on the highway. Things most people care about (or should care about). Not Mario Andretti.>>>

That's the whole point. My brother takes his V8 Audi A6 Quattro to the track where he meets with other enthusiasts driving all kinds of cars, including lots of BMW. They have a blast and all is well.

In my days 1970 I used to take my then new Alfa Romeo GTV racing for stock sports cars near Pensacola, Florida. Those days are gone and so is the 07 GS 350. The 2010 ES 350 offers all of the things you mentioned and does it much better than the GS 350.