GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Driver side mirror not going up or down?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 09:28 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side mirror not going up or down?

My passenger mirror works fine. The driver side mirror can move left and right but not up and down. I know changing the mirror would solve the problem, but is there any DIY to fix this? Even if I could somehow lodge the mirror in the position I want would work since I'm the only one that drives it.
Old 02-05-10, 10:34 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

no, you most likely grinded a gear... and the gears are plastic... what I would do, is source down a shop or something, to see if they can replicate that broken gear in a metal version, at least that's what i'm going to do when mine's breaks
Old 02-05-10, 10:45 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im having the problem with my driver side mirror not going up
Old 02-05-10, 10:53 PM
dmjay
Rookie

if you have warranty still, take it to the dealer
Old 02-06-10, 08:17 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
no, you most likely grinded a gear... and the gears are plastic... what I would do, is source down a shop or something, to see if they can replicate that broken gear in a metal version, at least that's what i'm going to do when mine's breaks
i think this will be more trouble than its worth.....new used one of ebay for me when its time.....I should never need it since my mirrors dont fold up or down, in or out and I rarely adjust them for this exact purpose
Old 02-06-10, 10:29 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

anything moving will eventually "die".
Old 02-06-10, 11:25 AM
enigmaos
Driver

"wear and tear", but for $50k cars, it should have been made with a better material to prevent premature wear.
Old 02-06-10, 12:41 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I turned off my auto-tilt reverse feature after already having both mirrors replaced once under warranty. Now I only turn it on when I parallel park on streets with curbs which is only a few times a month... same thing with the fold in mirrors; though i don't think anyone's had problems with that gear yet.
Old 02-06-10, 12:50 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arantant
Yeah, I turned off my auto-tilt reverse feature after already having both mirrors replaced once under warranty. Now I only turn it on when I parallel park on streets with curbs which is only a few times a month... same thing with the fold in mirrors; though i don't think anyone's had problems with that gear yet.
^^^^1, that's the first thing I do with all my Lexus, the auto-tilt feature will wear out the gears fast
Old 02-06-10, 02:00 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

or maybe install one of those round mirrors? no movements.
Old 02-07-10, 07:05 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arantant

WWWWWHHHHHHAAAATTTT!!!!! I did not know I could just do that how can i turn it off?
Old 02-07-10, 08:05 PM
JRandall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
WWWWWHHHHHHAAAATTTT!!!!! I did not know I could just do that how can i turn it off?
Open the drop down with the mirror adjustment buttons. Press the L or R side of the mirror adjustment that is currently light. Now neither side of the button should be lit, and the mirrors will not adjust when the vehicle is in reverse.
Old 02-08-10, 08:32 AM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

jezz no wonder like 4 months ago I couldnt figure out why they would not tilt lol thanks. It was like -30C out side yesterday abd i didnt want to go into my car to get the manual
Old 02-08-10, 08:35 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by enigmaos
"wear and tear", but for $50k cars, it should have been made with a better material to prevent premature wear.
doesnt matter, its cheaper to make out of plastic so thats what they do. we have a 60k printer at work and all the gears are plastic too and they always break.
Old 02-08-10, 12:27 PM
lexlovgs
Driver School Candidate

I had a same issue. My passenger side mirror does not go up and down. I performed mirrors and windows reset procedure and it started working fine.
I forget how to reset but search the forum, you will find it. try this before you spend money to get a new one. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Driver side mirror not going up or down?