GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dashboard Creaking.. Out of Warranty. NO Goodwill either. What should i do ? ANY HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 10:07 AM
RydinRuff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it actually doesnt make me feel better when the bmw making dashboard noises is from 1988-1995 lol

Originally Posted by dadoody
You'll probably have to look it up.

Logically, we know it can be fixed. We just will have to do our own troubleshooting and care if we want the best outcome.

If it makes you feel any better, other luxury cars might go through the same issues:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=935954
Old 02-09-10, 10:50 AM
HomieG
Driver

How did the OP purchase the extended warranty if the vehicle was out of the manufacturers warranty period?
Old 02-09-10, 11:09 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue on my '06 GS430...drove me crazy

Good luck with finding a fix. Maybe try another dealership for service? A good SA might be able to cover the repair under warranty.
Old 02-09-10, 03:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RydinRuff
it actually doesnt make me feel better when the bmw making dashboard noises is from 1988-1995 lol

old bmws might rattle.

new 3 series might rattle.

but newer 5 series are solid. interiors built like a tank.
Old 02-09-10, 04:39 PM
sum10ne
Driver School Candidate

Yup, I can attest to that. I had a 2007 530 and it was solid. Disappointed with both the handling and noises coming from within the GS. Don't think I'll be buying a GS again anytime soon....but will enjoy it while I have it.
Old 02-10-10, 06:13 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As someone who's looking to purchase a used '06 GS300 in the next couple of months - are ALL 06 models affected?

Does the problem only plague a particular VIN range?

Or would I be better off only considering a vehicle manufacturerd after a certain date?

Or does pretty much EVERY 2006 GS have this issue and it's a matter of if it was fixed or not?

Thanks in advance....
Old 02-10-10, 02:50 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I've heard of 06-08s being affected. Don't know about 09+
Old 02-10-10, 03:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
old bmws might rattle.

new 3 series might rattle.

but newer 5 series are solid. interiors built like a tank.
give it time, it'll soon rattle like our GS
Old 02-10-10, 10:53 PM
RydinRuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stormforge
give it time, it'll soon rattle like our GS
I agree. Let it drive for 80k miles and i bet the dash will start being noisy. But this is ridiculous for a GS. It may not be Lexus' flagship model but I'm pretty sure a fully FULLY loaded one like mine was pushing $60k.

In response to another member, I purchased the car from the original owner who already had extended warranty. He managed to transfer it to my name.
Im ecstatic about that! Lexus PLATINUM extended warranty until 2013
Old 02-11-10, 11:46 AM
I95Warrior
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure I would resort to paying the 8 hours of labor. Could turn out to be a waste of your money.

I bought my '06 GS300 12/28/05 in Massachusetts. My first complaint came 1 month later, but I attributed it to having had them add Satellite radio after market, which I was convinced caused the rattles.

The dealer added foam for the first fix and that worked well as we just came into spring. Next winter same problem. They added more foam. This time it worked for 1 month.

Brought the car back and took the loaner. Told them to call me when they 100% fixed it. I had the loaner for 2.5 weeks. They completely replaced the dashboard (which I confirmed by having made a notch in the old one). Even though it was still under warranty the fought the good fight but lost.

Long story short, the fix lasted maybe 1 year. Today I live with the squeaks mostly in the winter and turn up the music.

That said....... I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!! and that is no lie.
Old 02-11-10, 12:52 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Try putting a soft, thick, eraser between the windshield and the dashboard. If it works, put black electrical tape around it and push it as far in as it can go. Barely visible and requires no dashboard autopsy...kept me happy for about a month and a half before they fixed it at the dealership.
did you have this done at regency lexus? how many days did it take to get it fixed?
Old 02-11-10, 03:35 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
did you have this done at regency lexus? how many days did it take to get it fixed?
Yes, had it done last year. Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up on the way from work. Didn't take long at all. They didn't align my stereo properly though, so I had to go back to get them to fix that...otherwise, they did a great job and there was no visible damage/misalignment other than that.
Old 02-11-10, 03:39 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Yes, had it done last year. Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up on the way from work. Didn't take long at all. They didn't align my stereo properly though, so I had to go back to get them to fix that...otherwise, they did a great job and there was no visible damage/misalignment other than that.
I wonder how it could possibly not be aligned. It's on rails, all you do is push it in as far as it will go and put the bolts back in (which will only go in if it's lined up exactly with the hole on the rails).
Old 02-11-10, 05:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I95Warrior
Long story short, the fix lasted maybe 1 year. Today I live with the squeaks mostly in the winter and turn up the music.

That said....... I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!! and that is no lie.

sucks for you guys in the east coast.

maybe they'll cold weather-test the 4GS better.

you always see the germans bring their test mules to the coldest places on earth. But I've never seen the japanese do it. Lexus and infiniti are plagued with rattles.
Old 02-11-10, 05:58 PM
R.DUB
Driver

never heard a sound from my 2GS but can hear everything in my 3GS... Never notived on the test drive but hear it over every bump now. Still love my car, though!

Quick Reply: Dashboard Creaking.. Out of Warranty. NO Goodwill either. What should i do ? ANY HELP