GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need Smooth Riding All Season Tires for my AWD GS350.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 01:28 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got RWD and not AWD, so take this for what it's worth...

I'm in UT with a 2GS430 shod with Bridgestone RE960AS. It's not uncommon to hear that all-season tires don't excel at anything. For the few times a year (<5) that I have to drive in snow on unplowed streets, my RWD w/Bridegestone 960AS is a real white knuckle drive. Every other day of the year, they're every bit the highly rated tire you'll read about. The snow performance is poor, but a lot it I attribute to my RWD. Either I need a set of dedicated snow tires or keep the GS parked on the worst days.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=
Old 02-13-10, 03:04 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
My GS350 is a rough riding vehicle, even though I put on All Season Michellin's at the beginning.

I am probably going to need tires this year and was wondering what the recommendations are for the smoothest riding All Season Tires would be with decent treadwear?
did you replace the dunlop runflats?
I heard bridgestone Turanza Serenty were the best in that regard:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ranza+Serenity

i might get a set when my General UHP's wear out. They are ok for ride, but I think a bit noisy ...
Old 02-13-10, 08:02 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HomieG
Why does this matter? The requirements were all-season.

So if your point is that you're in Minneapolis, what's your question?

If you want better winter performance, don't ask about all-season tires! No all-season tire is going to give that much better snow/ice performance than a good winter/snow tire. There's a compromise in performance if one wants all-season tires.

Thanks for your very helpful response!
Old 02-13-10, 09:47 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut-throat,

What Michelin tire do you specifically have? You didn't mention it. Do you have 18inch or 17 inch rims? Did you check out the tires on www.tirerack.com yet? I like my Primacy MXV4 all season on my GS and i like the Michelin Exaltos A/S on my BMW 335xi coupe. Both very very smooth and solid tires.
Old 02-14-10, 06:34 AM
HomieG
Driver

Thanks for your very helpful response!
Sorry you're confused. Glad to have helped. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 02-14-10, 05:20 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HomieG
Why does this matter? The requirements were all-season.

So if your point is that you're in Minneapolis, what's your question?

If you want better winter performance, don't ask about all-season tires! No all-season tire is going to give that much better snow/ice performance than a good winter/snow tire. There's a compromise in performance if one wants all-season tires.
I want an All Season Tire - I don't really care about snow performance, because I know how to drive in it.

Actually your first response answered my question exactly. - I was only following up asking where you lived for a perspective on your driving. I really, really want an All season Tire. I have them now and live in Minneapolis. They are fine in snow. But I think the GS is a rough riding vehicle and was wondering if there were any all season tires that would smooth out the GS rough ride.

A perspective on snow is important, as an example Atlanta closed their airport with 4 inches of snow. Minneapolis Airport may close a couple runways with 20 inches of snow. So if you lived in Snow Country, your post would have more credibility, than if you lived in Atlanta.

BTW - If you really want to be incognito - You could just say Somewhere on 'Planet Earth"
Old 02-15-10, 06:14 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Cut-throat,

What Michelin tire do you specifically have? You didn't mention it. Do you have 18inch or 17 inch rims? Did you check out the tires on www.tirerack.com yet? I like my Primacy MXV4 all season on my GS and i like the Michelin Exaltos A/S on my BMW 335xi coupe. Both very very smooth and solid tires.
I have Michelin Energy MXV4 S8s --- They did seem to be a bit better when I first got them. But now, I have 43,000 Miles on them and they seem pretty harsh and rough riding now. Maybe I just need new tires?? I have 17 inch rims and am completely satisfied with the All Season performance of this tire. Great in the Snow etc. --- Now that I am talking out loud here, maybe just new tires would solve the rough riding aspect?? I did buy these at Tire Rack, when I first got the car and removed the Run Flats.
Old 02-17-10, 03:15 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Michelin Energy MXV4 S8s --- They did seem to be a bit better when I first got them. But now, I have 43,000 Miles on them and they seem pretty harsh and rough riding now. Maybe I just need new tires?? I have 17 inch rims and am completely satisfied with the All Season performance of this tire. Great in the Snow etc. --- Now that I am talking out loud here, maybe just new tires would solve the rough riding aspect?? I did buy these at Tire Rack, when I first got the car and removed the Run Flats.
Same here. When my tires reach the end of their use, they become harsh and nosiy and bad. I just replace them with new sets. If those tires where good, then get them again. BTW, I put a bit less PSI on my Michelins to 32 or 32 PSI since they are stiffer tires but not by that much though. Michelins are the best you can have out there.
Old 02-17-10, 04:44 PM
sherwoodgs
Driver School Candidate

i had toyo proxies on my AWD 07 IS250 and i absolutely loved them. they were great performers on the dry, wet and snow (as good as any tire is in the snow....). they also came with a warranty and were good for more miles than the potenzas that were OEM. i will get them got my GS as soon as the dunlops 5000's are done.
Old 02-17-10, 06:11 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I've got RWD and not AWD, so take this for what it's worth...

For the few times a year (<5) that I have to drive in snow on unplowed streets, my RWD w/Bridegestone 960AS is a real white knuckle drive. Every other day of the year, they're every bit the highly rated tire you'll read about. The snow performance is poor, but a lot it I attribute to my RWD. Either I need a set of dedicated snow tires or keep the GS parked on the worst days.
Yup, it's your RWD. My last GS300 was RWD and even though I had Michelin All Seasons tires, the car was basically a sled in the snow. My AWD with All season Tires is very confident in snow. Even my Wife's FWD ES300 is great in snow! - RWD is the pits. It help to put about 200 lbs. in the trunk for some traction though.
Old 02-21-10, 03:31 PM
typeamit
Driver School Candidate

Default Location

NYC Metro Area
Old 02-21-10, 03:33 PM
typeamit
Driver School Candidate

Where are you located? --IOW how much snow and ice do you run into?
NYC Metro, 2-5 inches usually about 2-5 times a year
Old 02-21-10, 05:14 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Just had Continental ExtremeContact DWS installed yesterday to replace Bridgestone runflat crap. What a difference! It's like I just bought a completely new smooth-riding car!
Old 02-21-10, 05:28 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Modeler
Just had Continental ExtremeContact DWS installed yesterday to replace Bridgestone runflat crap. What a difference! It's like I just bought a completely new smooth-riding car!
That's what I'm looking for ! -- I think I may have to check these out!
Old 02-21-10, 06:41 PM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Continental ExtremeContact DWS are on national backorder until May in most sizes, you may still be able to find a set locally.

Quick Reply: Need Smooth Riding All Season Tires for my AWD GS350.......