GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need Smooth Riding All Season Tires for my AWD GS350.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 07:54 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See, TireRack called me to say they had them backordered until March 19th, then next day they ship me my set of 4. Weird!
Old 02-21-10, 09:25 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I have the Michelin Pilot All-Season Plus tires.......they are amazing.....I love them!!!!!!
Old 02-22-10, 04:49 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StrannikMD
Continental ExtremeContact DWS are on national backorder until May in most sizes, you may still be able to find a set locally.
I don't think so. I just went to the tirerack website and they were offering to ship them NOW in the Std. Lexus GS350 size - 225/50/17
Old 02-22-10, 05:26 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kyang91
I have the Michelin Pilot All-Season Plus tires.......they are amazing.....I love them!!!!!!
Which do you think would be the smoother, quieter tire; the Michelin Pilot All-Season Plus or the Continental ExtremeContact DWS ?
Old 02-22-10, 06:42 PM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I don't think so. I just went to the tirerack website and they were offering to ship them NOW in the Std. Lexus GS350 size - 225/50/17
Strange, still shows as back order for me for the past 2 weeks on Tirerack in that size.

The info about back order came from my tire shop - when I couldn't get them from Tirerack or Discount Tire, I called my installer, and he got the word from Continental rep.

Last edited by StrannikMD; 02-22-10 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 07:07 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

The info about back order came from my tire shop - when I couldn't get them from Tirerack or Discount Tire, I called my installer, and he got the word from Continental rep.
It's not surprising these are so popular. That's a give-away price for the tire that has been claimed to be very good. Now, I don't know how much of the hype and positive reviews was created through clever marketing and potential tricks by Continental. I guess we will see how well this tire performs in the long run. So far it's been fantastic. We've had rain all day today, and I drove the car really hard into turns. No slippage at the speeds that I dared not exceed.
Old 02-23-10, 05:39 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Strange, still shows as back order for me for the past 2 weeks on Tirerack in that size.

Yes, mine did the same thing, but if you continue to calculate shipping charges, they indicate that they are not in a local warehouse. They go on to list about 6 other locations where they could ship from with associated shipping charges for 2 day, 3 day etc. - So, I am not sure if they have them or not.

Edit Update: - They are truly Backordered....... and not available at this time.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 02-24-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 05:17 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gkline
I put a set of Bridgstone Turanzas on my '06 GS300, and I've been very happy with them so far.
I think you have the correct answer after talking to a Tire Rack Consultant this afternoon. He said that the Bridgestone Serenity's would be the smoothest riding All Season tire at this time for the GS350!
Old 02-24-10, 06:49 PM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Please let us know how they feel, driving right after installation - the first ride is the best time to tell the difference between the old and new tires in great detail.
Old 02-25-10, 06:28 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I think you have the correct answer after talking to a Tire Rack Consultant this afternoon. He said that the Bridgestone Serenity's would be the smoothest riding All Season tire at this time for the GS350!
They most likely are the smoothest riding tire, but overwhelming majority of GS owners would not put Grand Touring tires on their sporty sedan. Plus at $251 per tire they are TWICE as expensive than what I just paid for Continental DWS. The DWS is a VERY VERY smooth running a pretty quiet tire. But it is also a great handling tire.

So in my book, the only thing that goes for Serenity is its quietness, but the cons are many (compared to DWS): very high price, poor snow traction, poor (compared to Ultra High Performanc) handling capabilities, shorter treadwear warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're happy with your choice of the tire, but I would bet most people on this board would consider this choice to be quite unorthodox. We all value reduced tire noise and smooth ride, but it is only one out of several variables...
Old 02-25-10, 06:37 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Modeler
They most likely are the smoothest riding tire, but overwhelming majority of GS owners would not put Grand Touring tires on their sporty sedan. Plus at $251 per tire they are TWICE as expensive than what I just paid for Continental DWS. The DWS is a VERY VERY smooth running a pretty quiet tire. But it is also a great handling tire.

So in my book, the only thing that goes for Serenity is its quietness, but the cons are many (compared to DWS): very high price, poor snow traction, poor (compared to Ultra High Performanc) handling capabilities, shorter treadwear warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're happy with your choice of the tire, but I would bet most people on this board would consider this choice to be quite unorthodox. We all value reduced tire noise and smooth ride, but it is only one out of several variables...
BTW- I only paid $154 for the Serenity.

There were a few others here that recommended the Bridgestone Serenity as well. Lots of folks here 'Lower' their car, I think that is ridiculous as well. To each his own.

And considering that the car was sold with Run-Flats, I'm not sure what Lexus had in mind for this car. If I wanted a sports car, I'd buy an Acura NSX. But, I don't want one.
Old 02-25-10, 08:01 AM
HomieG
Driver

So many of these posts are indicative of the marketing of tires by their manufacturers...unfortunately we ourselves rarely have the ability to compare different brands of tires at even close to the same time on our vehicles. Tires, like oil, coolant, batteries and other similar items, are judged differently by everyone. So often what feels like a smooth and quiet tire to one person, feels opposite to another. Then there's the placebo affect of marketing...but I won't get into that here. Anyways, just my 2 cents...
Old 02-25-10, 08:34 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

BTW- I only paid $154 for the Serenity.
That's a great deal, congratulations.