GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

i can't bear to put miles on my GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 09:50 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gsexy300
hm, that's another good way to think about it. Blow people away with how new it looks for an 06 tHEN tell 'em 'and it's got 65K'. I might have to adopt that approach. I honestly don't have a long commute and I dont really have a good excuse to drive a lot. I get kind of tired after a couple hours anyway, not like when i was 28, and good go for hours....

gettin' old, probably time for an LS!

I didn't know there was an age requirement for the GS and LS. I hope I'm not to old to be driving the GS (LOL) just kidding. Hey I love the LS as well and if I could afford it and afford to mod it I would. It's a very classy looking car but love my GS and I'm in my early to mid forties. When I do sales calls out of town (which are few) I love to take my car instead of a company car (company pays for the gas).

Last edited by 1STLXS; 02-14-10 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-14-10, 09:57 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim
The GS is such a comfortable car to drive...I LOVE it and I drive mine ALL the time. LS is a NICE car...I wanted to get one too, but apparently I'm too "young" for an LS.
I wish Lexus would make a car that looks like the GS with the isolation level of the LS! I guess they'd have a market of ONE for that design: ME. Haha
Old 02-14-10, 10:18 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've owned my GS for 4 months and I've put around 900 miles on it. And that included the busy traveling christmas season. :P I drive it whenever I need to drive, I am not specifically trying to save it. I work from a home office, so I have no commute. My fiancee prefers to take public transit to work (it's cheaper and faster). She will take the car when she knows she will need to stay particularly late or go to work particularly early. We do the grocery shopping with the car, various chores, visiting friends and family etc.

So I bought a car with around 50,000 miles on it on purpose, because I know that I would be throwing money away otherwise. The warranty will probably still expire from age before mileage. I really don't care about how many miles the thing has on it, it just happens that my life right now basically promotes having my cars last as long as I care for them to last. Unless I start commuting very far at some point in the future, I figure this car will last forever and hell my yet to be born children might end up driving it. :P
Old 02-14-10, 11:07 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I've owned my GS for 4 months and I've put around 900 miles on it. And that included the busy traveling christmas season. :P I drive it whenever I need to drive, I am not specifically trying to save it. I work from a home office, so I have no commute. My fiancee prefers to take public transit to work (it's cheaper and faster). She will take the car when she knows she will need to stay particularly late or go to work particularly early. We do the grocery shopping with the car, various chores, visiting friends and family etc.

So I bought a car with around 50,000 miles on it on purpose, because I know that I would be throwing money away otherwise. The warranty will probably still expire from age before mileage. I really don't care about how many miles the thing has on it, it just happens that my life right now basically promotes having my cars last as long as I care for them to last. Unless I start commuting very far at some point in the future, I figure this car will last forever and hell my yet to be born children might end up driving it. :P
yep i am in it for the long haul, most likely. i bet at my ancient age of 43 that i could drive this car for the rest of my life. Then droppping $35000 in 2008 and not having to buy another car again EVER might look like an ok financial proposition.
Old 02-14-10, 11:09 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ that would be awesome. gl with that. stay on top of the maintenance and keep the miles low
Old 02-14-10, 11:18 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
^^ that would be awesome. gl with that. stay on top of the maintenance and keep the miles low
Ty! Imagine us in 20 years, still posting here, with our 25 year old 3GS...
"Say, I've got this funny noise from the glovebox at 328,000 miles... anyone know what it could be?"

or
"My GS 350 saved my life! Fastest drive to ER ever kept me alive after my heart attack!"

I wonder how fast my GS will be in 20 years, will the engine still make 250 hp? Will there still even be 92 octane gas to fill it up with? hmmmm
Old 02-14-10, 11:27 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Why bother, you still see people with 2GS babying their cars with no mileage on them and they aren't worth much regardless, and you have the guys driving their 2GS with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and they are all in the same boat with neither having cars that are worth drastically different amounts of money. One of the whole points of buying a Lexus instead of a MB or BMW is that you can just drive it and not have to sweat over every mile you put on the thing. If I was driving a BMW worth 40-50K I would be far more inclined to not want to rack up mileage on the thing in fear of "wearing it out".
Old 02-14-10, 12:16 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow 32k thats it? damn I mine is 06 and I have 180,xxx. I drive it like I stole it, jk lol. But it's my daily year round car.I'll put clicks on any car no matter if its Ferrari,Yaris,Hummer. IMO you dont pay for a car to sit in the garage and hide from snow and rain like some people I know up here.
Old 02-14-10, 02:41 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

71K happy miles on my 06. cringe away.
Old 02-14-10, 04:05 PM
R.DUB
Driver

One of the best things about our cars is that they are so reliable even with high miles! My gs400 had 155k miles on it when I traded and I got tons of compliments on how new it looked and how great it rode/drove with the high miles.

Drive your car and enjoy it. Go for a drive now. Really.
Old 02-14-10, 04:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The more miles you put on it the lower your cost per mile.

I drive mine as much as I can, and I still regret I cannot drive it more. I even shipped it so I could have drive it during the 3 week vacation at Christmas. But with my career I am only in my home town 10 days a month so I don't have the opportunity: I have only accumulated 5000 miles in 9 months of ownership

Having low mileage sucks. Your car still depreciates the same as people putting on 12k a year and I don't get to enjoy it as often. I would love to drive my GS every day.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-14-10 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 09:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I say enjoy your car and dont sweat the mileage. Thats one of the reasons people buy these types of cars
Old 02-14-10, 10:44 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with having fun to drive your car and don't sweat on the mileage.

That said, my current odo has 13,400 miles and I owned my GS for 4+ years. Why? 1.2 miles from home to work. I don't get to drive too much on weekends either because we use the SUV for the family stuff.

Oh well, each of us has different backgroound and the use of GS. I enjoy every moment of driving my GS.
Old 02-14-10, 11:07 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Why bother, you still see people with 2GS babying their cars with no mileage on them and they aren't worth much regardless, and you have the guys driving their 2GS with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and they are all in the same boat with neither having cars that are worth drastically different amounts of money. One of the whole points of buying a Lexus instead of a MB or BMW is that you can just drive it and not have to sweat over every mile you put on the thing. If I was driving a BMW worth 40-50K I would be far more inclined to not want to rack up mileage on the thing in fear of "wearing it out".

I do agree that with these types of cars, we dont have to worry about the thing wearing out, but how long do you plan on keeping your car? The OP is in it for the long haul hoping to keep his car and not plan on buying another car. He made a $35k investment in 2008. From a financial standpoint, that's hell of a lot of savings if he does not have to buy another
Old 02-15-10, 07:27 AM
stefanati
Rookie

Originally Posted by memasterac
I agree with having fun to drive your car and don't sweat on the mileage.

That said, my current odo has 13,400 miles and I owned my GS for 4+ years. Why? 1.2 miles from home to work. I don't get to drive too much on weekends either because we use the SUV for the family stuff.

Oh well, each of us has different backgroound and the use of GS. I enjoy every moment of driving my GS.
1,2 miles from work?? You don't even have time to warm up your engine!!!

I drive a lot as clients don't come to me, but I visit them usually, but after driving all day, I often go out for a drive at night when traffic is low, so that I can enjoy only cruising.... I just love to drive my car and also don't care about mileage!!!

Quick Reply: i can't bear to put miles on my GS