GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vais VML Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 09:41 AM
98OysterES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vais VML Mounting Location

For those of you that have the VAIS VML ... where did you mount the MultiMedia Linq control box. I have a 2007 GS350, and I am trying to find a good mounting location for the unit ... just wanted ot see where other have put it.

Thanks,
Antonio
Old 02-14-10, 11:32 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think because of the size of the thing, I think the only good spot is the glovebox which makes things a bit more of a hassle. When I was shopping for a USB MP3 solution, I really hated the fact that they only offered them with the useless internal hdd bay. Honestly, having your music on a bunch of very cheap USB sticks is both more convenient and cheaper. The method that you need to employ to load the internal HDD of the VML is also really cumbersome.

For less than half the price you can get a GROM USB unit, which is very small and it fits right inside of the center console (that's where I put mine) without any effort at all. I had a lot of startup problems with my GROM. I haven't gone back to update that thread yet because I don't want to look like an *** saying it's working fine again only to go back later and say I was wrong... but GROM recently supplied me with another unposted firmware update (V31) for the thing and so far, I haven't had any problems with it at all again yet...

So, I am nearly comfortable with recommending people look at the GROM units for their GS now.

Oops, I noticed you seem to have already bought the VML.
Old 02-14-10, 05:14 PM
98OysterES
Driver

UPDATE:

I was hoping for more responses before I performed my install, however, since there weren't any, I experimented, and found a location that worked for me.

Passenger side footwell, above the plastic panel below the knee airbag. This trim piece is held on by 4 clips, just pull straight doen, and the panel removes quite easily. I placed the unit as close to the firewall as possible, and the panel replaced easily, without any distortion, despite the large white (blower motor?) that is under there.

If anyone reading this thinks that this is a bad location, please let me know why .... I would hate to find that this VML unit might interfere with something that is down there from the factory.
Old 02-14-10, 05:20 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I think because of the size of the thing, I think the only good spot is the glovebox which makes things a bit more of a hassle. When I was shopping for a USB MP3 solution, I really hated the fact that they only offered them with the useless internal hdd bay. Honestly, having your music on a bunch of very cheap USB sticks is both more convenient and cheaper. The method that you need to employ to load the internal HDD of the VML is also really cumbersome.

For less than half the price you can get a GROM USB unit, which is very small and it fits right inside of the center console (that's where I put mine) without any effort at all. I had a lot of startup problems with my GROM. I haven't gone back to update that thread yet because I don't want to look like an *** saying it's working fine again only to go back later and say I was wrong... but GROM recently supplied me with another unposted firmware update (V31) for the thing and so far, I haven't had any problems with it at all again yet...

So, I am nearly comfortable with recommending people look at the GROM units for their GS now.

Oops, I noticed you seem to have already bought the VML.
I have seen this unit, and heard many people complain about this unit for various reasons. I had the SLI in my 07 Camry, and loved it .... never had ANY problems ... when I bought the GS, the VML was available. I purchased the VML, and installed my own PATA 160GB hard drive from an old laptop that I had lying around. I installed the unit today, and I really like it!

Sound Quality is good, installation is EXTREMELY EASY!!! Also, using the install location that I used, if anything were to go wrong with the unit or the hard drive, I can gain access to it in seconds without having to remove the entire NAVI screen & radio, and remedy the problem quickly.

While the GROM is a good alternative to the SLI/VML ... the VAIS units have the reliability and track record of flawless performance ... until GROM gets their units working properly, I would stay away for peace of mind!
Old 02-14-10, 05:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not installed this specific unit but I dont see why you cant place it up in the dash. Just make sure to zip tie it so its secure.
Old 02-14-10, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
I have not installed this specific unit but I dont see why you cant place it up in the dash. Just make sure to zip tie it so its secure.
this unit is considerably bigger than the other vaistech units, placing it behind the radio won't have enough space.

i was able to look at this and i also agree to hide the unit, around the passenger footwell area is the best
Old 02-19-10, 07:14 AM
spender
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that this may not be 100% on topic, but I have a 2004 LS430, and am trying to figure out where to mount/hide the Vaistech VML unit. Does anyone know if the LS430 has a similar passenger footwell spot as the GS?

The unit is 1 1/4" thick; 4" wide; and 6" long. I'd put it about about 2 1/2 times the size of the SLi.
Old 02-19-10, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spender
I realize that this may not be 100% on topic, but I have a 2004 LS430, and am trying to figure out where to mount/hide the Vaistech VML unit. Does anyone know if the LS430 has a similar passenger footwell spot as the GS?

The unit is 1 1/4" thick; 4" wide; and 6" long. I'd put it about about 2 1/2 times the size of the SLi.
overall i think passenger wheel well area is probably one of the best locations (in general) to put this. a lot of times if you pull out the carpet a bit there are spaces by the side of the center console and sometimes there are spaces around where you can put the unit, put back the carpet, and it won't be noticeable. and of course mounting it the higher the better imho to "hide" it
Old 02-19-10, 08:59 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I mounted mine between the nav and dvd changer behind the radio. The fix is PERFECT and I used velco to adhere it. Works like a charge and looks great.
Old 02-19-10, 12:21 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 98OysterES
While the GROM is a good alternative to the SLI/VML ... the VAIS units have the reliability and track record of flawless performance ...
I don't think so. My 2007 GS came with two VAIS units installed: SLi (for iPod) and SLS (for Sirius radio). Both units were malfunctioning and had to be removed. SLi did not work properly with three out of four iPods I tried. SLS worked perfectly, but caused electrical problems in the vehicle. The problems went away for good once SLS was disconnected.
Old 02-19-10, 10:30 PM
bbetts00
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a VML in my '06 GS300 last weekend. I put the unit in the bottom section of the center console. While I had the console out to connect the harness, I drilled a hole at the front bottom to fit the USB cable through. Next, removed the ash tray and drilled a hole there. Ran the USB cable between these two holes so my USB memory stick is accessible in the compartment that houses the ashtray/lighter.
Old 02-20-10, 08:51 PM
spender
Driver

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I mounted mine between the nav and dvd changer behind the radio. The fix is PERFECT and I used velco to adhere it. Works like a charge and looks great.
Hi - thanks for the note! When you say "between" the nav and cd changer, do you literally mean "between", as in sandwiched between them? Or behind (i.e. closer to the firewall)? I'm going to install tomorrow (Sunday), so thanks again!
Old 03-10-10, 07:57 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

When you remove the nav unit you will see a gap between the nav and the dvd/cd changer. It fit perfectly back there.
Old 03-11-10, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by IronCobra
When you remove the nav unit you will see a gap between the nav and the dvd/cd changer. It fit perfectly back there.
cool. just out of curiosity i wonder if heat can be a problem there especially if using the hdd. you got heat from both the screen and the factory radio
Old 04-05-10, 09:34 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I haven't had a single issue. been installed that way for over a year now.