GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 07:06 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty Question

I purchased my car (06 GS300) new in 2005 and got the 6yr/100K warranty from my credit union. My car currently has 81K miles on it. I took it to the dealer today for the VSC/Check Engine light. Thought I would have no problems until the rep tells me they do not accept aftermarket warranties.

If any repair is done I will have to pay in full and get reimbursed from the warranty company. Since this was my first time using the warranty I was shocked. I know other people purchase outside warrantys, how do you handle major repairs? Because right now, I think the warranty is useless.

And ooh by the way, the rep then tells me that the warranty company may not cover 100% what Lexus we will charge and I have to make up the differnce.

Is this dealership to dealership or a Lexus wide policy? Any insight or help appreciated.
Old 02-16-10, 10:03 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you read your extended service plan contract? Did you call the administrator? Your experience and your questions have absolutely nothing to do with Lexus dealerships. You need to understand what coverage you have and how it works by reading the contract and speaking to the administrator. It is that simple.

Different third-party service contracts work differently. Almost all require some sort of pre-authorization for repairs. Many would reimburse the shop directly so that you don't have to pay out of pocket. I really don't understand why you would say that your coverage is "worthless", but you certainly had incorrect expectations.
Old 02-16-10, 10:42 AM
DWNYC
Rookie

Don't have any good advice on this one but that's why I made sure I was got a Lexus extended warranty.
Old 02-16-10, 10:45 AM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, my posting said nothing bad about about the Lexus Dealership. I am happy and have always been happy with the dealership I take my car to.

Second, my question was to get answers on how people handle a major repairs. Yes, shame on me I did not call the dealership... Shame on me I did not call the warranty rep. I am not having a pity party and never will, was just looking for how other people handle repairs that either their warranty company will not reimburse for what Lexus is going to charge or maybe if people just start taking thier cars to another place other than the dealer.
Old 02-16-10, 11:49 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stefnee
First, my posting said nothing bad about about the Lexus Dealership. I am happy and have always been happy with the dealership I take my car to.

Second, my question was to get answers on how people handle a major repairs. Yes, shame on me I did not call the dealership... Shame on me I did not call the warranty rep. I am not having a pity party and never will, was just looking for how other people handle repairs that either their warranty company will not reimburse for what Lexus is going to charge or maybe if people just start taking thier cars to another place other than the dealer.

i think the point modeler was getting at is it really depends on your warranty. all 3rd party warranties are different on what they cover and what they dont. you'll have to see it and see how they pay for things. you may have to pay up front, submit the bill to get the money back.
Old 02-16-10, 01:01 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stefnee

Not sure why you're getting so worked up. I wasn't trying to shame you. You are referring to your "rep" in the post and then ask whether your experience is typical of Lexus. Of course I assumed you were talking about a service rep at a dealership. What were you talking about?

Again, I don't understand why you assume that your policy would not cover the repair. I suggest you go back and re-read your post and maybe edit it to pose a clear question.

Last edited by Modeler; 02-16-10 at 01:04 PM.