GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Handling issue at hwy speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 06:14 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handling issue at hwy speeds

I posted this in my "new to Lexus thread" but thought it important enough to post it here also under this new thread title in case we have others that are wondering if they are crazy or their cars are handling like crap. I purchased the car on January 30th, an 06 CPO GS300. I have been trying to figure out why this car is so hard to handle at hwy speeds. It is great at low speeds, around town and on those roads are where I test drove it. But at hwy speed, you had better stay focused and concentrate.

Took the car into Lexus today and explained that over about 55 MPH and especially at higher speeds, the car needs constant steering corrections and almost feels that as soon as I compensate in one direction, it almost seems like to much and then I must adjust some the other way. Also told them that the car handling also seems very compromised based on road conditions such as one bump or dip forcing me to start making corrections again. My last car, a Jetta also has electromechanical steering but was was easier and more fun to drive based on how my Lexus is now. I don't dare drive this Lexus one handed. I said no way should this 46 thousand dollar sport sedan be handling in such a dangerous way. This is supposed to be a sport sedan competing with the 5 series BMW.

Mechanic went for a ride with me. He said he would check the alignment and also would look at the settings for the electromechanical steering. He informed me that there was a campaign and the steering racks were replaced. I don't know if that was on all 06 GS300 models or just part of the CPO program. He had heard of this steering issue before. Maybe the rack or electro mechanical steering settings are not right.

He told me he cleared the rack/PS settings and reset everything, alignment was spot on. He feels this will take care of the problem. After this repair, on lower speed roadways, the car felt better. I only got up to about 60 mph for 20 seconds on a very flat well paved road. I will get it onto the hwy within the next day or so and update you. I sure hope this helps. By the way, they said they use Falken tires all the time with no problems.

With all of the CPO hype, I am a little surprised at having issues. My wifes CPO ES350 was purchased the same day. I drove it a bit the next day and noticed it was pulling to the right. It needed an alignment. Dealer took care of it, the service is very good. Just hope they hit the nail on the head with the GS.
Old 02-19-10, 06:44 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the GS steering is a little lose. if you hit a bump, the wheel will turn on you.

so yeah, driving with both hands helps.

i don't think it's a flaw. You're just not used to it coming from another brand
Old 02-19-10, 09:29 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I'm on the highway I drive regularly at over 80 mph and I don't really have any issues with driving with just one hand loosely on the wheel. Take that for what it's worth.
Old 02-19-10, 09:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

me neither, but i do get the same issues, i figured because of the power steering design it's like that =]

i say you should embrace how it was given to you simply because it helps us stay awake and pay more attention on the road
Old 02-19-10, 10:07 PM
dwvninety
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a VW Jetta 2006 2.5 package 2 and a Lexus GS AWD 2006 currently. I try to drive both evenly but find myself on the Jetta more. Both purchased brand new and the Jetta just hit 57,009 and the GS 35,431. The Jetta is sporty and easier to drive, you can actually tell how fast you are going without looking at the speedometer. The GS on the other hand is quiet, heavy, and smooth. I sometime forget I am going 85mph or faster when i am driving it . I like the GS on long road trips but I do not take a lot of those. City driving I prefer my Jetta as it is more nimble. On a side note both cars suffer from dash noise and both have TSB on them. The GS I took to the dealer and it was cured with one fix. The Jetta has been to the dealer 5 times and still has dash noise. Unfortunately the Jetta is no longer in warranty and the GS I have until November 2010. I enjoy both vehicles, but its like comparing an apple to an orange.

Last edited by dwvninety; 02-19-10 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-19-10, 10:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i also agree in most cases it's about getting used to the car. lexus cars in general have pretty loose steering wheel, it's just by design. but once you get used to it then it's not a big deal. i can drive with one hand and the car will go just fine. but compared to my bmw it's totally different. fwiw, sometimes i drive the bmw consecutively for days, and when i get back in my gs, i do find myself holding tighter to the steering wheel coz' i feel the car is "loose". but soon i am "back on track"
Old 02-19-10, 10:57 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My 97 maxima handled the road like a champ. In my gs compared to the is, i cant drive over a small puddle without using two hands because it jerks my wheel quickly.
Old 02-20-10, 03:29 AM
R.DUB
Driver

Haven't noticed any loose steering or pulling when hitting bumps or uneven pavement.
Old 02-20-10, 06:21 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Wow. Based on your responses, I hope I did not make a mistake buying the GS300. I'll take it for a ride today and see how it is. My 05.5 New Body Style Jetta had some rattle issues and over time, the dealer managed to repair them although the design and materials still caused a certain buzziness and vibration at cetain speeds/temperatures and road conditions. Years ago, I gave up on corporate america and learned how to drive a big rig. I bought a used KW cabover and pulled 40 - 53 ft trailers. I can say my truck was easy to drive and handle. Getting used to the car is not what I want to have to do. It should not be that hard to drive a luxury car. I don't enjoy white knuckle steering or arm ache from trying to lock your arms in position. Let's pray that this reset by the dealer will have helped.

Last edited by ingoodtime; 02-20-10 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-20-10, 09:29 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vuiskool
My 97 maxima handled the road like a champ. In my gs compared to the is, i cant drive over a small puddle without using two hands because it jerks my wheel quickly.
it might just be my crappy yokohoma stock tires though.
Old 02-20-10, 09:43 AM
Evel
Driver

I may have been one of the first to report te loose handling "drifting" at almost any speed (town or highway) back in 2006. After complaining to my dealer for the first yeasr of ownership, the runflats went bad with less than 10K miles on the car, & I had alignments performed 4 times within the first year. I complianed to corp Lexus & their district mgr came to dealer near me & had them inspect the entire suspension system. The concluded my issue was bad set of runflats that had developed dead spots & perhaps the tires & 18" wheels pulled from '06 GS430 as part of my purchase deal, may have sat on the dock or on the dealers lot too long. They gave me a new set of runflats in performed another alignment & re-centered the steering wheel & the problem was solved. This was back in June '07 & I have not experienced the drifting problem since.
Old 02-20-10, 09:48 AM
daudi81
Rookie

I have an 06 GS430 and I'm always on the highway with it. I probably average around 90, sometimes more on my quick highway runs. (It's usually early early in the morning and nobody is on the road, that's why I drive so fast.)

Anyhow, I don't experience anything that you are - so I think there is definitely something wrong w/ your car. A few friends, and my wife and mother have driven the car on the highway and note how smooth and easy to control it is. So I think something is messed up with yours.

I've owned and driven many VW's on the road, including jettas - and they don't have better steering - in fact I feel quite a bit more comfortable in the GS at high speeds.

I would trade the car in if it doesn't get fixed, because something is not right with you car.
Old 02-20-10, 10:32 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daudi81
I have an 06 GS430 and I'm always on the highway with it. I probably average around 90, sometimes more on my quick highway runs. (It's usually early early in the morning and nobody is on the road, that's why I drive so fast.)

Anyhow, I don't experience anything that you are - so I think there is definitely something wrong w/ your car. A few friends, and my wife and mother have driven the car on the highway and note how smooth and easy to control it is. So I think something is messed up with yours.

I've owned and driven many VW's on the road, including jettas - and they don't have better steering - in fact I feel quite a bit more comfortable in the GS at high speeds.

I would trade the car in if it doesn't get fixed, because something is not right with you car.
I definitely agree. It may have to do with the Variable Gear Ratio Steering that is found in the 430, 460, and 450h but my car is solid as a rock at speeds over 100. It has very tight steering on the freeway and is nimble at low speeds. It can feel a bit artificial at times but I would definitely not call it loose.

If you can't fix this with a new set of tires, I would suggest trading it in on another. You shouldn't be having this problem.
Old 02-20-10, 11:26 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TIRES! TIRES! TIRES!! If you do not have decent ones, they will make the GS handle like crap. Honestly. I drive on highways with my Michelins and they are perfect for high speed up to 90 mph with no stability problem or drifting left/right, etc etc.
Old 02-20-10, 11:28 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Last summer, Lexus replaced my runflats due to a tire defect. New Michelins are fine but I have had to tweak the air pressure on each front side due to drifting. Would say it is better (and tolerable) but not perfect. With other postings, wonder now if this is just "soft steering" design? As a comparison, my 99 Volvo V70 has tighter steering.

Quick Reply: Handling issue at hwy speeds