GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Intake Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 04:22 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Intake Update

Any 3GS owners out there with cold air intakes?
I'm thinking of getting one.
I need the 411.
Pros and cons.
Would you do it again with what you know now?

Thanks
Old 02-20-10, 10:28 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my intake. (K&N) I paired it up with the Tanabe exhaust and it really sounds mean in the higher RPM's. (it’s not annoying loud though) I can also tell you that having both of these give you a little more punch too. It took me about a hour to install. It was also a little more difficult than my previous cars but not that bad. Oh yeah and it does not throw a dash light which is very important to me. They also say it gives you 18.11 hp's but thats BS.
Old 02-20-10, 10:45 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chancellor
Love my intake. (K&N) I paired it up with the Tanabe exhaust and it really sounds mean in the higher RPM's. (it’s not annoying loud though) I can also tell you that having both of these give you a little more punch too. It took me about a hour to install. It was also a little more difficult than my previous cars but not that bad. Oh yeah and it does not throw a dash light which is very important to me. They also say it gives you 18.11 hp's but thats BS.
Hey Chancellor,
Do you have or can you post a sound clip? I am also interested.
Old 02-20-10, 11:00 AM
spyuae
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Fujita-106917.htm
Old 02-20-10, 12:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there are no "true" cold air intakes for our cars. I tested the Injen on my car and had no CEL or issues. It was pretty quite even with my V8. Its going to be short ram or the F-Sport.

I did try the SRT for the 2gen GS and the sound was amazing. You will need to have the car tuned with an Apexi NEO or something similar due to the size of the pipe. This would be my suggestion for anyone looking.
Old 02-20-10, 01:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the F sport system on my car (GS350) and its a piece of trash. Total rip off. It makes 0.00% difference in the sound that the motor makes. I feel that Lexus totally screwed its customers by selling this to us . Spend your money with a company who actually puts out a decent performance intake. My F Sport sway bars make more noise than my F sport intake....seriously
Old 02-20-10, 06:46 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

Nice to see 350 and 430 owners having fun. Wish I could join in but nothing for the 460 yet.
Old 02-20-10, 06:58 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^I couldn't find anything for the GS430 either. I test fitted the 2gen GS430/400 intake to my car and it fit almost perfect. Major difference is the design of the front of the cars and the 2gen GS seems to have a little more room.

If you search I posted about it with pics. I would be surprised if it didn't fit your car also. Better option would be the SRT intake for the 2gen GS430 and have someone tune your car. I had a YouTube but the person took it down. It sounded amazing!!
Old 02-20-10, 07:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^I couldn't find anything for the GS430 either. I test fitted the 2gen GS430/400 intake to my car and it fit almost perfect. Major difference is the design of the front of the cars and the 2gen GS seems to have a little more room.

If you search I posted about it with pics. I would be surprised if it didn't fit your car also. Better option would be the SRT intake for the 2gen GS430 and have someone tune your car. I had a YouTube but the person took it down. It sounded amazing!!
SRT intake + Apexi = more HP.. Not sure if Reggie would go this route but SRT seems the better bang for the buck if his looking for a sound difference.
Old 02-20-10, 09:40 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Ice, I have te JoeZ pipe with a K&N panel filter, I've noticed a bit more acceleration, and loss of gas hahah and im very conservative but the car responds alot better. Honestly, can't go wrong with this setup because the factory snorkel picks up air from the front grill and directs it the the filter box which imo is the best.

I also Heat Wrapped the JoeZ pipe with exhaust wrap to prevent the pipe from getting hot, and installed 2 mini k&n breathers instead of using the crankcase tube to prevent oil from getting into the intake.

Works like a charm..
Old 02-20-10, 10:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

hey passnu, just a head up off MY experiences off of the 6 cars i've put intakes, turbo's etc etc. on, CAI<SRI, simply because the SRI system will get you more TQ (more TQ means you feel the difference a lot more) for CAI, you won't feel anything but a huge lag, probably close to factory, and of course the loudness of it is muffled SIMPLY because the pipe is neverending and runs to the front of or cars or etc.

so for now i'd do SRI, and like you said, with an SRI, you always need tuning to get power, at least for our cars... I've been told by a techie that our ECU's are reprogrammable (to a certain extent), BUT someone has to have connections to Lexus's database & a $7000 tuning maching rofl waffles.

One more thing, I've also been taught that stock airboxes....80% of the time are built to make maximum performance, it's the perfect size/rating... only thing holding our cars back from making monstrous sounds and possibly a few horsie powers @ WOT is that accordian looking thing...

Example:

Old 02-20-10, 11:49 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have the F sport system on my car (GS350) and its a piece of trash. Total rip off. It makes 0.00% difference in the sound that the motor makes. I feel that Lexus totally screwed its customers by selling this to us . Spend your money with a company who actually puts out a decent performance intake. My F Sport sway bars make more noise than my F sport intake....seriously
Take off that F Sport intake and sell it to me. Buy a Joe Z pipe and get a K&N drop in, we'll both be happy!
Old 02-21-10, 08:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
hey passnu, just a head up off MY experiences off of the 6 cars i've put intakes, turbo's etc etc. on, CAI<SRI, simply because the SRI system will get you more TQ (more TQ means you feel the difference a lot more) for CAI, you won't feel anything but a huge lag, probably close to factory, and of course the loudness of it is muffled SIMPLY because the pipe is neverending and runs to the front of or cars or etc.

so for now i'd do SRI, and like you said, with an SRI, you always need tuning to get power, at least for our cars... I've been told by a techie that our ECU's are reprogrammable (to a certain extent), BUT someone has to have connections to Lexus's database & a $7000 tuning maching rofl waffles.

One more thing, I've also been taught that stock airboxes....80% of the time are built to make maximum performance, it's the perfect size/rating... only thing holding our cars back from making monstrous sounds and possibly a few horsie powers @ WOT is that accordian looking thing...

Yea that SRT pipe is better as your allowing more air. The size difference is pretty big and the reason you will need some sort of piggy back to tune the A/F ratios. You can always have a custom shop make the pipe for you Then get a Apexi Neo or something similar and you will be very happy
Old 02-21-10, 11:26 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know if the K&N typhoon for the 350 or injen for 2gen 430 intakes fit the 460?
Old 02-21-10, 11:30 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

The 350 will not since its a V6 and the intake is in a different location. The 2gen GS430 "should" be the same if not similar.

Here is a pic on my 3gen GS430 with the 2gen GS430 Injen intake installed. I thought someone with a GS460 had tried this out??

Quick Reply: Intake Update