GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sl2s & sl2xmt

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 08:09 PM
jason60050
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sl2s & sl2xmt

Could someone explain this product to me...I have a 2009 GS350 without the ML but with the navi and no satellite radio at this time. I understand I would need to purchase the SL2S box and sirius radio tuner box...but do this product utilize my shark fin antenna or do I need to purchase one of those crappy black things you see on peoples car? I guess I just want to know if this is a plug and play set up or is it a really in depth process to set up??
Old 02-23-10, 08:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no, it's not using the shark fin, like you said there will be the extra black antenna that goes with the unit. it's all plug and play still, but you got the magnetic antenna to mount somewhere

if you want "factory" look and utilize the shark fin, you can always do the factory xm radio tuner kit
Old 02-24-10, 05:08 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

First of all, it will not be the SL2XMT unit, which is designed to hook up non-Lexus XM radio tuner. There is a separate model for Sirius tuner hook-up.

In all you will need three items: VAIS or another after-market Sirius tuner, VAIS SLS or whatever the current box for hooking up Sirius is, and SL2i. The three units will be daisy-chained: the Sirius unit in the trunk will connect to SLS, which will connect to SL2i, which will connect to the back of your head-unit.

You cannot use the sharkfin antenna since it has a proprietary connection for the OEM XM unit. You will have one of those black magnetic mouse-looking antennas probably on the front lip of your trunk.

By the way, I recently had SL2i installed in my car and I really love it. I now have no desire to sign up for satellite radio again despite previously being an XM subscriber and big fan for the last 7 years. Are you sure you will really need both the iPod adapter and satellite radio?
Old 02-24-10, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
First of all, it will not be the SL2XMT unit, which is designed to hook up non-Lexus XM radio tuner. There is a separate model for Sirius tuner hook-up.

In all you will need three items: VAIS or another after-market Sirius tuner, VAIS SLS or whatever the current box for hooking up Sirius is, and SL2i. The three units will be daisy-chained: the Sirius unit in the trunk will connect to SLS, which will connect to SL2i, which will connect to the back of your head-unit.

You cannot use the sharkfin antenna since it has a proprietary connection for the OEM XM unit. You will have one of those black magnetic mouse-looking antennas probably on the front lip of your trunk.

By the way, I recently had SL2i installed in my car and I really love it. I now have no desire to sign up for satellite radio again despite previously being an XM subscriber and big fan for the last 7 years. Are you sure you will really need both the iPod adapter and satellite radio?
OP only stated that he wants satellite radio, in that case he definitely does not need sl2i-up, which is only for ipod integration.

if he wants satellite radio, then
sl2xmt for xm
sl2s for sirus

and if he wants both sl2i-up and sl2s, the tuner is not daisy chained together with the two systems. only the brains (sl2i-up and sl2s) are daisy chained together, the tuner / antenna is unit you hook off the sl2s
Old 02-24-10, 08:47 AM
jason60050
Driver

So how do I utilize the shark fin antenna...do I need to go the lexus dealer and have a OEM XM unit installed? If so how much does that cost?
Old 02-24-10, 08:47 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by jason60050
Could someone explain this product to me...I have a 2009 GS350 without the ML but with the navi and no satellite radio at this time. I understand I would need to purchase the SL2S box and sirius radio tuner box...but do this product utilize my shark fin antenna or do I need to purchase one of those crappy black things you see on peoples car? I guess I just want to know if this is a plug and play set up or is it a really in depth process to set up??
If you would like to install Sirius in your car then you would need to install SL2s with SCC1 universal Sirius tuner. You can also utilize your factory shark fin antenna with SFA12M adapter from us, it will connect SCC1 tuner directly to your shark fin antenna.

You can also daisy chain SL2s with any of our iPod adapters to get iPod integration as well.
Old 02-24-10, 02:28 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jason60050
So how do I utilize the shark fin antenna...do I need to go the lexus dealer and have a OEM XM unit installed? If so how much does that cost?
You buy the tuner and the fitment kit off the Web very cheaply, and you install it yourself in the trunk. It is very easy to do.