GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Can GS350 Be Stoolen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 01:05 PM
Leonard15
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can GS350 Be Stoolen?

Hi guys I have a 2009 GS350 and was wondering if someone broke the glass to enter the car would they still be able to start it by cracking the steering colum? I just want to know b/c my car has the push button start and wondering if that feature makes thieves unable to start the car unless they have the key sensor on them.
Old 02-25-10, 01:28 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

you dont even need to break into the car to steal it. just watch out for flatbeds in your neighborhood.
Old 02-25-10, 01:29 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any car can be "stoolen", but you can't just crack the steering column and connect a few wires on the modern cars like the GS. They all have engine immobilizers or fuel cut off that is not disabled unless they get the correct code from your key.

Of course, sophisticated thieves can bypass such features, but it takes more than just connecting wires.
Old 02-25-10, 01:31 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
you dont even need to break into the car to steal it. just watch out for flatbeds in your neighborhood.
Yea, someones IS-F was stolen using a flatbed
Old 02-25-10, 02:03 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nowadays they would even use GPS jammers to stop the tracking function. No one's car's safe.
Old 02-25-10, 03:22 PM
Leonard15
Rookie

So does that mean that someone can still start my car even if they don't have the key sensor on them? I am just curious as I know it can be towed away on a flat bed but wasn't sure if a thief could start up the engine after breaking in.
Old 02-25-10, 04:01 PM
TWong350

Plain and simple, if someone really wants your car, they'll take it regardless of what countermeasures are in-place. That's why we all have insurance. Well, most of us at least.
Old 02-25-10, 04:13 PM
bs0dxi
Driver

Originally Posted by lamar411
Yea, someones IS-F was stolen using a flatbed
LMAO..was it an ISF owned by a CL member? hahaha
Old 02-25-10, 06:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonard15
So does that mean that someone can still start my car even if they don't have the key sensor on them? I am just curious as I know it can be towed away on a flat bed but wasn't sure if a thief could start up the engine after breaking in.
without the fob, for sure it's harder for them to start the car, but i am pretty sure with the right tools, people can do it

but honestly i think you shouldn't worry too much about this specific problem. even if say it's going to be hard for them to start the car, and if they want it, they will use other means to take it
Old 02-25-10, 07:21 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonard15
you want to really keep the GS secure? install the following security protocols:
- top of the line alpine or clifford alarm system with the following options
1) glass sensor
2) shock sensor
3) motion sensor (any motion within 1 ft all around your car, alarm will warn or sound)
4) tilt sensor (senses an illegal tow)
5) anti-carjacking device
6) electronic or mechanical hood lock (can't pop your hood to disconnect the alarm)
7) multiple sirens with backup battery located under wheel well
8) pain generators inside the car (loud piercing noise that hurts the ears)
9) lojack or gps tracking device
10) pager (when your alarm goes off, you will know it)

- park in a secure garage with alarm system
- dog(s) to guard your property at home
- baseball bat or gun (check your local laws for your legal rights and the consequences of killing someone, they may vary from state to state)
- concrete or metal pillars that you can install into the driveway to prevent smash and grab (like what the malls or electronic stores have in front of their doors)
- security guards
- hire a kungfu master or ninja
- (anything you can think of, put in here)

....ok, i'm being facetious here, but security can only go so far to protect your car. like others have mentioned, if someone wants your car bad enough (even to kill you for it), you are going to have a real bad day.

unless you are rich enough to implement crazy security measures, you are going to do that for a Bugatti or Enzo (or some really priceless or exotic vehicle), not for a GS.
Old 02-25-10, 07:42 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh that's why there is full coverage.
Old 02-25-10, 07:46 PM
Kendrick07
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stormforge
you want to really keep the GS secure? install the following security protocols:
- top of the line alpine or clifford alarm system with the following options
1) glass sensor
2) shock sensor
3) motion sensor (any motion within 1 ft all around your car, alarm will warn or sound)
4) tilt sensor (senses an illegal tow)
5) anti-carjacking device
6) electronic or mechanical hood lock (can't pop your hood to disconnect the alarm)
7) multiple sirens with backup battery located under wheel well
8) pain generators inside the car (loud piercing noise that hurts the ears)
9) lojack or gps tracking device
10) pager (when your alarm goes off, you will know it)

- park in a secure garage with alarm system
- dog(s) to guard your property at home
- baseball bat or gun (check your local laws for your legal rights and the consequences of killing someone, they may vary from state to state)
- concrete or metal pillars that you can install into the driveway to prevent smash and grab (like what the malls or electronic stores have in front of their doors)
- security guards
- hire a kungfu master or ninja
- (anything you can think of, put in here)

....ok, i'm being facetious here, but security can only go so far to protect your car. like others have mentioned, if someone wants your car bad enough (even to kill you for it), you are going to have a real bad day.

unless you are rich enough to implement crazy security measures, you are going to do that for a Bugatti or Enzo (or some really priceless or exotic vehicle), not for a GS.
Those are some good countermeasures. Enjoyed your post.
Old 02-25-10, 08:05 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendrick07
Those are some good countermeasures. Enjoyed your post.
LOL! i actually had some of those in one of my last cars. had a big stereo system that had to be protected. the insurance premium (for the stereo) was almost bordering on the outrageous
Old 02-25-10, 08:38 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bs0dxi
LMAO..was it an ISF owned by a CL member? hahaha
Im gonna laugh my *** off when your ride gets jacked
Old 02-26-10, 04:02 AM
enigmaos
Driver

Originally Posted by Modeler
Any car can be "stoolen", but you can't just crack the steering column and connect a few wires on the modern cars like the GS. They all have engine immobilizers or fuel cut off that is not disabled unless they get the correct code from your key.

Of course, sophisticated thieves can bypass such features, but it takes more than just connecting wires.
Originally Posted by TWong1200
Plain and simple, if someone really wants your car, they'll take it regardless of what countermeasures are in-place. That's why we all have insurance. Well, most of us at least.
Indeed, if they really want your car, they will take it. Like in Gone In 60 Seconds.

Quick Reply: Can GS350 Be Stoolen?