GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2 New sounds, Very frustrating (interior)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 11:29 PM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 New sounds, Very frustrating (interior)

So recently I have been hearing this sound comming from the lower passenger front door. Almost as if the speaker itself may be going bad, a bit of a tinny noise. Typically it happens during the first 10-15 minutes of driving and happens over bumps. It also happens sometimes with the speakers and bass. Anyone else?

And today, this really irks me. When i'm driving slower and make quick adjustments in steering, it sounds as if 2 pieces of small plastic are stuck inside the steering column and are rumbling all over the place. When I'm going faster than 15-20 mph I suppose I don't use enough steering adjustment to notice. But when I'm going slower it drives me f'n crazy.

I think i'm going to take apart some of the plastic and get some compressed air to try that out.
Old 03-09-10, 06:19 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For your door problem, I suggest playing some really loud music to see if you can reproduce the problem that way without moving. If it doesn't, then your speaker is fine. You can try taking the door panel off and reseating it and tightening it up.

Have you ever had the car tinted? (Sorry, I just noticed that you have 35% written in your sig, so I assume yes) They need to remove the door panels to do the job, they may have been a bit lazy in tightening things back up again and it may have eventually vibrated loose somewhere.

Alternatively, take your car to get tinted at a reputable place and then complain to them afterward that something they did caused a rattle. :P
Old 03-09-10, 06:50 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^Nah, I have had my last several cars tinted and they dont take off the door panel. Someone, IMO, that is good and knows what they are doing shouldn't need to take off the door panel anymore. I have two guys that I rely on for this. One works all the high end dealers close to me and the other has done many of the Chicago CL group.

On another note I took off my door panels for the Side Turn Signal installation and I have no rattles from that.

Im going to say its the lovely rattles of the GS and the fact of the crappy Chicago roads we have to deal with. I can't wait for spring and some major road repair around here.
Old 03-09-10, 09:45 AM
DWNYC
Rookie

Is it easy to take the door panel off? I brought my car into Lexus to fix the dash rattle and also the door rattle. The dash was more or less fixed and the door was not. Brought in a second time and still the same, maybe mildly better. I don't want to be that guy that is hypersensitive about rattles but this one annoys me. It only happens when driving over rough bumps or manhole covers. It sounds like the panel is loose and it's not disimilar from the dash rattle (somewhat like styrofoam). If the door is easy to remove, I may just go in and investigate myself. I'll need to order a set of new clips to replace and get felt tape though.

Also, the GS isn't a exactly a rattle free car (also have a rattle near the sunroof and maybe the console) but I can live with these since it only comes when the roads are really rough. I guess I just had a higher expectation for Lexus and their relentless pursuit of perfection.

Sorry if this was covered in other threads.
Old 03-09-10, 09:47 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a door rattle which occurs relating to the fold-out door pockets. The dealer can fix that really quickly with some insulation foam. I had that when I took delivery of my car. When the mechanic heard it he instantly recognized it and they fixed it in less than an hour.
Old 03-09-10, 09:48 AM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
There is a door rattle which occurs relating to the fold-out door pockets. The dealer can fix that really quickly with some insulation foam. I had that when I took delivery of my car. When the mechanic heard it he instantly recognized it and they fixed it in less than an hour.
What does this rattle sound like? I'll need to investigate this as a possibility for my car. (see my post above).
Old 03-09-10, 10:20 AM
Inertia
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Uggh, I think i have this door rattle too, its soo annoying. I hear it more when I step out of my car, its a heavy squeaking sound
Old 03-09-10, 11:38 AM
DWNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Inertia
Uggh, I think i have this door rattle too, its soo annoying. I hear it more when I step out of my car, its a heavy squeaking sound
No rattle when I step out of the car. Is yours more of a spring sound? Odd that the door rattles just by stepping out of the car.
Old 03-11-10, 12:01 AM
vandit23
Driver

I also heard this in my car, but it was the glove compartment...I hear this rattling on uneven roads, and it goes away when I push on the glove compartment while driving...Gotta insulate it, but have been too lazy...Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-10, 10:38 AM
RydinRuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by DWNYC
No rattle when I step out of the car. Is yours more of a spring sound? Odd that the door rattles just by stepping out of the car.
i hear the a spring/coil sound. at first i thought it was coming from where you click in the seatbelts. But i dont think its coming from there.

Do you know what the problem is
Old 03-11-10, 09:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cowsgomoo
So recently I have been hearing this sound comming from the lower passenger front door. Almost as if the speaker itself may be going bad, a bit of a tinny noise. Typically it happens during the first 10-15 minutes of driving and happens over bumps. It also happens sometimes with the speakers and bass. Anyone else?

And today, this really irks me. When i'm driving slower and make quick adjustments in steering, it sounds as if 2 pieces of small plastic are stuck inside the steering column and are rumbling all over the place. When I'm going faster than 15-20 mph I suppose I don't use enough steering adjustment to notice. But when I'm going slower it drives me f'n crazy.

I think i'm going to take apart some of the plastic and get some compressed air to try that out.

I have the exact same high frequency buzzing from the front passenger door as well. I took it into the shop at the last visit and reproduced it with music but they said they couldn't do much about it. They said if it get worse they will look into it again. My car has lots of squeaks and little rattles. Its mostly the console . I wonder if the German cars have squeaky consoles and buzzing doors?? My car is still very quiet but I feel like as its aged she has gotten noisier
Old 03-11-10, 09:36 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have heard a buzz type rattle from the front door with certain music tracks, especially with bass. It is not a bad speaker. I took mine apart myself after the speaker was replaced (rattle stayed). The rattle comes from the wood trim around the window switch. YOu have to wedge some foam door seal type insulation between the wood panel and the door panel so that it stops buzzing....Hope this helps.