GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Xenon is expensive!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 07:05 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's so gay.
Old 03-10-10, 08:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ESU1909
What are extended warranties good for??

pretty much nothing.
except transmission and a few other mechanicals.
but today's cars usually go past even the extended warranty period before anything breaks down

nitpicky stuff like rattles is not included.
Old 03-10-10, 08:49 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
pretty much nothing.
except transmission and a few other mechanicals.
but today's cars usually go past even the extended warranty period before anything breaks down

nitpicky stuff like rattles is not included.
I had an ECP on my last car (Matrix XRS, 2003). The ECP didn't get used even a single time. Anything that went wrong, which wasn't much, was never covered. Extended warranties are basically gambling, and with all gambling, the odds are always in favor of the house otherwise they wouldn't offer it.

Extended warranties that extend bumper to bumper stuff, I can see being more worthwhile because chances are a lot better that you WILL get some help with the nitpicky stuff. But, all in all, being nitpicky about cars as they get on in the years is a losing battle, it's best to just roll with it.

As the Zen Buddhists say - attaching yourself to possessions always leads to suffering, because nothing lasts forever.
Old 03-10-10, 10:42 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

i always laugh when people say you shouldnt get an extended warranty... Those are always the guys i hear crying at the dealer because they are having to pay so much or they have to get the car repaired at a shade tree mechanic and they have problems because cheap parts were used.... Lexus platinum care covers most everything your original factory warranty covered.... i have it on my car and i havent had problems getting stuff covered.... Just had to have one door speaker changed just that alone was over $400.00 but didnt cost me anything....
Old 03-11-10, 12:40 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBasco20
i always laugh when people say you shouldnt get an extended warranty... Those are always the guys i hear crying at the dealer because they are having to pay so much or they have to get the car repaired at a shade tree mechanic and they have problems because cheap parts were used.... Lexus platinum care covers most everything your original factory warranty covered.... i have it on my car and i havent had problems getting stuff covered.... Just had to have one door speaker changed just that alone was over $400.00 but didnt cost me anything....

Why do you laugh? I honestly think, buying the extended warranty for our car , is useless. I always laugh when people buy it because they always get suckered in by the dealer, because the dealer doesnt tell them what it really excludes. If you think our car wont last "mechanically" for 50k more miles, then be my guess. But if you do a search on the forums, mechanically, not one really hasn't had a problem with there powertrain.

The "problems" we have with our cars, is the interior rattling, which after the 50k mile warranty runs out, your stuck basically stuck in the water w/ your extended warranty not even covering it.

Now, if people were posting alot of mechancial problems with our 3rd Gen GS, I would definetely buy the extended warranty.

If your buying CPO, the car is already covered up to 100k, and is pretty much the same as the Extended warranty.

Last edited by ItsChris; 03-11-10 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-11-10, 01:51 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JBasco20
Just had to have one door speaker changed just that alone was over $400.00 but didnt cost me anything....

oh but it DID cost you. You bought the warranty for what- $2000 up front?

400 down, 1600 more to go to break even.

good luck.
Old 03-11-10, 03:03 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have extended warranty. Its a peace of mind that i am enjoying. You get roadside assist rental car, you never know what can happen. I am at 48865 miles. My cd player just stopped working. 1200 miles isnt much maybe 2 weeks of driving heavy. Cd player costs 1,500 and labor probably another few hundred. I bought extended warranty for 1,700 now let keep something in mind IT IS FULLY REFUNDABLE IF NOT USED!!!!. So for the people who haven't got it u guys are missing out. Its a win win situation.
Old 03-11-10, 03:29 AM
stefanati
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
Stefanati - are you feeling robbed?
Maybe a little bit... I would feel if it was some aftermarket bulb, but it happened at the official dealer! I make them do all the services to "give the car the best service", but don't know if it worth...

I had the same feeling last time, when I was driving the Jaguar.... Jaguar's service is like being robbed and raped every time you go there....
Old 03-11-10, 04:57 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

don't feel too bad. U know enough to question it.

A $425 lesson but never the less a lesson.
Old 03-11-10, 05:11 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I have extended warranty. Its a peace of mind that i am enjoying. You get roadside assist rental car, you never know what can happen. I am at 48865 miles. My cd player just stopped working. 1200 miles isnt much maybe 2 weeks of driving heavy. Cd player costs 1,500 and labor probably another few hundred. I bought extended warranty for 1,700 now let keep something in mind IT IS FULLY REFUNDABLE IF NOT USED!!!!. So for the people who haven't got it u guys are missing out. Its a win win situation.
Fully refundable? Where did you hear that from? i dont know thats why im asking, but i HIGHLY doubt Lexus would give your money back on a warranty that was compounded into your loan.

With 48k miles, you still have your existing new warranty, if it keeps breaking after the 50k miles after they change it lexus should fix it.

I still see no win win situation regarding a extended warranty, but thats just my opinion.
Old 03-11-10, 05:17 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

good luck.
Don't forget to add interest compounded over 4 years?

Also, no sane person would spend $400 to replace a speaker in their car if it was costing them out of pocket. We would go replace the speakers on both sides of the car with something twice as good for half the cost.
Old 03-11-10, 05:45 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

^ for $400 to replace 1 speaker from the dealer LOL wow, I'd buy some components or some Rainbows for that price.
Old 03-11-10, 09:22 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Don't forget to add interest compounded over 4 years?

Also, no sane person would spend $400 to replace a speaker in their car if it was costing them out of pocket. We would go replace the speakers on both sides of the car with something twice as good for half the cost.

and your going to do that using the factory amp???? If you do use the factory amp its not going to sound half as good and you will have a really screwed up sound stage....... if you do replace the entire ML Audio system your going to spend a ton more than 400.00.....
Old 03-11-10, 09:27 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

good luck.
well thats not the only thing i have had done using my warranty..... They replaced pads rotors and shims for the brake squeal..... YES UNDER WARRANTY...... Also had to have a pulley changed........ and they replaced the b pillars with the new updated ones because of scratches...oh and yea that was under warranty as well...... so yea ill take my good luck because i didnt pay a penny..... and i have already got the cost of the warranty back and i still have 45k and 4 years left on it......
Old 03-12-10, 11:49 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

You do know a website called "eBay" right (or Sewell Parts Online) !?!

Quick Reply: Xenon is expensive!!