GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My GS300 is 5 years old

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 02:57 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

mine rolled over it's 4th (and expiration of bumper to bumper) this week. Got treated to some final TSB's to address dash noise, seat squeaks, service to replace clips on an interior trim piece, replace a folded window seal and 4 new wheels. Dash is now dead quiet, even on really rough roads. Not optimistic it will stay that way forever, but it's nice while it lasts. They even turned my rear rotors at no cost which pleasantly surprised me. Great service and communication while they had it. Enjoyed the RX loaner, but was glad to get the GS back.
Old 03-12-10, 03:24 PM
canatto
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, I'm now 5 years older and our GS300 is still as young and charming as the day she was born! Not many 5-year olders out there in the street that can turn heads. I don't get to drive our GS much as the wife always claims she loves the car much more than I do. It doesn't bothers me however as it's always a pleasure to see her pull up from the street in such a grace and fluidity. It makes a big difference to have a GS in life.
Old 03-13-10, 07:42 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow...I hope to hang on to mine for 5 years as the 2nd owner. I have yet to own or lease a car for more then 3 years. If the car holds up I would like to pass it down to my son as his first car.

With the rear parking sensors what did they determine? And did they just randomly go off in R? I seem to have this and the dealer was not able to duplicate the problem.
Old 03-13-10, 10:15 AM
LexFather

Congrats on 5 years. I agree that the interior seems to hold up very well, better than the 2GS and the exterior still looks fresh/relevant especially compared to some of the competition.
Old 03-13-10, 10:36 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2

With the rear parking sensors what did they determine? And did they just randomly go off in R? I seem to have this and the dealer was not able to duplicate the problem.

The problem is that when you park it (seems to be more of an issue in warmer temps) and you start up and place in reverse, the sensor will say you are about to impact something. Once they replace it, it is good. Like I said, inner ones have been replaced and have been great so far. The outer ones are still original. The have never been impacted, so I dont know what the heck...maybe the early bacth were bad, but I thought the old LS had them back in 04 ?
Old 03-25-10, 11:45 PM
jr1966
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's happy 5th for your car, happy 5th to my car too. I didn't care to check the manufacture date of my car but I know based on records that my car saw service the middle of February 2005. So my car is a bit older than yours. Biggest issue I've had is the power steering failure at around 15k and a few months before warranty expired. Since it is not hydraulic, the failure was very sudden, as in when I parked, it was fine. And when I started the car to leave the place, the steering was so heavy. My car is currently at around 18k miles. Therefore, mileage-wise, my car is still very young.
Old 03-26-10, 12:08 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Just hit 50k and the car feel fine other than the squeaks from the console and a ratle from the front passenger door.
Old 03-26-10, 12:16 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

5 year anni, congrats!
Old 03-26-10, 06:12 PM
niteflite
Driver

i'm experiencing the same thing with the transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd almost instantly. also i've noticed some other hesitation and slippage recently. what is the cure for such things?

my warranty expiration date is coming up soon - do you recommend that i extend the warranty? i'm not sure yet if i want to keep the ride until it dies or get rid of it in the next couple of years...

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
My car turned 5 this week. Originally sold the first week of march in 2005, this GS is one of the first off the assembly line. It now has 60,300 miles on the odometer. Overall it has been a great car. Here are some of the highlights from its service history.
34k miles, PS linkage leak and replacement
34k miles, parking sensor replaced (rear)
40k miles, trunk motor jammed and replaced
40k miles, instrument cluster replaced due to tachometer making a grinding sound
43k miles, front brakes done
43k miles, another parking sensor replaced (rear)
51k miles, 3 service campaigns performed
54k miles, cam gear rattle repair
56k miles, rear brakes done
57k miles, CEL came on, I replaced the fuel cap - DONE
60k miles, spark plugs replaced – 2 more rear parking sensors faulty

As you can see, the car has been reliable. Sure it has had some recalls and unexpected issues but overall, not too bad. I did the NAV and DVD hack early on and installed a Vais ipod adapter and both have been flawless ever since. Besides bad parking sensors, the rest of the “worrisome” components have been working great. I had particular concerns about the touch display going bad as it is used constantly, but it has been reliable so far. I also had concerns about the steering column which moves away each time the car is turned off, again it has been fine. The keyless entry also has been flawless from day 1. I disabled the tilt of the mirrors as the rear sunshade to avoid wear and tear.

The interior has held up very well. The leather is in great condition without any cracks or fading. The exterior sheetmetal is very durable and does not have a single ding, though I tend to park near the end of the parking lots and avoid valets. The paint is mint with no fading, dulling or flaws except a few paint chips up front. Overall car looks near new. Excellent quality Lexus.

The power is adequate and brakes are very reassuring and not at too touchy (unlike the GS350). The engine is still very smooth and the car still accelerates confidently. Transmission shifts smoothly and precisely. The only complaint with the transmission is the behavior in stop and go conditions. It seems the car shifts almost immediately from 1st to 2nd and back and forth in rush hour stop and go traffic and that gets a bit old after a while. I have never tried it, but starting in SNOW in that setting may not be a bad idea. Highway gas mileage at 65-70 mph ranges from about 33 – 28 mpg. My daily city commute to and from work is a much less impressive 18-20 mpg. I find the ride quite comfortable even with 19 inch wheels installed and hope the next gen GS will have 19s as an option.

Overall I still find the car very appealing and contemporary. For anyone considering a GS, I recommend it highly. It is hard to go wrong with a GS.
Old 03-06-11, 08:40 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Bump.....GS is 6 years old this month....still holding up well
Old 03-06-11, 10:55 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles at 6y/o?
Old 03-07-11, 09:00 AM
JBasco20
Pole Position

i have had all but 1 of my rear parking sensors replaced and i think it needs it also... thankfully i have platinum care on my car so it was replaced all under warranty.
Old 03-07-11, 03:41 PM
stefnee
Driver

Default 5 yrs, 3 months 100K miles

My 06 GS300 hit 100K miles a last week. Other than the recalls you listed I have had the following issues.

Numerous headlight issues. I now get in the car and turn the headlights off 3 or 4 times before the passenger headlight will stay on. When I got home today, I notice the passenger parking light is out.... Great.

The rattle from the dash is bearable.

The cassette player is embarrassing considering the IS and ES have usb connectors.

Other than that. Great car. I have looked to see what car is out on the market now that will give me the SAME options and better. Not willing to settle on one option and there is none. I guess I will drive this car until the doors fall off on the beltway.
Old 03-08-11, 09:34 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stefnee
My 06 GS300 hit 100K miles a last week. Other than the recalls you listed I have had the following issues.

Numerous headlight issues. I now get in the car and turn the headlights off 3 or 4 times before the passenger headlight will stay on. When I got home today, I notice the passenger parking light is out.... Great.

The rattle from the dash is bearable.

The cassette player is embarrassing considering the IS and ES have usb connectors.

Other than that. Great car. I have looked to see what car is out on the market now that will give me the SAME options and better. Not willing to settle on one option and there is none. I guess I will drive this car until the doors fall off on the beltway.
it will be interesting to see how the 3GS holds up as more of them start to hit 100,000 miles and beyond. Will there be some legendary 300-350K examples prowling the streets like the first LS and SC models? Will all the features still work? My biggest fear is the sat/nav hvac system will fail, and fixing / replacing it will be cost prohibitive. I'd had to drive around with no A/C or radio. That thing is integrated into the whole car.
Old 03-08-11, 10:05 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

having few thoughts since new GS coming out soon whether i gonna sell my car or not,,thing is if GS comes out next year i dont want to buy first year model and not a big fan of E or 5 series,,guess keep the GS for few years and see what else is out there,,

Quick Reply: My GS300 is 5 years old