GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TPMS questions, not the same TPMS question asked 100 times

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 12:58 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS questions, not the same TPMS question asked 100 times

Hey Everyone. So like 6-8 months ago I put aftermarket rims on and took my stocks with the TPMS sensor off.

I was both surprised and excited when I started my car that night and the code was NOT thrown and no lights came on.

For months and months I drove around on aftermarket rims with no warning light then one day out of nowhere the light came on. This also surprised me.

It took me a few days to realize it but it MUST be because my stock rims with the sensors are in my garage where I park every night. obviously these are slowly leaking air as well.

I just took my car in for service and they were able to turn the light off!!!

But now I'm scared to go into my garage because I think once I go within a few feet of the stock rims, it's gonna throw that light again.

So do you guys think the light is going to come on no matter what sooner or later and I should not worry about it?

Do you guys think I should try to bring my stocks out of my garage and to another location so it doesn't send the signal to my car??

any ideas? Thanks!!!
Old 03-13-10, 03:38 PM
whise
Driver

What year your car and how did the dealer turn the light off?
Old 03-13-10, 03:40 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

I have an 06 gs430. The dealer had to reset my EBC light because I changed my pads and bleed the brake lines yesterday.

When turning off my EBC light, I guess he turned off the TMPS light also!!!!

It's very exciting.

I moved my stock tires like 5 feet away from my car on the other side of a small wall. That is as far as I can get them away from my car in my tiny garage.

So far, no light again yet!!
Old 03-14-10, 01:19 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5232696-post591.html

My post will give you some ideas on whether to purchase a new set or use your old rims' TPM sensors if possible. It's better to install the sensors to your new rims but not a must if you don't want to drill holes. If you keep the oem rims/TPMS in the garage where near your car, then you should check the oem tire pressure periodically. However, the warning lights will come up every time when you drive your car without TPMS for an extensive time or distance.
Old 03-14-10, 08:14 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

The light has nothing to do with the rims lying in your garage. The car queries TPMS sensors every few minutes when it's on. So the fact that your warning lights did not turn on when driving a car with wheels that have no TPMS sensors indicates that there is something wrong with your TPMS system.
Old 03-14-10, 11:04 AM
CashOverAs
Driver

can someone briefly explain how TPMS works? Please. I have had this conversations (arguement) multiple times. I assume there are wireless sensors in my stock rims that send a signal when the air gets low to my car, is that incorrect?
Old 03-14-10, 03:32 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Modeler
The light has nothing to do with the rims lying in your garage. The car queries TPMS sensors every few minutes when it's on. So the fact that your warning lights did not turn on when driving a car with wheels that have no TPMS sensors indicates that there is something wrong with your TPMS system.
But my understanding and experience is that the warning light will not turn on right away even without sensing (wirelessly) the sensors. So if Cash your oem wheels are in the garage and you only drive say 50 miles a day and park the car in the garage every night, chances are the warning light stays off.
Old 03-21-10, 11:04 AM
CashOverAs
Driver

Another update....

Last night I drove probably more than I have since I posted this thread. About15 miles to pick up my friend. Waited for her for a minute wthout killing the car, then another 15 miles home.

AS SOON as I pulled into my garage my TPMS light came on.

Bummer.
Old 03-21-10, 12:10 PM
yoteru
Rookie

just inflate the tires in your garage, so you always have good tire pressure...
Old 03-21-10, 07:35 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CashOverAs
can someone briefly explain how TPMS works? Please. I have had this conversations (arguement) multiple times. I assume there are wireless sensors in my stock rims that send a signal when the air gets low to my car, is that incorrect?
There are sensors in your wheels that periodically get queried by your car to send over the pressure information. This is done ALL the time, not just when the pressure gets too low. Once the car read the pressure information, if the pressure is too low, the warning light is shown on the dashboard. The experience you're having with your car makes no sense in the context of how TPMS system works.
Old 03-22-10, 06:22 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

So TPMS reads PERIODICALLY? Like if you had the sensors in your car, lets say. and your tires lost all the air in them over night, lets say, the next morning when you start your car up, it might not tell you right away you have low pressure, but it might tell you like x amount of time/miles later???

This seems flawed if I'm understanding correctly.

Or does it read the signal every so often in minutes, even when the car is off? That would aslo be strange.
Old 03-23-10, 04:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
im not saying your wrong but i dont think thats 100% true. i know i had my aftermarket wheels on for a few weeks and never had a low tire light come on and i parked no where near my oem wheels. there were other members that did the same thing. i highly doubt that all of our TPMS systems are wrong.
Old 03-23-10, 07:02 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried to establish a "B" set with no sensors assigned so that the TPMS sensors in the stock wheels will be ignored?
Old 03-23-10, 07:33 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CashOverAs
So TPMS reads PERIODICALLY? Like if you had the sensors in your car, lets say. and your tires lost all the air in them over night, lets say, the next morning when you start your car up, it might not tell you right away you have low pressure, but it might tell you like x amount of time/miles later???

This seems flawed if I'm understanding correctly.

Or does it read the signal every so often in minutes, even when the car is off? That would aslo be strange.
Let me answer part of your question. They only transmit when the car is moving. The turning of the tires excites the sender. This is how all TPMS work. If you get a reading standing still it's simply the last active reading. Some systems don't give a reading at all until you start moving. How far you have to go to get a current reading varies with the car - so I don't know.

Unfortunately (and unbelievably to me) Lexus does not actually give us a read out of the pressure, so we don't have a way to tell how quickly it would give you a low warning after initial start up. But I'm guessing within just a few hundred feet.
Old 03-24-10, 06:56 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Let me answer part of your question. They only transmit when the car is moving. The turning of the tires excites the sender. This is how all TPMS work. If you get a reading standing still it's simply the last active reading. Some systems don't give a reading at all until you start moving. How far you have to go to get a current reading varies with the car - so I don't know.

Unfortunately (and unbelievably to me) Lexus does not actually give us a read out of the pressure, so we don't have a way to tell how quickly it would give you a low warning after initial start up. But I'm guessing within just a few hundred feet.
I dont understand why everyone is making all of these assumptions.. Do the people chiming in on this thread even have aftermarket rims?

The light only goes on for me when I hit about 150 miles on a road trip 2 hours i leave my house which is in the vicinity of my stock rims.. I think it depends on the mileage that the sensors are checked periodically..

Quick Reply: TPMS questions, not the same TPMS question asked 100 times