GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rims completely thrashed by dealer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 10:09 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

autobacks, thats cool, but I still disagree, but tahts just my opinion. You can find a REALLY nice set of other tires Michellin MX or Bridgestones, that are probably just as quiet for ALOT cheaper. Ie:

Tire rack

Michellin tires 250 each
Mount and balanced - $100
Alignment - $100

Thats not even close to $1,900.00. The mount and balance place, and Alignment are just rough prices that people here and so cali charge, and these are top notch places for that price.

Just saying man, dealership stuck you man, but yeah I'd go straight to SM regarding the matter.

Good luck
Old 03-14-10, 10:26 PM
autobacks
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ItsChris et al,

I'm heading for the dealer tomorrow to file the complaint. I'll update you guys on what transpires.

So if these guys did rip me off on my tires......then what goes around comes around....if you have no ethics or integrity.......you screw yourself and it will come back to haunt you.....it's going to cost them more now having to replace the rims.....a net loss proposition for them.
Old 03-15-10, 01:01 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To say they're completely trashed looks to be an exaggeration IMO.
Old 03-15-10, 08:50 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be surprised if they give you new rims. The damage looks like something that can be fully addressed by refinishing it.

Of course if I was in your boat I would want them to give you new rims too.

Let us know what they do.
Old 03-15-10, 09:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, ask them to refinish the wheels. unlikely you will get new ones, but if they repair the wheels, they could look brand new too
Old 03-15-10, 06:43 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

First, those rims are trashed. They can not be refinished with that factory finish. I’m not surprised that the dealer did this. IMO, the dealer is not the place to have your tires touched period. DT type of stores does tires only all day long and they have to be very careful with this type of finish. The machine must be clean and even a new duck head should be used. This is what they will do, they will take your rims and replace yours with take offs. I would request that they get several sets to inspect even if they tell you they are new. They will send your trashed rims off to be chrome plated and sell them at an inflated price (don’t go for the chrome rims if they offer them to you). The chrome jobs are aftermarket mass process places that do not do what I would call quality chrome plated. The plating will corrode around the tired bead and leak over time. Quality chrome plating would not do this.

Oh, and the black is the primer under the painted surface.
I hope they take care of you

Last edited by GS2006; 03-15-10 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 07:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GS2006
First, those rims are trashed. They can not be refinished with that factory finish. I’m not surprised that the dealer did this. IMO, the dealer is not the place to have your tires touched period. DT type of stores does tires only all day long and they have to be very careful with this type of finish. The machine must be clean and even a new duck head should be used. This is what they will do, they will take your rims and replace yours with take offs. I would request that they get several sets to inspect even if they tell you they are new. They will send your trashed rims off to be chrome plated and sell them at an inflated price (don’t go for the chrome rims if they offer them to you). The chrome jobs are aftermarket mass process places that do not do what I would call quality chrome plated. The plating will corrode around the tired bead and leak over time. Quality chrome plating would not do this.

Oh, and the black is the primer under the painted surface.
I hope they take care of you
a good shop can easily restore the wheels back to like new for maybe 300 bucks, those are nothing to take out. some sanding and blend in painting is all it takes
Old 03-15-10, 07:14 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
a good shop can easily restore the wheels back to like new for maybe 300 bucks, those are nothing to take out. some sanding and blend in painting is all it takes
You have experience with this procedure? Please post some results on this type of rim.
Thanks
Old 03-15-10, 07:25 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl

Maybe something has changed recently, but I was under the impression that there was an issue with matching the paint. Not sure if it was an EPA issue or not.
Old 03-15-10, 07:52 PM
autobacks
Rookie

Rominl

Like GS2006 states.....Please do post a pic of what they look like if you do have it.

Quite frankly the real question is why should I pay the potential price of having the rims peel or fade in color over time? What happens 5 years from now and the rims start deteriorating in quality somehow? What recourse will I have? Do you have proof that the redone rims have the long term life that rivals the original OEM wheel?

Also why should the customer have to settle for an after market redo when I just gave them $1,900 to do a professional job. Now all of a sudden due to their incompetence I have to settle for an after market redo which will not be as good as direct from the factory? The OEM rims probably have the powder coat and paint treated at really high temperatures to get them really durable.......I doubt the after market repair guys are going to do this. Thoughts?
Old 03-15-10, 07:57 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make them fix it and make sure next time you check the car before you leave of dents and such. And to rominl, that is very untrue. I know a lot of techs at Lexus and they don't have any kind of degree. They've even told me personally they don't really care as long as you have some kind of knowledge.
Old 03-15-10, 08:23 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.
Senior Moderator

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Make them fix it and make sure next time you check the car before you leave of dents and such. And to rominl, that is very untrue. I know a lot of techs at Lexus and they don't have any kind of degree. They've even told me personally they don't really care as long as you have some kind of knowledge.
Every Lexus tech at my dealership is Master certified. I have been at this dealer for 2 years, and have never had any wheel related complaints. I was at my previous dealer for 7 years, also with no complaints. No one is perfect, but if the dealer did the damage, they will take care of it. The main problem is, you waited before reporting it. They may have done the damage, but its harder for them to accept responsibility due to the time elapsed. Talk to the service manage, be calm, and explain the situation. Im sure they will be willing to work with you.
Old 03-15-10, 08:40 PM
autobacks
Rookie

RTIS250

Actually very little time passed. I picked it up and when I got home within 2 hours I noticed the damage. I immediately emailed my service manager with a time and date stamp so that I was on record for having discovered it within 2 hours of leaving the dealership. I also followed up with pictures and this morning first thing I was at the dealership and walked the service advisor over to the car and showed them.

Bottom line is this, he said he needs to talk with his manager and she will make the call. If it does come to blows, I'll dispute the VISA charge.......I'll instruct my credit card company to not pay for the service. I doubt that it will come to this however....reasonable minds should prevail.
Old 03-15-10, 08:51 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

It is very apparent that the machine caused this damage. Most likely during un-mounting the tire. Another note, if they want to try and repair those rims, they will park your car on the back lot with it on stands. Don’t go for that either. Are those run flats? If so, you might want to express your concerns about them possible damaging your new tires when removing them from the rims. If they use the same tech, I would be concerned. All the best.
Old 03-15-10, 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

factory wheels are nothing that spectacular at all. although they are of pretty good quality, but i most definitely want people to understand that they are not superior. if you search this 3gs forum, you would have seen quite a few cases where members complain about their factory wheels peeling. in the isf forum you will also see people complaining about their wheels pitting as well.

factory wheels are actually just simply painted, period. the shop only needs to how correctly buff or sand out the damaged area, prime the area correctly, and apply good layers of paint. matching the paint is just like matching paint on body panels.

by comparison, repairing polished wheels and some other finish, it's far more challenging than repairing painted stock wheels. here are some threads

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...heir-rims.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...k-to-life.html

i have been to the same shop as well and i have seen some of the results, it's very amazing what these good shops are capable of. they can literally repair something that's no longer circle, so paint and finishing a stock wheels, it's really not that hard

Quick Reply: Rims completely thrashed by dealer!!!