GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rims completely thrashed by dealer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by autobacks
Rominl

Like GS2006 states.....Please do post a pic of what they look like if you do have it.

Quite frankly the real question is why should I pay the potential price of having the rims peel or fade in color over time? What happens 5 years from now and the rims start deteriorating in quality somehow? What recourse will I have? Do you have proof that the redone rims have the long term life that rivals the original OEM wheel?

Also why should the customer have to settle for an after market redo when I just gave them $1,900 to do a professional job. Now all of a sudden due to their incompetence I have to settle for an after market redo which will not be as good as direct from the factory? The OEM rims probably have the powder coat and paint treated at really high temperatures to get them really durable.......I doubt the after market repair guys are going to do this. Thoughts?
as i stated, don't even assume factory means it's the best. truth is, not always the case. lexus factory paint is good, but between all the body work i have seen, some body shops they do really sensational paint jobs and the finish is far more durable

of course, i am not putting down on your pursuit to get new replacement wheels. that's your call and it's totally up to you. but it's just like the case that if your car is in an accident that's not your fault, do you get your car fixed or are they giving you a new one? if it's minor damages, you likely get yours repaired

and again, the wheels are painted, not powder coated (if so, then they are doing a **** poor job). the wheels could be baked, if that's the "high temp treatment" you talk about, and that's done at any good body shops anyway.
Old 07-22-10, 09:37 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I already posted this in another thread but look what the dealer just did to my brand new rims. I really do not want a refinished wheel. Mine make your problem look like crying over spilt milk.

Old 07-22-10, 10:28 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BinaryJay - Did the dealer own up to it and promise to fix it?

Personally I wouldn't care if they refinish it. Looks the same if its done well. Both of my passenger side wheels have been refinished and nobody can tell.

However if they are truly brand new then you should push for replacement.
Old 07-22-10, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i hope they will fix it back to original condition soon like batman said, if they get a good shop to fix it, it will be just like new and the paint will stay forever. personally i think it's tough to get them to pay you a new one
Old 07-22-10, 11:41 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

On one of my visits to my dealership they managed to scrape the sides of one of my rims and put some scratches on the others. One thing I do before leaving the lot is inspect my car so I was able to show my service advisor the damages before I pulled off the lot and he took care of it immediately by having them sent out to get refinished, no hassle, no question just got it done. Now we walk the car to document any existing damage to the car when I am dropping it off and he personally drives the car into the stall and will oversee the removal and installation of the wheels to make sure his guys don't damage them (he knows how picky I am ) but more than that he treats my car as if it were his with the same care if not more than I have for it. My service advisor (Doug- Bell Lexus) is the bomb. I know he provides the same attention to detail with I8ABMR's car.

Hope it worked out for you.
Old 07-22-10, 12:23 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
On one of my visits to my dealership they managed to scrape the sides of one of my rims and put some scratches on the others. One thing I do before leaving the lot is inspect my car so I was able to show my service advisor the damages before I pulled off the lot and he took care of it immediately by having them sent out to get refinished, no hassle, no question just got it done. Now we walk the car to document any existing damage to the car when I am dropping it off and he personally drives the car into the stall and will oversee the removal and installation of the wheels to make sure his guys don't damage them (he knows how picky I am ) but more than that he treats my car as if it were his with the same care if not more than I have for it. My service advisor (Doug- Bell Lexus) is the bomb. I know he provides the same attention to detail with I8ABMR's car.

Hope it worked out for you.
that is key. i always do a walk over of my car before i leave the dealer. if you leave the dealer and find it when you get home, you will have a much harder time fighting it.
Old 07-22-10, 12:42 PM
ASILVER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mazda dealer did this on a 04 RX8 I used to have, they do it SO often they didn't even argue they just put on a new rim.
Old 07-22-10, 12:51 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG Jay ... that sucks. Curious, did they bring it to your attention or did you have to bring it to theirs? Obviously whoever was driving it knew. If the horrible scraping sound didn't give it away, the dust from the demolition should have.

Glad they're making it right anyway.
Old 07-22-10, 01:51 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CAK 500
OMG Jay ... that sucks. Curious, did they bring it to your attention or did you have to bring it to theirs? Obviously whoever was driving it knew. If the horrible scraping sound didn't give it away, the dust from the demolition should have.

Glad they're making it right anyway.
I had to call them about it. For some reason they dropped the car off while I was still away from home so I let them know as soon as I saw it. So far, nobody has called me back today since I sent them the email with the photos. I suppose I will leave it alone until tomorrow and then call and see what's going on.
Old 07-22-10, 02:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I had to call them about it. For some reason they dropped the car off while I was still away from home so I let them know as soon as I saw it. So far, nobody has called me back today since I sent them the email with the photos. I suppose I will leave it alone until tomorrow and then call and see what's going on.
They pick up and drop off your car? That would be impressive service if they didn't damage the car.

I'm shocked they didn't call you back. I would call the manager. I have found that service writers tend to be more likely to deny the issue hoping you go away. The managers are more likely to address the issue head on.

I hope they don't deny it.
Old 07-22-10, 03:16 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by batman75
They pick up and drop off your car? That would be impressive service if they didn't damage the car.

I'm shocked they didn't call you back. I would call the manager. I have found that service writers tend to be more likely to deny the issue hoping you go away. The managers are more likely to address the issue head on.

Yes, they pick up my car for service and drop it off. They have done this a number of times in the past when I haven't been able to bring it in and I didn't need use of a loaner and this is the first time I've had any problem with it. It is a great service, and the service people there have been very good about everything. My only complaint is that they aren't very good at keeping in touch with me, at least with the frequency I'd like.

They tend not to call unless they have something to tell me where I'm the kind of person that just likes to know if they are waiting on something even if they don't have any new information to give me. I got both the service manager and the service writer involved today so everybody knows that needs to at this point in time.

I assume that they haven't called me back because they are either waiting to find out from somebody higher up about what they can do, or perhaps they ordered a wheel and just didn't plan on calling me back until they have it in their hands. Either way I am going to call and "bug" them tomorrow morning.

I'm also a bit upset that the tire itself, also brand new, is somewhat chewed up but so far I have not expected them to replace that as well as it just looks like some minor cosmetic damage that probably won't really stand out once the rim is good again.
Old 07-22-10, 03:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by batman75

actually quite a few dealerships here in socal offer that kind of service as well, but i always deny it. i don't trust them at all
Old 07-22-10, 03:55 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
actually quite a few dealerships here in socal offer that kind of service as well, but i always deny it. i don't trust them at all
Yes. I think it might be the last time I let them take the car this way. It's very convenient but I'd rather go through the trouble and take a loaner from now on.
Old 07-22-10, 04:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they really should have a car damage checklist when you drop off your car, like rental car companies do. and you keep the carbon copy.

helps protect both parties.
Old 07-22-10, 04:44 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
they really should have a car damage checklist when you drop off your car, like rental car companies do. and you keep the carbon copy.

helps protect both parties.
My dealer does that. But they always try to say that bug marks are scratches. And I always make them sign the sheet with the car being clean or I refuse to drop it off.

Quick Reply: Rims completely thrashed by dealer!!!