GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DESPERATELY need help with REAR brakes ('07 GS350)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 04:17 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy DESPERATELY need help with REAR brakes ('07 GS350)

i have combed these forums but cannot find a DIY anywhere for the rear brakes on an '07 GS350. my local lexus dealer wanted $400+ to replace the rear brakes with semi-metallic pads, and since i prefer ceramic pads, i figured i would change them myself (i have done numerous brake jobs in the past, so i know what i am doing). after removing the old pads, i pushed the cylinder back on the caliper back and was able to slide the brake pad in without any issues. When i went to put the brake pads on in the front of the rotor (closest to you), the pad wouldnt fit since the space was to narrow. basically the "meat" of the pad was too thick and i couldnt get it to slide in. i called the store to make sure i had the wrong pads, the person i spoke to confirmed the pads i had were the wrong ones but had to special order the right ones. since i didnt want to deal with this place again, i went to another store and special ordered the pads. the pads came in and i picked them up. i went to put them on and i have the SAME EXACT issue now i am starting to doubt that i know what i am doing and that i am doing something wrong. i started to take the caliper itself off and decided not to since i do not think this is the right way to go. i dont think it makes sense to take the caliper off to put the pads on and not be able to tighten it back on all the way. i do have pictures i can upload if need be, but i dont think they are necessary. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
Old 03-14-10, 04:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at the IS350 rear brake in the FAQ section under the 2gen ISx50 section. Its the same caliper that you have. I have changed them on both my GS and the IS. Its really easy DIY.
Old 03-14-10, 05:23 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
Look at the IS350 rear brake in the FAQ section under the 2gen ISx50 section. Its the same caliper that you have. I have changed them on both my GS and the IS. Its really easy DIY.
thanks for the tip. after some digging, i found this IS rear brake pad DIY thread which was somewhat helpful. what may have been more helpful was this post about a seized slide pin i may have this issue
Old 03-14-10, 06:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Do you have a C clamp? It sounds like what your explaining is normal. You need to compress the piston to allow for the new pad. Normal for any brake change job. The rear caliper it self just pivots out so you do not remove both bolts. But even if you do this you wont be able to just place the new pads in with out compressing the piston.

If your not able to compress the piston then you may have something else going on.
Old 03-14-10, 06:36 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Do you have a C clamp? It sounds like what your explaining is normal. You need to compress the piston to allow for the new pad. Normal for any brake change job. The rear caliper it self just pivots out so you do not remove both bolts. But even if you do this you wont be able to just place the new pads in with out compressing the piston.

If your not able to compress the piston then you may have something else going on.
yes i have a c-clamp, and i am able to depress the piston 100%. as far as i know, the calipers in the back does not pivot out. according to the threads in the IS forum, our calipers are supposed to slide, which i cannot do.
Old 03-14-10, 06:39 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Hang on and I will find the thread we did with my IS350. I believe we had a pic of the caliper up. You have the same caliper the IS350 has. I think the IS250 does also but I never did a brake job on one.
Old 03-14-10, 06:43 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same exact problem i was trying to stick the new pad for hours with no luck. I went to my mechanic and he lubed it up and it wen't in with no problem. Not sure how long this lube will hol up but i am hoping for long. Basiclly unscrew the long 14mm bolts and lube it very good put everything back together and you should be good.
Old 03-14-10, 06:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

see if this helps...this was my car that we did this on.

LINK

Found a PDF I also had on the Rear for the GS. I hope these both help you out. You have the same rear caliper my car has.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 03-14-10, 08:21 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

see if this helps...this was my car that we did this on.

LINK

Found a PDF I also had on the Rear for the GS. I hope these both help you out. You have the same rear caliper my car has.
thanks for this.. i will look at it in the morning as no pictures are loading for me at the moment
Old 03-15-10, 08:32 AM
DaBeast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by varcity64
thanks for the tip. after some digging, i found this IS rear brake pad DIY thread which was somewhat helpful. what may have been more helpful was this post about a seized slide pin i may have this issue

Sometimes the pin can lock up. You may want to hit it with a rubber mallot to try to unfreeze it. This is not an uncommon problem.
Old 03-15-10, 05:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

so how did it go
Old 03-15-10, 06:18 PM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure to ALWAYS clean the slide pins with wire brush, or better on the grinder with wire brush wheel.
Old 03-18-10, 09:53 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

so how did it go
got no where.. my rear calipers do not slide as they should and i believe i my slide pin is seized so i made an appointment with lexus for next thursday night. now my car is out of the original factory warranty (59k miles) but i did purchase the extended lexus platinum warranty (3 yrs, 100k miles) so i dont think i will have an issue but i will bring a copy of Special Service Campaign 9LB with me. i will let you guys know what happens. thanks for all the help
Old 03-18-10, 11:53 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

On a related matter - do our cars ('07 GS350) have sensors that warn when the pads need replacing? I couldn't definitively find this information, and apologize if it's been covered before.
Thanks.
Old 03-18-10, 05:34 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear. Hope its an easy fix at the dealer. Post back what they find out.

Quick Reply: DESPERATELY need help with REAR brakes ('07 GS350)