GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 12:26 PM
LexFather

The only acceleration problem I have is I have a CVT and with endless torque when I floor it I can go as fast as it will take me
Old 03-15-10, 12:49 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lemme tell you its scary reading these messages, you guys are making it sound like the car has a mind of its own all of a sudden. its not funny if your doing 80mph on the highway and your car starts to bug out. thank god my gs has been good to me for the past 3 years =)
Old 03-15-10, 12:54 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Why do we see more complaints with the Americans?? Seems to me that many americans are dumb and not educated on how to shift cars into neutral nor how to drive a manual, or even check that their floormats are fastened. Anyone agree with me???? I am an american but at least me and majority on this board are more educated in how to control our cars. Right?
It's hard to say. I've found lots of people in North America just don't seem too interested in learning anything except what they are forced to. When I don't know about something, I research it until I am satified that I know enough about it. Most others people I know just don't care and prefer the "ignorance is bliss" approach.
Likewise, high schools are a joke. You learn stuff in grade 12 that people in other countries learn in grade 8 at the latest. Combine this with students who have no further acedemic goals and you get these overconfident "I'm always right even though I don't know anything" idiots that have these "problems."
While I am sure perhaps one or two of these people had actually had unintended acceleration (on cars using that non-Denso top hinged design), I still find it to be their fault that they didn't shift into neutral or hold the power button/apply the emergency brakes.

So I completely agree with you and would like to add some Canadians as well are like that. However, here it is extremely difficult to launch frivilous lawsuits (laws against it), so you get less of these reports.

Last edited by ivanz; 03-15-10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 01:01 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
lemme tell you its scary reading these messages, you guys are making it sound like the car has a mind of its own all of a sudden. its not funny if your doing 80mph on the highway and your car starts to bug out. thank god my gs has been good to me for the past 3 years =)
your right it can be scary but if that were to happen you simply put the car in neutral and shut it off.
Old 03-15-10, 02:42 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all BS. More then half the people with these issues are the elder and or incompetient drivers. Look at the way the US hands out driver license already explains it all. 06 GS with 100k or soon to be 100k and no issues. It's all these people not wanting to take the blame for their mistake and point fingers at the car so they can make money in these hard times.
Old 03-15-10, 03:07 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I will offer this to any 2007+ GS350 owners with Nav and ML and less than 20k miles.......since there are no reports of the 06 gs300 doing this, I will swap cars with you if you are willing to do so
Old 03-15-10, 03:21 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
I'll look past it. Even with all the "reports" of the Toyota pedal issues, I'm still not convienced.

Some how my mind tells me that the government/media is out to get all the Japanese manufactures so that people would HAVE to turn back to the American manufactures. Why? The government wants to see the money from the bailout returned. Toyota's pedal problems, Honda's airbags, and Nissan's brake pedal on the larger SUVs.

I would like to see the actual reported dates of the incidents. Some of it was due to "floor mats," which I find it hard to believe as well. If the anchors are in place properly, then it shouldn't slide around.
What a coincidence... That's what I've been thinking about with this whole Toyota issue. The way I look at it, I hope the media keeps beating up on the subject. My wife and I are considering a Corolla or a Prius for another commuter car. It's hard to ignore the great deals going on right now.
Old 03-15-10, 03:27 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
What a coincidence... That's what I've been thinking about with this whole Toyota issue. The way I look at it, I hope the media keeps beating up on the subject. My wife and I are considering a Corolla or a Prius for another commuter car. It's hard to ignore the great deals going on right now.
i see that too. I was wanting to pick up a 2011 Sienna with the bells and whistles but they are not giving any deals on that. Might have to resort to the 2010 Highlander...dammit.
Old 03-15-10, 05:12 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Here is another complaint that needs to be filed:

[QUOTE=autobacks;5313039]Okay All,

Here they come!!! I think our GS's are not exempt from the acceleration problem!!!!!

Read below at several complaints that have been posted on the NHTSA site

This is a good source to look for complaints that have been registered.

What should we do all!!!!!?????

Here is another complaint that needs to be filed:

I own a 2007 GS350 RWD, and it will not stop on wet pavement, dry pavement with wet tires, or in the snow, when the idle RPM is around 1000 or higher. While trying to come to a slow, gradual, stop the front wheels completely lock up while the rear wheels continue to push the car forward. Just when you think the car is about to stop it just keeps going. If you shift the car to neutral, while the car is sliding, the car stops immediately. You can press down the brake pedal as hard as you can, while the car is sliding, and eventually the ABS kicks in and stops the car, however putting the car in neutral stops the car immediately. It has only happened while attempting to come to a gradual stop at an intersection, or while slowly pulling into a parking spot or garage (I ran into the end of my garage). This problem can happen in reverse or drive. It is hard to duplicate the issue with the dealer because it only happens on a cold start in wet conditions, and the brakes work properly once the idle RPM drops to the normal operating range of around 500; it can take 10-15 minutes for the idle RPM to drop to around 500. The dealer states that this is just a characteristic of a rear wheel drive vehicle, more brake pressure is required, and the brake system checks out fine. I have owned several rear wheel drive vehicles in the past, have never had this problem before, and should not have to push on the brake pedal as hard as I can because the idle RPM is at 1500 or 1200 or 1000 instead of 750 or 500. Neither the dealer nor Lexus have requested, or will let me present to them, any of my detailed notes of when it occurs, and will not try to duplicate the problem with me in valid conditions. Lexus and the dealer just connect their computer to the car, and tell me the car checks out; although, some error codes, which were not fully explained to me, did come up on the computer scan last time. There is definitely something wrong with this car!
Old 03-15-10, 07:04 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Truthfully with all of these allegations, I would still firmly buy another GS without any hesitation because I love the car and it makes me wonder why the media always wants to bring a giant to its knees, Amazing.
Old 03-15-10, 08:00 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=helpmeout1;5315448]
Originally Posted by autobacks
Okay All,

Here they come!!! I think our GS's are not exempt from the acceleration problem!!!!!

I own a 2007 GS350 RWD, and it will not stop on wet pavement, dry pavement with wet tires, or in the snow, when the idle RPM is around 1000 or higher. While trying to come to a slow, gradual, stop the front wheels completely lock up while the rear wheels continue to push the car forward. Just when you think the car is about to stop it just keeps going. If you shift the car to neutral, while the car is sliding, the car stops immediately. You can press down the brake pedal as hard as you can, while the car is sliding, and eventually the ABS kicks in and stops the car, however putting the car in neutral stops the car immediately. It has only happened while attempting to come to a gradual stop at an intersection, or while slowly pulling into a parking spot or garage (I ran into the end of my garage). This problem can happen in reverse or drive. It is hard to duplicate the issue with the dealer because it only happens on a cold start in wet conditions, and the brakes work properly once the idle RPM drops to the normal operating range of around 500; it can take 10-15 minutes for the idle RPM to drop to around 500. The dealer states that this is just a characteristic of a rear wheel drive vehicle, more brake pressure is required, and the brake system checks out fine. I have owned several rear wheel drive vehicles in the past, have never had this problem before, and should not have to push on the brake pedal as hard as I can because the idle RPM is at 1500 or 1200 or 1000 instead of 750 or 500. Neither the dealer nor Lexus have requested, or will let me present to them, any of my detailed notes of when it occurs, and will not try to duplicate the problem with me in valid conditions. Lexus and the dealer just connect their computer to the car, and tell me the car checks out; although, some error codes, which were not fully explained to me, did come up on the computer scan last time. There is definitely something wrong with this car!
The above statement is very true. I remmember on a cold start i started driving and it was snowing. I hit the brake to stop but the car keep pushing it i even opened my door and let of the brake and hit it back again and i seen my front wheel sliding while in idle holding brake. Only happens when snowing. Honestly i hate that stupid 1k idle till normal operating temperature. Never had that on any of my previous car's nissan acura. I asked my friend that owned a 95 ls400 that confirmed it takes the arrow to the middle till the rpms drop to normal operating temperature.
Old 03-15-10, 08:31 PM
autobacks
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Helpmeout1 and GS350Lexus

I live in California so I haven't experienced anything remotely as scary as that!!! WOW, I think you guys need to keep escalating til you get to someone at corporate that can take care of that.....you guys could easily run over someone in the snow at a cross walk or something. Think about if you were in front of a train crossing or something like that?!
Old 03-15-10, 08:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=helpmeout1;5315448]
Originally Posted by autobacks
Okay All,

good luck with it buddy. Be safe
Old 03-15-10, 08:46 PM
Dez
Driver

Yikes! Glad I don't live in the snow.. GL
Old 03-15-10, 08:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience with people in general is that a lot of people (not a majority, but a lot) cannot take responsibility for their mistakes. I have often seen people make math errors in spreadsheets and then blame excel when I called them on it. I would then show them the error they made and they would deny programming the cell that way and continue to blame it on excel.

It's the same with drivers, and the difference is it only takes a handful of people out of every million to turn this into the high profile media frenzy.

My reaction to these incidents is that these complaints are mostly people blaming the car for their accident and not taking responsibility. Many people find it shameful and embarrassing to admit they crashed their car. It's so much easier to pretend to be the victim and blame the car.

Bottom line - those complaints are not worth the paper they are written on.

Quick Reply: Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!