GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 11:10 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by autobacks
Helpmeout1 and GS350Lexus

I live in California so I haven't experienced anything remotely as scary as that!!! WOW, I think you guys need to keep escalating til you get to someone at corporate that can take care of that.....you guys could easily run over someone in the snow at a cross walk or something. Think about if you were in front of a train crossing or something like that?!
I mean it's really not out of control crazy. U can throw it in neutral or just hit the brake harder then usual. Which is kinda disturbing. My way out of this is just to warm up the car to normal operating temperature which could take 7-10 mins and i should be fine. Unless i wouldnt give a **** and floor it while its cold. But thanks i would love to get out of NYC and come to CA.
Old 03-16-10, 04:22 AM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Floormats

I have never heard anything official from Lexus regarding not using floormats. But a few months ago when I took my GS in for a routine oil change. When I went to get in my car, all the floor mats were removed and in the back seat. I have that standard mats that attach to the floor and clear mats on top. When I asked the service rep to replace them, he said his techs are forbidded to drive the cars with floor mats and that is why they were removed.

Makes me wonder why if the service techs know this, how come they did not instruct me not to use the mats.
Old 03-16-10, 06:32 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stefnee
I have never heard anything official from Lexus regarding not using floormats. But a few months ago when I took my GS in for a routine oil change. When I went to get in my car, all the floor mats were removed and in the back seat. I have that standard mats that attach to the floor and clear mats on top. When I asked the service rep to replace them, he said his techs are forbidded to drive the cars with floor mats and that is why they were removed.

Makes me wonder why if the service techs know this, how come they did not instruct me not to use the mats.
Clear mats on top? Huh, why do you have two sets of floor mats at the same time?

Personally I just use the black GS winter mats year round. I find they look sharp and they take care of rain just as well as snow. It's too bad they wouldn't replace the regular carpet floor mats for us because mine are wasted.
Old 03-16-10, 09:23 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=GS350Lexus;5316106]
Originally Posted by helpmeout1

The above statement is very true. I remmember on a cold start i started driving and it was snowing. I hit the brake to stop but the car keep pushing it i even opened my door and let of the brake and hit it back again and i seen my front wheel sliding while in idle holding brake. Only happens when snowing. Honestly i hate that stupid 1k idle till normal operating temperature. Never had that on any of my previous car's nissan acura. I asked my friend that owned a 95 ls400 that confirmed it takes the arrow to the middle till the rpms drop to normal operating temperature.
I had a 2001 GS 430, and never had any problem stopping. My 01 would stop on a dime, no matter what the idle RPM or road condition was. My 01 had hydraulic brakes, and not electronic.
Old 03-16-10, 09:49 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
My experience with people in general is that a lot of people (not a majority, but a lot) cannot take responsibility for their mistakes. I have often seen people make math errors in spreadsheets and then blame excel when I called them on it. I would then show them the error they made and they would deny programming the cell that way and continue to blame it on excel.

It's the same with drivers, and the difference is it only takes a handful of people out of every million to turn this into the high profile media frenzy.

My reaction to these incidents is that these complaints are mostly people blaming the car for their accident and not taking responsibility. Many people find it shameful and embarrassing to admit they crashed their car. It's so much easier to pretend to be the victim and blame the car.

Bottom line - those complaints are not worth the paper they are written on.
I agree with you, Batman. There are a lot of people out there just trying to get an early retirement from a lawsuit.

The damage that occurred to my property and vehicle is minimal. The issue with the brake system not working properly is huge!

I want Lexus to fix the brakes. I love my GS (dash noise, flaking chrome wheels, malfunctioning stereo, choice between excessive brake dust or brake squeal, paint corrosion under the gas cap, etc., etc., and all), it is the car I wanted to get, and am not looking forward to dumping it because Lexus won’t fix their problems.
Old 03-16-10, 10:25 AM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read the issue with the snow and having the rear wheels continue to spin. Sounds like the bias on the brakes isn't strong enough to keep the rear wheels from spinning at idle. Would switching the throttle button to snow help that issue and apply more brake pressure in the rear?

On a more technical aspect, I believe it's the high torque at low RPM, the low temperature of the fluid in the torque converter keeping it more solid then fluid with the combination of the front brake bias making the rear spin. A small recommendation is to run a slightly more agressive brake pad in the rear as a bandaid or see if the fluid can be changed out to something more adaptive to your local tempuratures.
Old 03-16-10, 10:43 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RWD= Winter tires??? Anyone?? Seriously.
Old 03-16-10, 02:52 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I find it very intersting that Toyota/Lexus are sold all over the world, but only owners in the lawsuit-happy USA have terrible problems with their car.

Remeber about 15 years ago all of asudden people strted finding needles in their Coke cans? Or a a human finger in the Wendy's soup?

I bet 90% of these Toyota complaints are pure fraud, the other 10% are BS.
Old 03-16-10, 03:19 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Net Junky,

Thanks for the recommendations!

The snow button doesn't help unfortunately.

Larger rotors or more aggressive pads in the rear may be one of the easier solutions.

Rexus300,

Snow tires don’t help; I tried.
Old 03-16-10, 04:02 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
Net Junky,

Thanks for the recommendations!

The snow button doesn't help unfortunately.

Larger rotors or more aggressive pads in the rear may be one of the easier solutions.

Rexus300,

Snow tires don’t help; I tried.
Yikes, then I would worry a bit. I hope you get this resolved.Enjoy the Lexus as much as you can though.
Old 03-16-10, 04:05 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lets hope this is BS
Old 03-16-10, 06:34 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I had a related situation where on a slight (maybe 5%) incline going 65 MPH, the car would downshift into 4th. I narrowed down the scenario to when I was using cruise control. But w/o cruise control on, the car would not downshift to maintain speed (as it shouldn't need to).

Bottom line: Took the car to the dealer but they couldn't duplicate the problem. But they did upload the latest software upgrade into the car and haven't had the problem since.

I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid with what Toyota is saying regarding sudden acceleration. Read BusinessWeek and WSJ articles on the subject...it's a software problem.
Old 03-16-10, 06:38 PM
enigmaos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep us posted.
Old 03-17-10, 07:43 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chancellor
lets hope this is BS
I really wish this was BS!!!
Old 03-18-10, 07:28 AM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all complete BS and all its doing is making the value of our cars go down QUICK! one of the reason i choose lexus over MB was resale value.... Now im starting to wonder if i should trade the car off before it drops more.... I work in auto finance and right now every Toyota product is suffering bad because of this....

Quick Reply: Here we go!! We do have the acceleration problem!!!