GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

I've had it with Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 08:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

If you hate the car get rid of it. if it's a lease, trade the lease. If you bought it then trade it in. Perhaps I'm missing the problem here.
Old 03-15-10, 08:43 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ramair57
If you guys think this is some conspiracy -how come no reports have been made about Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Merecedes, Audi, Jaguar, etc etc etc.
Really? So all the reports about Kias and Hyundais having issues in the past are now to simply be ignored? Jaguar never made a bad car? Come on, let's play fair. Jaguar had some SERIOUS quality issues that it is just now starting to overcome as a whole.

How dare anyone trivialize the loss of lives; someones sister, brother, mother, etc etc has passed because of a blatantly dangerous design.Wake up guys, Toyota has manufactured dangerous cars.
No. Toyota has a manufacturing defect that it is addressing. **** poor drivers can have accidents in tanks, too. No one has trivialized a loss of life - they are accepting the fact that is a manufactured product. There are going to be problems when people are involved, because no one is perfect. I think you have to take into account that not knowing how to properly operate a motor vehicle has to come into play, though. Even if the accelerator gets stuck, you can pull the car into neutral or shut the car off - both eliminating the physical capability of the car to accelerate. These are facts and cannot be disputed. Are the deaths tragic? Absolutely. Are they preventable? Again, absolutely. This has been proven. Also, the brakes have shown to be able to overcome the engine's power, even with the pedal to the floor. Can you address this with certainty that driver error wasn't present, and that they were, in fact hitting the brakes when they said they were? No, without a shadow of a doubt, you cannot.

This is my first Lexus; a brand new GS 350, and I will NEVER own another. From the dash rattling since day one, to the driver door that doesnt seem to want to shut correctly, to the inexplicable fogging of all my windows EVERY time it is cold outside, to the seat heaters that just dont work - this is the worst quality new car I have ever owned. If anything, I say the "quality" image of Toyota and Lexus is the conspiracy here, not the other way around. My BMW 5 series NEVER had an issue; if you dont want to buy American, so be it, but dont pretend Lexus is still a good car. Buy a BMW, Merc, Audi, or Jag; I certainly will
Windows fogging is a defect? The laws of physics aren't supposed to apply to your vehicle because it's yours? Perhaps the seals in the Lexus are better, thereby containing the heat in the vehicle, thus creating the condition where it fogs? You are aware of how fog on glass works, right? Warm air inside, cold air outside, windows fog. If the air was getting in and cooling the interior to the same temperature, this would eliminate the problem. Blaming seals for doing their job seems ridiculous to me, but let's move on.

I can certainly appreciate the rattling and door problems, but again, it's a manufactured product. It sucks that yours has some problems, but every single car company has issues from time to time. Lexus still makes a good product. This isn't a zero sum game, and I think that's where people misunderstand. Just because BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Chevy, Ford, Jaguar, and Kia/Hyundai have improved their quality doesn't mean Lexus has declined. It's not as though there are 200 points available to be divided, and when one goes up, the others must come down.

Please understand - I'm not a "drink the Kool-Aid" person who has blind loyalty. I thoroughly enjoy my cars, and can see (and admit) when there is a problem. Many people didn't like my previous vehicles, yet I had zero problems with mine because I maintained it well. The usual mechanical difficulties crept in, but those couldn't be helped. Is this that? No, it's not, but how is it fair to taint an entire line of cars based on a design flaw that an external company was involved in?

Toyota has some quality issues that it needs to address, and it is doing so in short order. How many times has a manufacturer shut down a plant so that it can get the right parts in and ensure that the issues go no further? I don't remember a lot of them doing that - foreign OR domestic.

Big Mack
Old 03-15-10, 08:46 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you on the use of cheap plastics, but remember this car was launched in 2005 and in that year it was better than the BMW and Mercedes models at that time. It is only recently that the interior quality has been pipped by others.

On the accelerator, the accelerator on this car is designed properly. It is the same type you would find in a BMW. If you don't recognise that then you don't know much about cars.

I am driving my first Lexus after 4 consecutive BMWs and I really think it is a better product.
Old 03-15-10, 08:52 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ramair,

No car is perfect. No matter if you buy Mercedes, Audi, BMW, or Lexus. I have all 4 of them in my garage and each have its own quirks. But I appreciate them and I value them. I don't complain nor whine. Also, Lexus will not be recalled at all since they use different pedals and parts from toyota these days with the exception of the ES350 and HS250. I have people working for Lexus corporation and there is no overalap in the acceleration mechanism or chip on the GS with the toyotas. That is a fact!
Old 03-15-10, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's pretty funny to see threads like this every now and then. to me, i don't understand why frustrated or conspired owners are here talking and creating threads. if you have problem with the car, sell it and never come back, simple. don't say it's impossible or whatever, if you want to do it, then you can do it. i got my 02 tls and found out it a pos on tranny, 18k miles later, i sold the car, period. if you think safety is that big of a deal and that your car is affected, you will sell it.

as much as it's a possibility that there could be problems with the accelerators on lexus (or gs in particular), but until there are official words, then your words are nothing more than pure conspiracy as well. do not tell me "trust me it will happen", your words really don't mean much more to me. what you do is nothing more than pure assumption and conspiracy, and honestly, a lot of times that's what americans are being driven on.

and if it's not enough? take a look here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ts-merged.html

want more conspiracy? if anything, there could be such on BOTH sides of the court. if you are not smart enough to think clear then it's just not that... not smart

and also, maybe you ought to pay more attention to the accelerator design. do you realize all the pedals being recalled right now are hinged at the top, and pedals on the gs (or ls) are hinged at the bottom, making it pretty darn different in terms of design? i am not saying it won't have issues, but there is almost no similarities

and so it then comes to all the quality issues? really, please, come on give me a break. if you want to start talking about all the rattles and squeaks and all the little problems, frankly, i agree 3gs has quite some issues but it's far from the top of the list. my bmw has far more rattles and squeaks than the 3gs day in day out. my friend's infiniti is inferiror with rattles. i know mb sl owners who ends up driving c class loaners more than his sl.

of course, it could all be your experience, your bmw and mb were better and your lexus is having problem. i know cases like that too. sure, i don't doubt that. but then for some reason a lot of the consumer reports (surveys on hundreds of people) show that lexus quality is still pretty up there

before you actually try to call out, if you dig through my posts you will see that i have been confronting lexus on their quality. yes, their quality has gone down, no double, been saying that since 2006 when hardly anyone started that conversation. but that doesn't mean suddenly toyota and lexus are inferior products and one toyota has problem then all do
Old 03-15-10, 08:58 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Wow, I was assuming a Lexus forum would have some degree of intellect involved with the postings. I guess I will no longer make such assumptions. Put me down all you wish, but my points about my car are valid nonetheless. Is it acceptable for a brand new almost 55K car to squeek like a Fischer Price wagon? It is embarassing when my passengers ask me "what is that noise?". I have had more problems on this car than any Ive ever owned, and its only been several months. Based on statistics, I realize I will almost positively never encounter an acceleration problem. However, that does not excuse the countless other problems Ive encountered with this car (see original post for "the list" of Lexus quality). I've owned BMW, Merc, and now Lexus...rest assured guys, the difference is HUGE.

I think you're getting "put down" because of the way you approached it. You bash Lexus vehicles on a Lexus forum. What kind of reaction were you expecting? A large majority of us obviously like our cars, so I'm not sure what you really wanted.

As for being able to get out of the car...you have two options...you can either keep complaining or find a way to get out of the lease. I'm pretty sure if you quirk out at the dealer like you did on here..you'd be able to get out.

Just incase you're afraid though...here's how to save your life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT07_JbnKWQ

Just remember not to panic
Old 03-15-10, 10:17 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a vibrating rear view mirror and my brakes just started to squeak after almost 30000 highway-driven miles. I want a recall!!
Old 03-15-10, 10:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
I have a vibrating rear view mirror and my brakes just started to squeak after almost 30000 highway-driven miles. I want a recall!!
search is your friend. there is already a tsb on both of these.
Old 03-15-10, 10:22 AM
LexFather

Smell the coffee, our cars are just as prone to the shoddy accelerator design as any other Toyota. How can you guys ignore this?? This is not something trivial like a squeeky dash or the "use of cheap plastics on the door". This is a serious problem with an ACCELERATOR!! Conspiracy...are u kidding me?? Give me a break? Toyota has come forward and admitted they screwed up - right from the mouth of the CEO. This is no joke; this is a matter where people are losing lives. How dare anyone trivialize the loss of lives; someones sister, brother, mother, etc etc has passed because of a blatantly dangerous design. If you guys think this is some conspiracy -how come no reports have been made about Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Merecedes, Audi, Jaguar, etc etc etc. Wake up guys, Toyota has manufactured dangerous cars. This is my first Lexus; a brand new GS 350, and I will NEVER own another. From the dash rattling since day one, to the driver door that doesnt seem to want to shut correctly, to the inexplicable fogging of all my windows EVERY time it is cold outside, to the seat heaters that just dont work - this is the worst quality new car I have ever owned. If anything, I say the "quality" image of Toyota and Lexus is the conspiracy here, not the other way around. My BMW 5 series NEVER had an issue; if you dont want to buy American, so be it, but dont pretend Lexus is still a good car. Buy a BMW, Merc, Audi, or Jag; I certainly will
Wow, you have the car only from Dec 2009 and you have "had it with Lexus" I think some people reluctantly buy a Lexus b/c it is BETTER and when there is the first sign of trouble they tell the world their Lexus sucks.

I don't recall Lexus ever saying in 20 years they were perfect or made the perfect car. Every Lexus I've had has an issue or two or three. However I am still beyond a very happy owner.

Please don't act like the BMW 5 series didn't have issues. Its reliability is or rather lack of it, is well documented.

Sadly some people get some Lexus that just have more problems than the norm. However trying to mix issues with a recall the GS is not even remotely related to is a red herring arguement to start a big flaming attention getting thread.

Just sell the car and tell everyone you know that Lexus sucks.

Old 03-15-10, 10:33 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rider
SELL you car and stop whining.
Couldn't have said it better.....
Old 03-15-10, 10:46 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't agree with the OP at all...let me say that first.

The OP never stated whether he had an AWD or not. I can't be certain when comparing it to the RWD or the H...but my AWD's accelerator pedal is hinged at the top. Not that this matters, just want to make that clarification.

As for the windows fogging up. Try turning your A/C on...at all times. This, along with allowing outside air into the cabin will eliminate all fogged windows. I guaran-damn-tee you on that one. That's not a Lexus problem, that's user error. If you live in a humid climate you have to know that, unless you just moved there from Phoenix.

Just because you have a lease doesn't mean you're "locked" into anything. Sell the POS...in your words, not mine. You'll take a loss, because it's a lease and you would be getting out early, but again, that's your fault for getting into a lease.
Old 03-15-10, 11:47 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyxboi
Just incase you're afraid though...here's how to save your life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT07_JbnKWQ

Just remember not to panic
Good video. Hopefully, a good that can come from the publicity will be more people being aware of the steps to take.

I remember seeing the news about the Lexus floormat incident and shaking my head thinking how could the person have not tried this and not tried that?

I had an incident with my GS recently that I'm not sure what to do with. I know now that panic, even on a small scale, can be difficult to fully account for. I also know it's a damn good thing that I had seen the instruction to first put the car in neutral. I can't sit here today and say I'm 100% sure what I would have done.

I backed my GS onto a recently painted garage floor. To prevent paint from sticking to the tires and pulling off the floor, I got out and put cardboard disks in front of each tire. I got back in to roll the car forward a foot or so. When the back tires got on the cardboard, I guess the traction control system had a complete flip out. The cardboard shot out and hit the back wall of the garage and the engine was revved up and the back tires were spinning even though I had both feet on the brake pedal. I nearly crapped my pants. Partly because of the fairly recent news, I gathered myself and shifted into neutral. The engine was at about 3,000 RPM. I killed it and searched the floor for my heart.

Just a small taste of what someone would go through in an incident at high-speed and in traffic. I felt it gave me some perspective.

I don't know what to do with it. I suspect it may not be repeatable...some perfect confluence of parameters and circumstances.
Old 03-15-10, 11:54 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

To the op:
Please do some research before making a total *** of yourself. You are either a simpleton or very naive. I'm not saying that to insult you, but from the looks of your post, it would imply that. Your other problems are easily solved by either the dealer for free or by you reading your manual.

And even if your theory was true, you would have a better chance of winning a multi million dollar lottery ticket or being struck by lightning/tornado than you would having a car that has this issue (assuming it does in the first place).
Old 03-15-10, 11:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

And with that, this thread is done.