GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wheels and tires stolen

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 10:36 PM
tyhouston
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I hope you get this sorted soon. Good luck buddy
If I still have rubbing after having the fenders shaved, the shop where I bought these will replace them, its been 3 weeks as of today since I had them stolen, at this point I just want some closure and peace of mind, its not our daily driver, she actually drives my h2 more, we have teenage boys,and yes they where highly influential in my selection of wheels(22's)...We will see, if it doesnt rub will keep, if not they have a set of 20 inch giovanna f7's that will work, thanks for all the input, this is a fast forum!
Old 03-16-10, 10:37 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

damn, Im sorry to see that...
Old 03-16-10, 10:48 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tyhouston
I'm having an alarm installed that has a "jack" sensor and the alarm will activate if the front rear or sides are elevated, but I am worried, unless you have had this happen to you, its hard to describe the feeling
i would recommend that you get the following:

1) pager that goes with your alarm (alarm goes off, you know your ride is tampered with)
2) mechanical or electronic hood lock (thieves can't pop your hood to disconnect the alarm to the battery)
3) back up siren with backup battery in the wheel well (just in case they do get to the alarm in the hood and kill it)
4) optional - lojack or gps tracking system

that should keep your car/wheels moderately safe. the only way they can steal your wheels (or your car for that matter) is if they towed your car away. but if you have your pager with you, you'd know right away and can phone the police. good luck
Old 03-16-10, 10:53 PM
tyhouston
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i would recommend that you get the following:

1) pager that goes with your alarm (alarm goes off, you know your ride is tampered with)
2) mechanical or electronic hood lock (thieves can't pop your hood to disconnect the alarm to the battery)
3) back up siren with backup battery in the wheel well (just in case they do get to the alarm in the hood and kill it)
4) optional - lojack or gps tracking system

that should keep your car/wheels moderately safe. the only way they can steal your wheels (or your car for that matter) is if they towed your car away. but if you have your pager with you, you'd know right away and can phone the police. good luck
food for thought...love your work wheels btw...nice
Old 03-17-10, 12:30 AM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beez43
but a car slammed on air suspension can very well stop wheels from being stolen.. Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident.. hope those guys get it one way or another..
i second that...you cant even tow my car away
Old 03-17-10, 12:37 AM
chachirims
Rookie

Damm that sucks. I have a set of 20 gorilla locks on my whip just in case.
Old 03-17-10, 12:49 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it seems like its time to move... your car too nice for that Neighborhood...
Old 03-17-10, 04:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Partly my fault because I didn't check to see if the wheels had locks, suffice to say they didn't.
not your fault at all. you shouldnt have to worry about that but sadly now a days you do.

ive always put 2 different sets of wheel locks on my car. i know it wont stop them but it will help slow them down a bit.
Old 03-17-10, 06:45 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what the cops told me, and they got a set of 22's from a dealership 3 blocks from me, I was amazed at how often this happens
Well, the lock makes it harder for them and it also depend how the lock is design. Mine, the inside pattern and outside is smooth. Hard for them to have a grip outside and the pattern is almost impossible to match.

So, if I lost the key it'll be hell for me to take off the wheel too. LOL
Old 03-17-10, 07:43 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey quick question. Always wondered if someone stole your custom wheels, hows does insurance handle it. Providing you did not have the custom insurance add-on.

Did they gave you the full value for your custom or factory wheels and tires?
Old 03-17-10, 08:13 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
Well, the lock makes it harder for them and it also depend how the lock is design. Mine, the inside pattern and outside is smooth. Hard for them to have a grip outside and the pattern is almost impossible to match.

So, if I lost the key it'll be hell for me to take off the wheel too. LOL
It doesn't really matter what the pattern is because there are universal keys which just use a series of small rods that you push into the lock. Only the the rods that fit in, will go in, so it basically takes the shape of any depression.

Kind of like jamming a potato on there... part of the potato goes in, and part of it doesn't. Now don't get any ideas, the potato will break so don't waste any food trying it for yourself.

It's like the kryptonite motorcycle lock scandal of a few years ago that I went through. I had a kryptonite rotor lock and then one day some genius discovered that you could open any kryptonite lock, which at the time had the circular locks, with a bic pen shell which was just the perfect size to jam in there and turn. I tried it out on mine with one of a hundred such pens laying around the house and lo and behold it popped right open without the key.

If you ask me, the hub itself should be what locks the wheels to the car and the lock mechanism should use a standard key type system covered by a weatherproof door on the backside of the hub or something. Of course, the kind of change would be super slow to adopt.
Old 03-17-10, 08:39 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^Bin, U make it sound like a batmobile security system, but that too got override. :rofl:

I'm not sure a universal key is strong enough to turn my security lugnut. Anyway, it is not 100% but it does make it harder. It's probably easier for them to tow the whole car. LOL Of course they have to steal a tow truck first. LOL

The only 100% that your car won't get stole/broken/etc is to not have a car in the first place, but than that's stupid talking. :rofl:
Old 03-17-10, 11:25 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

food for thought...love your work wheels btw...nice
thx!!!!!
Old 03-17-10, 02:54 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

that sucks man, sorry to hear that, i hope karma get them in the end.

You guys know the saying; "if they want your car/wheels, there gonna get it somehow"
Old 03-17-10, 03:28 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

sorry to see that happened.. i know how it is.

Originally Posted by TriniGS
Hey quick question. Always wondered if someone stole your custom wheels, hows does insurance handle it. Providing you did not have the custom insurance add-on.

Did they gave you the full value for your custom or factory wheels and tires?
i had an acura which was stolen & stripped twice before.. in my case, insurance covered pretty much everthing, but my premium skyrocketed. i guess it really depends on how much you have to pay or how much you paid for the wheels, but i rather have the insurance cover the price of stocks and suck up the difference than raising the premium..

Quick Reply: Wheels and tires stolen