GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

30k Miles Check-up Cost $614. What do You think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 08:56 PM
AlDavison
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
what a rip

just let them do the oil change only.
The dealer now charges $56 for an oil change. They went up $30 over night.

--Al
Old 03-22-10, 03:57 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

It's like a game everytime I go to my dealership in Tampa. I always wonder what ridiculous quote they will give me. I got smart and took it to Toyota. Yeah, the lobby there sucks and no loaner car, but they don't look at you as a fat wallet. My dealership is very very greedy. And the worst part is I know how to do car repair. I'm just lazy. lol. I did do my all four corners of my brakes in about 25 minutes after the dealership gave me some jacked up quote though.
Old 03-22-10, 05:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AlDavison
The dealer now charges $56 for an oil change. They went up $30 over night.

--Al
keep your eyes peeled for walmart oil deals.

sometimes you can get oil free or cheap after rebate, and if you bring your own oil, you just pay $30 labor at the stealership
Old 03-22-10, 05:37 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I think this price is way too much.

60K at a reputable local shop (which includes changing almost all fluids) cost me $200 less than your quote for 30K.
Old 03-22-10, 10:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

the stealers are hungry these days.

they want an extra $55 to rotate the tires.
Old 03-23-10, 02:22 PM
nik951gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you guys, I just checked with escondido lexus down in san diego and they quoted me ~ $105 for an oil change and tire rotation. Since when did reg maintenance get so damn expensive?
Old 03-24-10, 12:30 AM
JB327
Driver School Candidate

I bought the oil filter at Toyota dealership. ~$5

I bought the Penzoil fully synthetic oil from Walmart. Bought the jug version. ~$30

I paid a local mechanic to change my oil for $15 labor.

So total comes out to be ~$50 for me. But if you want DIY, it's only going to be $35 for an oil change. And if you don't go fully synthetic, it's even cheaper.
Old 03-24-10, 05:50 PM
AlDavison
Driver

Arrow What do you think?

I really love my Lexus and I am fortunate to own two of them. However, this is very tempting .......> http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx

My father in-law bought a 740 BMW and it fell apart. He bought it new and it was like new when he got rid of it. He bought a new RX330 and he said that he will never look back. He had it two year now and he continue to say how he love his Lexus.

No maintenance cost for a BMW up to 4 years is tempting though. He tells me not to do it.

What do you think because $600 is a lot of money for basic maintenance? We have to do it again and again?
--Al
Old 03-25-10, 08:57 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

No maintenance cost for a BMW up to 4 years is tempting though.

What do you think because $600 is a lot of money for basic maintenance? We have to do it again and again?
--Al
Not really, because you have already paid in advance; BMW & MB usually cost is $5k~$10k more than Lexus... so no it is NOT FREE !!!

And if you are planning to keep it after 4 years, then you are SCREWED!!!

European vehicles is only good to lease not to keep, they start to fall apart the second you drive out the chopshop (dealership)... My M3 and S500 had spent more time in the service bays longer than in my garage, never again I would purchase another European vehicles... EXCEPT EXOTIC ONES, do not have to worry about that till I turn 40 (some time I wished I am already there, just so I can get one)...

Unless there is better reason than having too much money to burn!!!
For example, The only reason my old professor only drives MB, because it saved his son and himself from an horrible accident...

Last edited by slk_dds; 03-25-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-25-10, 01:15 PM
RooRa
Driver

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Not really, because you have already paid in advance; BMW & MB usually cost is $5k~$10k more than Lexus... so no it is NOT FREE !!!

European vehicles is only good to lease not to keep, they start to fall apart the second you drive out the chopshop (dealership)... My M3 and S500 had spent more time in the service bays longer than in my garage, never again I would purchase another European vehicles... EXCEPT EXOTIC ONES, do not have to worry about that till I turn 40 (some time I wished I am already there, just so I can get one)...
QFT

nicely put
Old 03-25-10, 02:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the stealers are hungry these days.

they want an extra $55 to rotate the tires.
sales are in the toilet so they are keeping themselves busy with service and TSIBs, .......and recall if its a toyota dealership
Old 03-25-10, 03:05 PM
AlDavison
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slk_dds

Unless there is better reason than having too much money to burn!!!
For example, The only reason my old professor only drives MB, because it saved his son and himself from an horrible accident...
LOL!!!
I'm convince.
--Al
Old 03-25-10, 03:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

I really love my Lexus and I am fortunate to own two of them. However, this is very tempting .......> http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx

My father in-law bought a 740 BMW and it fell apart. He bought it new and it was like new when he got rid of it. He bought a new RX330 and he said that he will never look back. He had it two year now and he continue to say how he love his Lexus.

No maintenance cost for a BMW up to 4 years is tempting though. He tells me not to do it.

--Al

actual cost of bmw maintenance isn't much in the first place.

what do you do during the 4 year warranty period, or 50000 miles?.....

oil change every 15000 mi.
= 3 oil changes.
let's just say 4 oil changes total.
4x $50 = ~$200 total for oil change.

rotate tires?
brakes? another couple hundred.

windshield wipers= cheap anyway.

what else?
anyone here try to break it down by element?

..... all for a grand total of $10000+ extra up front.
Old 03-26-10, 09:09 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Al - I also use Westside as my dealer. Probably the smartest thing I did was get a Lexus Visa card up front when I got my GS in 2007. The Lexus Visa lets you accumulate points towards purchase of a Lexus or maintenance/service. I used about $5000 in points to purchase my wife's RX and I've been using points to "pay" for oil change and 30k service on my GS350 once the 2 year service period expired.

Sure I could save a lot if I did it myself or brought it to a trusted mechanic to do it... but I'd still be paying something out of pocket at that point. This way, I can get it done virtually for free by using the accumulated points. I just make all of my purchases on that card and it works out great.
Old 03-27-10, 05:38 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Hi Al - I also use Westside as my dealer. Probably the smartest thing I did was get a Lexus Visa card up front when I got my GS in 2007. The Lexus Visa lets you accumulate points towards purchase of a Lexus or maintenance/service. I used about $5000 in points to purchase my wife's RX and I've been using points to "pay" for oil change and 30k service on my GS350 once the 2 year service period expired.

Sure I could save a lot if I did it myself or brought it to a trusted mechanic to do it... but I'd still be paying something out of pocket at that point. This way, I can get it done virtually for free by using the accumulated points. I just make all of my purchases on that card and it works out great.
The sales person said nothing to me about a Visa card. I notice that everyone had cards laid out on the counter when it was time to pay for maintenance.

We still have to pay $614 though and that price get higher when the car gets older. I have two Lexus. So that's at least $1200 a pop.

I need to check out the Lexus Card.

--Al

Quick Reply: 30k Miles Check-up Cost $614. What do You think?