GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tires - Want Quiet, Comfortable, Durable, Traction

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 08:22 AM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires - Want Quiet, Comfortable, Durable, Traction

My tires wore very unevenly and now it's time to replace the original summer tires that came with my 2008. This maybe goes against the grain of the forums here, but I'm looking for quietness, smooth ride, durability and traction. Performance is last on the list. As a disclaimer, this is my commuting car, although also my car of choice when not commuting, but with a family of 5, non-commute use is minimal. My commute is pretty much in a straight line, and I use the time to make phone calls, or relax, hence the stated desires.

I've seen a number fo tire threads here, but they all seemed geared towards performance. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Any data to support my wants?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-10, 08:31 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. That's what I wanted but Lexus wouldn't certify my ride bc they apparently have some deal with Michelin.

You can see it here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ranza+Serenity
Old 03-27-10, 08:32 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion to you is one of these four tires:

Michelin Primacy MXV4
General Altimax HP
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS
Old 03-27-10, 08:40 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Yep, Primacy is top rated, I just didn't know whether you had the 17 inch or 18 inch wheels. If you have the 18s, the stock size of 245/40/18 won't fit very well bc there will be some rubbing.

I also test drove a 2007 CPO GS 350 that had new Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and they didn't ride or feel like an Ultra High Performance tire. Sidewalls actually seemed soft and they rode like a Grand Touring tire. They were comfortable and very quiet.
Old 03-27-10, 08:59 AM
Tres
Driver School Candidate

Not to be pesimistic but "Quiet, Comfortable, Durable, Traction" reminds me of the saying "Good, Fast, and Cheap; pick two.

You probably won't be able to get all of the above requests but I'm sure the suggestions some of the guys have are a good combination of them. You'll hav to weight your typical road conditions (comfortable) with your geographic location (Traction, in bad weather) and so on.

Just something to think about.
Old 03-27-10, 09:42 AM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Ah, yes, I should have said I have 18" wheels. Also, traction is not huge, as I live in CA, but when it rains in the valley, it gets quite slippery. Still, traction is not a huge factor really. Just wanted to make sure safety is a consideration.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-10, 09:44 AM
Coolpop
Driver

OK, that being said, you can't go wrong with the Serenity or the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. They will both suit your needs.
Old 03-27-10, 09:45 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolpop
Yep, Primacy is top rated, I just didn't know whether you had the 17 inch or 18 inch wheels. If you have the 18s, the stock size of 245/40/18 won't fit very well bc there will be some rubbing.

I also test drove a 2007 CPO GS 350 that had new Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and they didn't ride or feel like an Ultra High Performance tire. Sidewalls actually seemed soft and they rode like a Grand Touring tire. They were comfortable and very quiet.
Why would 245/40/18 rub?

Also, the ExtremeContact DWS is MUCH cheaper - are those tires worth $100 more a piece?
Old 03-27-10, 09:50 AM
Coolpop
Driver

OOPS. Total error on my part.

I meant to say that 245/45/18 won't fit very well and that the Primacy doesn't come in the stock size of 245/40/18. What a colossal blunder on my part. Duh.
Old 03-27-10, 02:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am loving my Michelin Pilot Sport AS plus tires. Best I have ever had on any of my dropped cars. Do you need an AS tire or are you looking for sticky summer tires??
Old 03-27-10, 05:11 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Michelin Primacy MXV4 in the size 245/45/18. No rubbing during my driving. Only rubs when full turn reverse in parking lot which happens rarely for me. I love these tires and I already put close to 25k miles on them and they still have 75% thread left. It comes with a 60K miles warranty. The tires are smooth, comfortable, absorbs the bumps and holes very well and are excellent in the rain and snow. They are wearing evenly. I never rotate tires, its a waste of time as long as your alignments are up to spec since I had notice that the tires wear out faster if you rotate them to their new position. Reason why BMW doesn't recommend it. But that's each to its own. I recommend the Primacy any day!
Old 03-28-10, 03:47 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
My suggestion to you is one of these four tires:

Michelin Primacy MXV4
General Altimax HP
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS
I would stay away from Serenety-s, at least from H-rated. I have them on my Acura for last 45K miles and will not buy them again!
I can compare Serenety to Michelin Energy MV4V (I hope I spell model right) and to Turanza LSV, as I had all these on my Acura-s (TL-s).
In terms of comfort and noise, Michelin was outstanding for about 15K miles, and then it was the worst possible tire ever.
Turansa LSV was very good throughout almost entire life, but suffered from flat-spotting heavily.
Perhaps, no issue for CA, Serenity-s are not good in snow. In fact, these are pretty bad in snow and not so good on wet pavement. I bought H-rated to avoid flat-spotting (very annoying), but still have it. It is not as bad as with V-rated tires, but it is there. I read that Bridgestone tires are known for this.

On the positive side, the ride is very quiet and comfortable; almost as good as Michelin-s as the very new. Dry traction is fairly good. I cannot comment on handling, as I choose H-rated and its handling is obviously inferior to V-rated tire.
Just my 5c.
Old 03-29-10, 05:50 PM
niteflite
Driver

i had the pilot sport a/s plus and unfortunately wound up returning them due to pull/drift issues. see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...alignment.html

there are other threads on this forum and in other forums about this tire. seems like benz has officially declared this tire as non-compatible with their cars.....

interesting, though that when i called the local lexus dealer the only non stock option they had was this model.
Old 03-29-10, 08:50 PM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

Check out the Michelin.com website, answer questions about your car, view their recommendations. Michelin is a good tire. Every 5 years it seems a new tire comes out, so you gotta research tires again after your last purchase. I used to get Turanza, now get Primacy.
Old 03-29-10, 08:52 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another great tire that is smooth, quiet is the new Continental DWS tire.

Quick Reply: Tires - Want Quiet, Comfortable, Durable, Traction